cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Update

N/A

Broadband Update

Since the beginning of this year the broadband industry as a whole has seen per customer increase in the mean monthly usage.

We've seen these changes too with mean usage per customer across all account types around 7GB per month and for Premier customers around 9GB per month. Around 90% of our customers use less than 10GB per month, in part this is down to huge growth in the number of Broadband Plus customers who are generally light users. At the same time though we've seen a relatively small growth in Broadband Premier customers, an increase of just 4% since May, and yet usage of Peer-2-Peer on Premier in the same time period has increased by around 100%. In May the average of amount of P2P traffic on Premier was 500Mbps today the figure is around an average of 1Gbps. In a world of exponential growth of one type of traffic you have to deal with the issue – all ISPs are going to have to deal with this in one way or another.

For the most part, where traffic is seeing a decrease in speed on our network it is down to a level of unsustainable usage. This usage makes up a considerable percentage of the 1Gbps of P2P traffic currently being seen on Premier accounts. It is our intention to further deal with this issue in the next few days.

The bulk regrade programme, which has put more people on the faster 1 and 2Mbps speeds has not seen an increase in latency sensitive applications, but has seen a huge upsurge in the heavy download protocols such as Peer-2-Peer. This has seen the need for traffic management and prioritisation in order for us to deliver the applications to people in the on demand manner which broadband is designed for. This has also been the basis of the management of the high utilization customers as we need to ensure that a very few customers do not impact the way the product is delivered to the entire userbase.

Since the start of the bulk regrade programme BT Wholesale have seen a huge increase in the volume of ADSL faults across all ISP's. In some cases this has led to delays at BT's side in responding to and resolving these faults. BT Wholesale are taking steps to return to normal turn around times and to prevent some faults (such as early life failures on 2Mbps by decreasing the limits) from occuring.

The increase in faults has also been the main reason for the delays with the rolling out the regrades to our (and other ISP's) customers. Tens of thousands of our customers have already seen the speed increase, the majority of the remaining regrades are scheduled to be completed by the end of October. Those customers who migrated to us after the regrades were done at their exchange will be mopped up in November.

As part of the bulk regrade programme, as well as for the forthcoming MaxDSL products, offering speeds up to 8Mbps, BT Wholesale have upsized the Virtual Paths (VP's) from their exchanges, however on a per user basis capacity has actually been reduced. BT have always sold IPStream Home on a 50:1 basis, however it's never actually been provisioned at this level of contention. With the increase in speeds they are now provisioning ADSL services nearer this contention ratio and people on the higher speeds may notice bigger speed decrease. This means that IPStream in general is not running at the previous levels over capacity as it had been, some customers with different ISP's have already seen the effects of this and have also noticed the difference between IPStream Office and IPStream Home. A 10% slowdown on 500kbps is 50kbps, a 10% slowdown on 2Mbps is 200kbps, a much more noticeable figure.

We believe that as P2P usage increases every ISP is going to have to manage their traffic in a similar manner to us and to prioritise the latency sensitive applications as we are doing too. By not taking these measures an ISP will run the risk of either seeing their costs spiral out of control, or they will have a traffic free-for-all which will benefit no-one.
90 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband Update

[joke]I vote for the free-for-all[/joke]
Community Veteran

Broadband Update

Well I don't.
N/A

Broadband Update

wait, what are we talking about? [joke] (look! 500 posts!)
N/A

Re: Broadband Update

Those customers who migrated to us after the regrades were done at their exchange will be mopped up in November.

Mind mopping up my exchange, its 5 months overdue!
N/A

Broadband Update

lol ye lets go for the free for all since im shipping out lol....

ah well this is just a perfect example of the crap uk wiring it all needs to be dug up and relayed with fiber the goverment want bb but they dont want to contribute to it if they helped with laying it then everyone would benifit in my opinion....

im llu a soon as possible dont like bt network lol...

so basically what you saying is the ppl that pay 39.99 for 8mb might get it as long as no one else is doing anything bad or there aint to many ppl on at the time lol that sounds like a great service for 40 quid

it like the 2mb one pay the 21.99 but be warneed ou might be unlucky and not get the full speed
channel
Grafter

Broadband Update

So what happens now?

Here's my guess:

Broadband Premier £21.99 = 20 Gb limit
Broadband Premier £29.99 = 50 Gb limit
Broadband Premier £39.99 = 80 Gb limit

and you can exceed the limits once every three months?

Dave/Stew - am I hot or cold?
Community Veteran

Broadband Update

That's worse than the FUP
Community Veteran

Broadband Update

I don't think he will be far off.
N/A

Broadband Update

Not happy about that! Looks like i am going to have to tell my house mate off if they stick limits in like that! I am quite happy with my £15per month with an unspecified limit of 100G's.
Alecto
Grafter

Broadband Update

So is this the strategy then?

They jack up the throttling on all accounts, slowly and steadily over the next few months, till everybody without exception is noticing and complaining about the slowness.
Then they offer this brilliant new unthrottled service, but of course they have to have caps of 30Mb or whatever, or they couldn't offer it and still be fair to everyone.

And everybody is so grateful for the speed they used to get anyway before Pn started throttling it, that they say, wow this is brilliant, I don't mind the cap, well done Plusnet.

And it's a lot cheaper than adding new pipes.

:twisted:
Neil_A
Grafter

Broadband Update

Also just seen this research into European ISPs released by Ellacoya which confirms our data.

http://www.ellacoya.net/news/pdf/2005/EllacoyaEuropeData.pdf

Expect to see more and more ISPs across Europe dealing with heavy usage and introducing traffic shaping based on traffic types.
channel
Grafter

Broadband Update

Hmmm. Definitions of "research" from dictionary.com suggest the following:

* Scholarly or scientific investigation or inquiry. See Synonyms at inquiry.
* Close, careful study.
* To study (something) thoroughly so as to present in a detailed, accurate manner

But what you are pointing to is a press release from the company that supplies traffic shaping and throttling equipment. That's more like company propaganda than research.

I'm sure we'll be seeing plenty of similar "research" in future.
N/A

Broadband Update

id have to agree with channel lol...

also is this thread trying to justify the very very very very real problem of your networking pretty much stop all forms of torrents.....you know it happening.

is it not time instead of justifying it, for you to admit you are making p2p and torrenting pretty much unusable on your network to remove the usage from your network.....

Also isnt it a great idea to remove your biggest bandwidth issue with use of shaping to prevent need for new pipes and also allow you to get more users on your current pipes (Sarcasm on great idea)

surerly pipes should be getting cheaper with a greater demand must be like other businesses the greater the demand the less it costs
Community Veteran

Broadband Update

Econonmies of Scale - Try putting that to BT.

I for one am not against the shaping, however I would be against the shaping be used as an excuse to not light new pipes.

May I point out to those who don't know that the unlit sections of the 622's have to be lit at somepoint I think Dave said it had to be done by February.