cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband bandwidth not fast enough

N/A

After recently purchasing the 2mb residential broadband internet connection, i am dissapointed at the internet speed i am recieving. It clearly stats when purchasing this deal: "2Mb Connection speed as standard" yes indeed standard. My internet connection speed on this service is 480kbps at best!!! this is about 25percent of the speed advertised (speed found through multiple bandwith speedometers aswell as plusnet's).

Please can i have somekind of exlpanation?!
20 REPLIES
N/A

I am having the same problem and I think that Plusnet must be capping speeds of certain kinds of downloads and uploads (e.g. file sharing, p2p).

I guess I'll have to migrate again (for the 4th time).
N/A

Hi there,

Just to clarify. Are you on the up to 2mb product @£21.99?

Or one of the more expensive products in the hope of getting faster speeds later?

Plus Net do not cap premier products at all.
N/A

Additionally,

Read the tutorial and run the tests outlined here to see where the problem originates.
N/A

In addition to Mark's points.... the 2MB packages will provide you with *UPTO* 2MB providing your line is capable of supporting 2MB - if not you'll get the fastest speed your line can handle.

If you can get the line stats from your modem or router post 'em here and we might be able to see what speed your line is capable of.

For the OP: Is that 480kbps speed your line sync speed (ie the reported connection speed from the modem?) - If so it implies the line isn't capable of 2mb.

All new provisions (from when I'm not sure) are done at the fastest speed you can get... and the packages do say *UPTO* 2MB

From the 2MB Package description. My emphasis in BOLD.

2Mb broadband as standard - up to 40x times faster than dial-up*
Super-fast 4Mb and 8Mb speeds coming soon.
Get the security of a fixed monthly payment
Ideal for experienced, serious Internet users
Suitable for homes with more than one PC
Premium quality service for all types of usage
* Broadband Premier comes at the fastest speed possible, up to 2Mb. If 2Mb is not available to you we will provide you with broadband at 1Mb or 512k.
N/A

Thanks for the information. I will lok further into my phone line and see what speed it can handle. By the way, the 480kbps is a speed test result, when connected to the internet, the modem speed shows a speed of : 576.0kbps.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
N/A

576 is roughly what you'd expect for a line syncing at 512 (the extra is the singaling overhead etc)
N/A

my technical terms and knowledge are quite poor so could someone explain what MTU is.CAn i adjust it, will it make a difference. I have been reading about it after doing a "tweak tester 2" test at broadband reports.com. It also recommends downloading something called "dr TCP".

Could i possibly have more information on this please?
Thanks
N/A

oh and my MTU is "1490" if that helps.
the_norris
Grafter

Hi leeks

See this thread for MTU tweaks Etc.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12116

Phil
N/A

i think you need to fnd out why you are sync'ing at 512 before anything else.....you did pay for a 2mb service.... Cheesy
N/A

and how do i do that?
N/A

Leeks,

From what you have said earlier, that your modem shows a speed of 576Kb/s would indicate that you have a 512Kb/s connection. Are you a new broadband user or have you migrated from another ISP? If you have migrated, were you on a 512Kb/s connection with your previous ISP? If you were then you will have been migrated on the same speed as your previous ISP connection and will have to either wait for the free upgrade to a 2Mb/s connection or pay £14.99 to upgrade now. If you were a new broadband user then I would contact CS and ask them why you have been provisioned with a 512Kb/s connection and not 2Mb/s. When you have a 2Mb/s connection your modem should report that you are syncing at a speed of 2272Kb/s and you should achieve downloads in excess of 1800Kb/s.

Steve
N/A

Steve

Thank you for your support. I am a new broadband user and have not migrated from another ISP. I have paid for a 2mb service. (what is CS? (sorry!))

"Leeks"
N/A

He is taking about contacting customer services, which the number is at the bottom of the page Wink