cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband traffic graphs

N/A

Broadband traffic graphs

The broadband traffic by usage type graph has been looking ever more full lately. This week it is allowing very little P2P and usenet traffic through in the evening peak. We must be close to contention kicking in on browsing surely?

6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Broadband traffic graphs

If you look at the packet drop graphs here you will see Gold packets are being dropped on all BT gateways.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Broadband traffic graphs

Yep, but whereas when this happened a few weeks ago the answer was to fiddle to restrict the P2P traffic even more and so allow more HTTP through, it doesn't look like there is much more slack. We're close to the point at which HTTP users will be competing with each other for bandwidth.
N/A

Broadband traffic graphs

Well this is interesting. Have a new segment or two been lit? The graph in the opening post (which is up to date) is showing today as having more capacity.

Interestingly though, it is also showing that the added capacity has been nearly totally taken up by the HTTP traffic that was previously being restricted! And Gold traffic is still being dropped.

I wonder how much more capacity is needed.
James
Grafter

Broadband traffic graphs

We haven't added capacity, no. We did make some changes to allow FTP to have a better performance. However, we do have additional capcity on order which we expect to go live in March. May be earlier, may be later, depending on BT completing their work.
N/A

Broadband traffic graphs

Thanks for that, but then why is the top of the yellow band higher? Also, the blue band was flatlining the day before whereas it had room to grow last night.

Didn't I read elsewhere that a segment was to be restored in the next few days and a new central to be ordered later?
James
Grafter

Broadband traffic graphs

Not entirely sure where it would have come from seeing as the order hasn't been completed.

I think it's just a reporting issue with the graph.