cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband and exchange distance

N/A

Is there going to be any point in the near future when ADSL will be able to cope with further distances from the exchange 3.5km being the limit for 2meg.

I have 1 meg just now but tbh. I see more and more people around me being upgraded for free to 2, 4 and 10 meg ( Telewest ). I dont have Telewest in my area. I am starting to feel like I am going to be on the equivilent of my 56k with the speeds some others are getting.
14 REPLIES
rammie1976
Grafter

I've just been regraded to 2mb, based on attenuation and snr. Don't think anyone was interested in distance from the exchange.
Alecto
Grafter

@stevieohara
The distance to the exchange is largely irrelevant. What matters are the downstream attenuation (or loss)and signal to noise ratio on your line.
Look at this excellent post about line loss , which will tell you all you need to know.
Your router will probably be able to give you the figures for your line so that you know where you stand.
N/A

You may want to have a read of this also:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/12
N/A

The distance to the exchange is largely irrelevant. What matters are the downstream attenuation (or loss)and signal to noise ratio on your line.

I wish that were true. I've got an attenuation of 42 and SNR of 30 and I cant get 2MB. BT just said that my line was not good enough for 2MB, so am stuck with 1MB and apparently there’s nothing I can do about it.
Alecto
Grafter

If it's just that your line has been misclassified by BT and they refuse the upgrade on the basis of incorrect records, then Mr Saffron at ADSL Guide appears to be the one to get them to amend their records.
N/A

thanks gpattison, but after digging around I found a site that said due to my line lenth I would not be able to get higher than 1MB and according to PN CS, BT said "The 43DB line attenuation is right on the level from 1Mb to 2Mb so when we have placed the regrade order to BT they have determined that for a stable connection it wont be good enough on your line. " no mention as to why!!

Now I know and you know that line length doesn’t come into it when the stats are within the limits for a 2MB connection, admittedly am right on the border but as I have friends with worse stats than mine who have been on a 2MB connection with no problems I fail to see why I cant get upgraded.

Also have I not read some where on this forum about bothering Mr Saffron about line stats and getting BT to amend their records?Huh
Alecto
Grafter

Yes I know - the exchange checker says I can only get 512k, and had I been applying for an upgrade now, I'd have been turned down out of hand.
BT usually just look at what the line checker thing says and go by that to make it easier on themselves. The flood of upgrades to 2Mb caused them more work than they wanted in fault finding.
That's where Mr Saffron comes in if your stats are OK for 2Mb as he seems to be the only person who can get them to change the details on the exchange checker. There are a number of cases mentioned in the forum where he's done this.
rammie1976
Grafter

[hand-waving mode on]ooh ooh - me, me!! [/hand-waving mode off] Cheesy

there's a thread on adsl guide which gives more info on contacting MrSaffron -
Link

[Moderator's note by Liam (martinfamily): Truncated link as it was stretching the page.]
N/A

TY again Geoff, ill get onto this as soon as I get home.........maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel :lol:
N/A

I am having similar problems - line attentuation at 41db, noise level 30-32db.

Currently on 1mb. Tried updating to 2mb which plusnet agreed to do looking at my stats (even though bt's checker says "maybe 1 meg (engineer visit may be required), 2 meg no" on their checker)....

...bt refused as "line not capable". Asked plus net to do whoosh test which came back with same results as my router. resubmitted the request - again bt refused with similar reason.

Both times there had been no interruption to the BB service to my router, so they didn't even TRY.

Explained all this to plusnet who apparantly put in a "manual request"..... which was again refused, and again there was absolutely NO interruption again, so once again they didn't even tryHuh

At a loss now. Also realised I'm paying for "Home Worker Pro - Up to 4MB" which is a joke as I can't even get 2 (apparantly). Sad
Alecto
Grafter

wizardry
This is where they just look at their (wrong) records and turn you down.
Contact Mr Saffron at AG with your figures and he will be able to get them to change their records.
Then you can request a regrade and it should go though.
N/A

just a wee question......... If we manage to get the records changed and are able to get 2MB lines do we then have to pay for the upgrade or will we get it free due to BT not updating their records??

I for 1 think we should get it free but you never know what PN will say to that.
Community Veteran

I think you'd get it free...
rammie1976
Grafter

I have just done this - I've even posted the ASDL link in this thread for you - and yes Plusnet regraded my line for free. :roll: