cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband droping out regulary

N/A

Hi

I am not really a techie and before I log a support thought I would ask.

My home broadband drops every day around 21:30 ish. If I switch off the router for about ten minutes it reconnects but will usally drop again over night. It has hardly ever droped in the day.

Anyone else seen this behaver ?

Nigel
9 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

It's not usual to drop at the same time each day.
Sounds like interference from some local source - lights/heating turning on or off nearby, street lights, that sort of thing.
Have a think about what happens about the same time in your locality or house.

I'd say it's not anything to do with Plusnet.
N/A

Re: Broadband droping out regulary

It may be that there's something in your home that switches on at 9.30pm every evening.

You'd be amazed at the sorts of things that can affect ADSL - one poster on here discovered that their xmas lights (which were plugged into the same extension as the modem/router) would create noise on the line every time the were swtiched on. Strangely this was only ever an issue in December Smiley

Have a check round your house for big household appliances timed to come on at a set time... washing machine, electric heaters, security lights etc.

Also worth checking whether you have any PC processes timed to start - virus checks, disk defrangmentation etc. It ought not to affect a router, but you never know.

It could be something at the exchange, but try to rule out issues at home first!
Community Veteran

Re: Broadband droping out regulary

Anyone else seen this behaver ?

How long have you had the broadband connection? Has this behaviour started recently?

SW
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

It started about the time it got switched to the 8mb, would that make it more susepitable ?
N/A

Unfortunately yes, it can make your connection more susceptible to problems.
This is mainly caused by the nature of MaxDSL, it pushes your line to its limits to get the fastest most stable speed. Unfortunately though, it won't recognise one disconnection per day as instability, which could mean your line is still faster than it really ought to be.
I'm not sure if PN can adjust something to reduce the speed in an attempt to improve stability.
Also not sure if interleaving would help?
N/A

Interleaving ?
N/A

Interleaving ?
lhorwath
Grafter

Hi there,

Have a read of this page. Towards the bottom is a description of interleaving.

If your connections drops at pretty much the same time everyday, then it is normally due to an external factor as advised above. This can be anything from your central heating to your next door neighbour coming home and opening their electric garage door. At about the time it happens try and note everything that happens not just in your house but in your surrounding area.
N/A

Hi

I have had broadband for sometime now still with the same cheapy router and splitters. Could changing the router or splitters help ?