cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband in Rural areas

lengreen

Broadband in Rural areas

It is very nice to hear that my account has been upgraded to 8mb. However as I live a mere 2miles from an exchange I am made to feel fortunate that I can get broadband at all and that I should be grateful for 500k. Has PN any plans to address the needs of rural users. A suggestion,:-How about a reduced subscription for those of us who will never be able to get anything like 8mb
11 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband in Rural areas

Well, I guess thats not really Plusnets fault.

BT's problem and BT will charge PlusNet the same whether you are next to the exchange than if you were 2 miles from the exchange.
lengreen

Broadband in Rural areas

I realise Plus net do not own and operate the line side of things , but nevertheless it is to plus net that I pay a monthly fee for a service which they apparently cannot provide.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Broadband in Rural areas

I feel rather privileged that if I look out of my Window (and try to ignore the fact I live in an absolutely horrible area), I can actually see my exchange (well it's big metal "stick out of the groundy thing", lol).
Midville
Grafter

Broadband in Rural areas

I live in the middle of the Dales and the exchange is only down the road a few hundred metres. Luck of the draw I guess.
octafish
Grafter

Broadband in Rural areas

but nevertheless it is to plus net that I pay a monthly fee for a service which they apparently cannot provide.

The commitment is up to, which means PN will get you the fastest available speed up to that quoted at the time (eg 8MB). So, definitely not PN's fault.

Steve
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Broadband in Rural areas

For what he is talking about, it is PN's fault......... they were selling 4/8MB before it was even available ........
octafish
Grafter

Broadband in Rural areas

For what he is talking about, it is PN's fault......... they were selling 4/8MB before it was even available ........

Is that really what he's talking about? I don't get that from the post above. The 8MB regrade seems to imply the MaxDSL 8MB upgrade at his exchange.

As for those who paid in advance for 4MB/8MB services that were to be made available in the future well, yes, that never made much sense to me, which is why I moved from £39.99 Premier 2MB to £21.99 Premier. If that means I wait longer to go to up to 8MB MaxDSL well so be it.

Steve
willhome
Grafter

Broadband in Rural areas

nothing is speed based at plus net its all cap based. you can hit your premier or plus caps easily with a 512kbps connection.

someone on 8mb connection doing it in few hours or something doing it over time on a 512connection still gunna use the same amount of bandwidth if they both hit same caps and there for affecting plusnet in the same way.
octafish
Grafter

Broadband in Rural areas

nothing is speed based at plus net its all cap based.

A bit off topic here?

S
avalon
Grafter

Re: Broadband in Rural areas

as I live a mere 2miles from an exchange I am made to feel fortunate that I can get broadband at all and that I should be grateful for 500k. Has PN any plans to address the needs of rural users. A suggestion,:-How about a reduced subscription for those of us who will never be able to get anything like 8mb

Well I think that's more down to BT's wiring than the distance. BT have replaced most of the cables between my house and the exchange at various points over the past decade. I'm over a mile from the green cabinet, and there's around two more from there to the exchange. My connection is a rock solid 2Meg and the checkers say I should expect around 3.5-4 with my line stats.

So you might get better speeds in future, you just have to hope BT need to replace some of their wiring soon.
N/A

Broadband in Rural areas

nothing is speed based at plus net its all cap based.

A bit off topic here?

S
No

BT charge the same for an 8mb line as they do a 1mb line.

Hence no price differences.