cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband plus - new terms

N/A

I am on the £14.99 pm for 2GB bandwidth and if I exceed this, I am charged £1.50(?) for the next 2 GB. When Plus had all these changes last year, I was told that the free usage ran from midnight to 8am. I think the package was called PlusNet Broadband.

Now on the homepage, I see there is this Broadband Plus which has 4 GBs for £14.99 pm and usage which counts towards this limit runs from 4pm to midnight. That is to say, free usage runs from midnight to 4pm.

Is my understanding right or am I missing something?

Do I have to apply to Plus to be transferred to this Broadband Plus package or am I transferred automatically? If the former, why does Plus not offer me the better package instead of leaving it to me to have to find these things out for myself?
27 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

I think you must be on payg as that product comes with 2gb initially and has an offpeak time of 12am - 8am
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You need to be aware that performance on BB+ particularly P2P and binary Usenet is significantly worse than PAYG. During the evening peak they are practically unusable. Other protocols will also be slower.

BB+ is a budget price product and gives budget performance.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Oh yes. You're right. I did not notice they changed the name of my package to PAYG.

Right then, why am I on this package when there is the other option of Broadband Plus which costs the same but gives me double the bandwidth with a longer free usage time? Do I need to request a changeover and if I do, is Plus going to demand an arm and a leg for this privelege? I have only just noticed that I was on Broadband Home Lite and then that became PAYG. Why can't they just bung me onto this Broadband Plus without bothering me with all these details since they managed to do so last year?

So Plus, what do I have to do to get onto the Broadband Plus package and what will it cost me to change?
N/A

Thanks Elvin. You are a bright spark. I was too busy venting my spleen to check if there were any new replies. So this Broadband Plus is link:censored then, like even worse than this PAYG? I am pretty fed up with the way they keep logging me off.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed attempt to bypass the swear filter : Please read the link:rules
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Before you do anything else you need to be aware that the speeds will start to slow well before you reach the 4GB limit.
If you are regularly going over 2GB usage then I would question whether Plus is the product for you.
Just seen your last post - PAYG does not log you off - if you are getting disconnections this is either a line fault or your equipment settings
Liam
Grafter

Thanks Elvin. You are a bright spark. I was too busy venting my spleen to check if there were any new replies. So this Broadband Plus is link:censored then, like even worse than this PAYG? I am pretty fed up with the way they keep logging me off.

I'd dispute that. Before I came to work at PlusNet I put a number of referrals on Plus and they're still enjoying a good service right now. A good service for what they want. Simple E-Mail and Web Browsing.

Broadband PAYG (formerly Home Lite) is an entirely different product with different rules. All traffic is prioritised, for example, as you're paying as you go, and you get a host of extra features like CCGI / Fax-2-Email etc...

I think you might like our new products that are coming our in mid-April.

RE logging you off? Are you having a problem with your connection?
N/A

How would I check whether I have a line fault or dodgy equipment settings? Sometime in the dim past, I am sure I never had this frequency of cut-offs so I just assume that Plus is nudging people off so as to free up bandwidth for other customers. After all the equipment is still the same and as far I know, the line's the same unless something's deteriorated over at the exchange - if I sound a total igno here, that's because that's what I am but I don't see why I need to have so much technical knowledge to get onto the internet. I don't know how my TV works either but I know how to switch it on and change the channels.

My husand is nagging me to switch over to Sky. His workmates tell him that it's a pretty good service and only costs a fiver. The last time I looked, they wanted £19 or so. I'd have to do a recce. I remember seeing some post last year about how people can switch away but still keep their email address for a minimal fee. Anyone care to advise on this please?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Sky broadband is only £5 if you already have Sky
Before jumping in with a 12 month contract with Sky have a read of this forum
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=sky
Community Veteran

Sometime in the dim past, I am sure I never had this frequency of cut-offs ... After all the equipment is still the same and as far I know ...

When PN announced the 'upto 8Mb' accounts did you click the links to say 'Yes Please' to this option?

If you did you have probably been moved to MaxDSL (this gives the upto 8Mb option), and this can/will cause a previously stable line to have periods of poor performance .. usually in the early to late evenings!

What make/model of modem do you use? Can you get it to tell you your ADSL line speeds and noise margins? What does it say here for your connection speed (it should be a number from 500 to 8000).

regards,
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Sky broadband is only £5 if you already have Sky
Before jumping in with a 12 month contract with Sky have a read of this forum
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=sky

Many thanks holtlane. I'll check the BB out.
N/A

When PN announced the 'upto 8Mb' accounts did you click the links to say 'Yes Please' to this option?

If you did you have probably been moved to MaxDSL (this gives the upto 8Mb option), and this can/will cause a previously stable line to have periods of poor performance .. usually in the early to late evenings!

Haven't a clue. If I saw such an option, I'm sure I'd have said 'Yes please'

The speeds I've seen in the last few weeks were ridiculous - 700 to 800kbs at times. You call this broadband? There must be something in the trade descriptions act about this. But what really annoys me is the way I lose the connection continuously at certain times - that's why I suspect Plus is bumping me off to let others on the network.

If I was so foolish to say 'Yes' to the aforementioned offer (and if it meant that I was also opting for a rubbish service, why did no-one spell the downside out to the punters? Kind of like the Devil offering me fame, fortune and wealth beyond the dreams of all avarice in exchange for my soul but conveniently neglecting to tell me of how hot it can be down below)

What make/model of modem do you use? Can you get it to tell you your ADSL line speeds and noise margins? What does it say here for your connection speed (it should be a number from 500 to 8000).

I got the modem from Plus - Dynamode ADSL USB modem model # A360 and the speed per your link is 500. As for speed and noise margins - Doh! What are talking about? I'm no geek.

Got to go now. Will return to this BB much later when I have time.
Community Veteran

the speed per your link is 500.

I am pretty sure you are on MaxDSL given this value. Can you post a ticket to PN support and ask them for a history of you 'Delta Reports'. The post them back here for us to see ...

As for speed and noise margins - Doh! What are talking about? I'm no geek.

We will come back to this if we have to once we the information requested above from PN. Wink

To be clear, changing supplier to Sky is not going to fix this problem as it seems highly likely your phone line is the problem not PN.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at your line speed history the speed keeps going up and down between 0.5Mbps and about 5Mbps. There could be a number of reasons for this, my first suggestion would be to take a look at the following and see if anything there helps:

http://usertools.force9.net/tutorials/id/13

Any incorrect wiring and filters or anything connected to the line without a filter could easily cause the problem that you are seeing.
N/A

Not that it makes a great deal of difference Dave, but didn't you mean to post the URL as http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

I know its the same page, but might confuse folks to see an F9 URL.