Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband information wanted

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

:? I am on the verge of buying my next computer and will be considering upgrading to broadband once I got it. I am at the moment on a dial-up with Plusnet, and I want some basic information on the Broanband Plus package. First, is it unlimited? Will I be penalised if one month I download more than usual? Do you provide the external modem? What will happen after I order the upgrade, ie who will come and check the line etc.. Basically, what I need is a step by step information on how to get broadband. I can get the UK online 512K broadband connection for £10 but I am reluctant to quit Plusnet as I think it is the best ISP around. Cheesy
6 REPLIES
N/A

Stay with Plusnet :!:
If you read the FAQs all your questions will be answered, but to put your mind at ease
NO - you won't be penalised if you download more than usual (especially if 'usual' means dial-up)
YES - the modem is supplied

As far as checking the line is concerned this is virtually an automated process and you will see in the sign-up pages that you need to enter your phone number and it will tell you then about availabity.
The speed provided is UP TO 2mb dependent on your location and distance from the exchange
Remember that some providers STILL charge £14.99/month for dial-up!!!!
But please read the FAQs
N/A

I agree with jgh4319 stay with Plusnet, Uk online have a bad reputation for customer support see forums in www.adslguide.org.uk

If you click on help on the main site toolbar next to member centre above it will give you all the information you want about BB+

On a personel note I signed up for broadband with Plusnet in May, it took six days from ordering to up and running including supply of modem, and I would recommend Plusnet to anyone interested in broadband.

Hope this helps you decide Cheesy
N/A

I've just been reading on another forum about someone's troubles with UK Online.
Evidently some ports are blocked with the result that, at the moment, if he wants to access his online banking, 18866 account details or basically any secure site (with a padlock) he's got to use a PC at the local library Sad
That can't be much fun
Lolaan
Rising Star

Thanks for your replies, I have been having a look in the faqs forum, I am still a bit baffled by the broadband plus and broadband pay as you go packages. I have been on a website where, by inputting your phone number, tells you what is available on your line. In my case, it says 512K or 256k. If it's true, I still will be paying the same as for a 2Mb, am I right?
The broadband pay as you go : it seems you still need to pay £14.99, plus whatever you download on top? Pay as you go for me is you pay for what you use, with no extra fee, you don't use it, you pay nothing.
Broadband plus : what's exactly the limit? Can you still download big files on it? (I download rarely, just the updates I need for my pc and antivirus) but I wouldn't like the idea that because I download a bigger file than usual once in a blue moon, I'll be penalised in some way.
Another thing : I ask the ones who are building my computer to add an internal dial-up modem, as I still want to be capable to have a pay as you go dial up as a security measure, if I got problems with my broadband connection. I know you can opt for an internal broadband modem instead, I don't know if it would be better to have that with an external dial-up modem. What do you think?
N/A

Hi again,

With broadband Plusnet will connect at the fastest speed your line will take up to 2Mbs, from what you say this looks like it would be 512kps (still a lot faster than dialup) I am connected at 1Mb as thats the max I can get.

With BB+ you can download as much as you wish there is no limit, if you went silly and went over 100Gb per month then you may be asked to reduce your usage.

BB+ will throttle your usage at peak times when the network is busy but only when using P2P (downloading music, films etc) everything else is at normal speeds
BB pay as you go is completely unthrottled.
I am on BB+ at £14.99 per month, used mainly for surfing, emails, downloading and like yourself PC updates and antivirus, my monthly usage is between 3 to 10 Gb and my family are probably online for up to 6 hours a day.

Yes you need to have a dial up modem as a back up incase your broadband goes down so have one fitted. Use an external modem or router for your broadband. A modem takes its power from your computer via USB port and connects to the I/net every time you switch the computer on, a router is more expensive that a modem and independant from the computer with its own power supply and is connected to the net all the time even when the computer is off , its personal choice which one you use, Plusnet will supply you with either when you order.

Cheesy Cheesy
Lolaan
Rising Star

Thank you for your replies, now I have a clearer picture of what I need to do. Once I got my new tower, I will explore upgrading to broadband plus.
Cheers Smiley