cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband products and static IP (?) address

Brian_E
Grafter

I have been on the PlusNet Broadband Home Lite 1Mb with included 1GB bandwidth product for some time now. Since then, new products have emerged, some offering dynamic IP address (not sure if that is the correct term, so apologies if I'm wrong). One of these new products, Broadband Plus, is available for the same price as the one I am currently on (I pay £14.99 per month for a 1MB connection with additional amounts added if I download more than 1GB of data). I have heard that having a static IP address is not as good as having a dynamic one, so I was wondering if someone could confirm whether or not this is the case and also, if they could advise me of any other main differences between the product I am currently using and the newer Broadband Plus products? Finally, does anyone now if there is a migration fee?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
6 REPLIES
N/A

See: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/staticIP.htm

If you don't regularly go over 1 or 2GB per month I would suggest you stay on PAYG and avoid most of the traffic management that is present on BB+

I am not sure whether there is a charge to change - I seem to recall it was free going from PAYG to BB+, but I could be wrong...
N/A

To be honest if you do not know the difference between static and dynamic IP addresses then you don't need to worry about which one you have.

Short and VERY simplified explaination of the two types:-
Your IP address is the address by which your computer is known on the internet
A dynamic IP address means that ever time you connect you will -potentially- be allocated a different IP address where as a static IP address means every time you connect you will get the same address. If you want to run a server at home etc a static IP address is better but otherwise both do the job with no problems so don't worry about it Smiley

The security risks these days are pretty much the same and so a firewall is a mandatory piece of kit (or software) to secure your PC alongside antispyware and antiviri software...
N/A

It depends on what you want a Static IP address for really. If you not going to setup a server or use it to host something then a static IP address is the best way to go, Dynamic IP address is good for most users though as it offers some protection against DDOS attacks and the like, but it all comes down in the end to what you use the internet for and what you need a static IP address for.
N/A

These days with always on broadband dynamic addresses don't really provide any more security than static addresses - not to mention security by obscurity isn't really a very good policy Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I never bought the idea of dynamic IP offering more security.

How do you know what the person who had the IP before you was up to? He could have done something to attract a DDOS attack - and you are the unfortunate recipient.

At least with a static IP you know what's happening.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Brian_E
Grafter

I never bought the idea of dynamic IP offering more security.

How do you know what the person who had the IP before you was up to? He could have done something to attract a DDOS attack - and you are the unfortunate recipient.

At least with a static IP you know what's happening.

That seems like a fair point to a non-expert like myself. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. What prompted me to think about this was a freebie on a computer magazine disc which suggested that if you are not surfing anonymously, then you are at risk. However, their software (I think it was called Steganos Anonym or something similar) won't work with static IP addresses. I have a good firewall (Look 'n' Stop), Kaspersky AV and Spyware Doctor on my PC, so I ought to be fairly-well protected.