cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband timeouts / switching broadband off

N/A

I may be a bit thick here but I've just been reading the new terms of condition and haven't spotted what was old and what is new - it's not like its been side-barred....

There was various comments about disabling broadband if you are connected for more than 24hours - er fine... maybe... but I don't understand. I don't have a mechanism for closing my broadband connection... does this explain why I get glitches in my internet connection every so often?

Another thing that annoys me is the pregnant pauses in comms more often or not. I thought I was paying for 512Mb per second - not 512Mb every couple of seconds or so...

Is it ok to mention such subjects?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Yawn, again Idle time outs!! Ivan

Hello etchelon

I think you've mis understood the changes to the T&C's. The problem relates to the fact that F9 PlusNet are going to use the "idle time out" as a way of disconectiong customers when they have reached maximum capacity on one of there big 622MB pipes at peak times. So specifically those customers who's ADSL connections are logged in but inactive for a period of 30mins or more will be disconnected this has certainly upset a great number of customers on the products affected.

**Remember that idle time out only relates to those users paying for Broadband Plus and also PAYGO services.

**PlusNet are anticipating a situation which hasnt even happened as yet and this is bye their own admission too.

**Disconnecting users on a braodband product is a contadiction because the product cannot be truthfully described as an always on service can itHuh :roll:

**With Braodband its quite possible to be connected but if no data is travelling over your connection then technically your service is idel, & thus you could potentially be disconnected by F9.

**This is a very stupid issue IMO because anyone who understand's the reality of this issue can just download a freeware program that will keep the connection alive even if its not in full use and hence never be disconnected, Durrrrrr!!! :roll:

Ivan
N/A

As far as I know from reading the terms myself, the idle timeouts only applies to the broadband plus. This means that if your connection is idle for 30 minutes it will disconnect. The 24 hour single connection time you have seen is only for dialup (non broadband connections) eg in section "5. Dial Access Acceptable Use Policy (All Unmetered Services)".

Since you mention that you don't have a mechanism for disconnecting I assume that you are using a broadband router of some kind for your connection. In this case the router will most likely automatically reconnect after a timeout disconnection. The router may connect again straight away or wait until a computer connected to it actually requests some traffic. But since this happens only when the connection is idle it shoudn't really be noticable at all and shouldn't be the cause of the pauses or speed drops you are describing.

A possible cause is the actual ADSL connection to the BT DSLAMS going down due to too much noise, a poor line, picking up or putting down a phone on the same line which is not connected using a splitter/filter etc etc If the download is stalling or pausing and the actual connection is not going down then it could be congestion on the internet or some other problem with the router or PC. This would be quite hard to get to the bottom of. It depends on what is supplying the traffic at the other end. It may not always be smooth.

Check the router log files to see if the connection is going down and then reconnecting during these "pauses" that you are describing. If the router in question doesn't have a log file most likely the adsl connection duration will be shown somewhere, see if this keeps getting shorter indicating reconnects. Check the router connection stats to see what the noise margin and line attenuation are. The bigger the noise margin the better if shown in a dB scale. This is the signal to noise ratio and is usually shown in dB, (signal dB - noise dB) so bigger numbers mean more signal less noise which is good! I think I read somewhere that a number bigger than 6dB is normally required for a stable connection but more than this may be needed I'm not sure.

It could be a line fault as mentioned above, idle timeouts should not be the cause of the pausing you are describing. If the modem/router is not disconnecting try and figure out when the pauses occur, if it is to specific sites, or generally. Perhaps the wireless connection to the router (if it is wireless) is breaking or perhaps the ethernet cable to the router is damaged. It could be any number of things really.

If the router/modem is disconnecting all the time during normal use then if the router/modem is not faulty and all phones in the house are connected correctly though a splitter/filter then it could be a line fault, perhaps the phone line is not good enough for broadband the 512Kbs that you say you have. Or perhaps it is a fault with the BT exchange side of the connection. In this case the solution would be to report a fault, the line may have to be regraded to a slower connection which would be more stable as a lower signal noise ratio is needed for a slower connection. BUT do not report a fault with the connection unless you are sure that this could be the problem as if there is no fault on the line you may get charged if a BT engineer visits your house and there is no fault.

Check the speed of your connection (in the router connection status) as its possible you may have just had your speed upgraded in a bulk upgrade but your line is not really good enough for the new higher speed as so needs to go back to the slower speed? This is another possibility.
N/A

Re: Yawn, again Idle time outs!! Ivan

**Remember that idle time out only relates to those users paying for Broadband Plus and also PAYGO services.

I'm sure that is not right Ivan. The email I had telling me of the idle time out is that it only affects BB+ accounts and no others. I have also seen replies about this by CS on other forums and the newsgroup.

Regards

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yes, the idle timeouts would only affect Broadband Plus and the older Home Surf account. It would not affect PAYG/Lite accounts.
N/A

Hi Mark,

My Apologuese!! I stand corrected as Dave pointed out so its just BB+ that this applies too. Shockedops:

Ivan
N/A

Hi Mark,

My Apologuese!! I stand corrected as Dave pointed out so its just BB+ that this applies too. Shockedops:

Ivan