cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Unusable :(

N/A

Hi all,

I posted a while back about having problems with my line, but was not entirely sure if it was my hardware or not.

Well several hardware changes and a BT visit later and my broadband is still largely unusable.

The problem is that the line keeps losing sync. Sometimes the connection will be good for an hour, then drop the line, then reconnect and be ok for a bit again. but this is very rare. usually....if i am lucky i can stay connected for about 5 mins, then sync drops, reconnects, drops etc.

What is odd is that the problem is not as bad during the mornings/early afternoon, but most evenings the service becomes totally unusable.

A BT engineer visited a week or two ago, in the morning. But unfortunately during his visit the line did not disconnect and he said that it was all fine and that the likely cause of the problem is intermittent interference on the line from outside, such as a faulty lamp-post! Sad

He was unable to offer any suggestions of what I could do. I still have an open ticket with plus.net, but we seem to be going round in circles.

I Have been through all the usual stuff like disconnecting everything and plugging modem into hidden master socket etc. My line quality is not great according to the stats and is unable to support 2mb but had been working smashing at 1mb up until just over a month ago.

So I guess what i am asking is, does anyone else have this problem....especially south sheffield. Has anyone any ideas of what I could do, and does anyone know whether this is likely to be a plus.net or BT prob?

Sorry for the length of my post, but I am at a loss as to what I can do....and am not convinced changing ISP would produce any better results.

Thanks for reading.

Chris
15 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

If you're actually loosing synch, this is most likely going to be an issue between yourself and the BT exchange. It could be, as the engineer said, due to something causing interfearance on the line, though you'd expect a regular set of drop outs for this. As in the past people have reported loosing their ADSL connection as soon as the central heating comes on.

With it happening more in the evening, it could be due to some issues at your exchange that BT aren't reporting yet, so it could be a case of waiting for BT to resolve this.

Though the best thing to do is continue going through the diagnostics process with ourselves and BTW, so that the fault can be fully identified and resolved.
N/A

Thanks for the swift reply.

I don't think its the heating as it happens regardless whether it's on or not.

The annoying thing with my ticket at the moment is that its been ongoing for about a month and for the second time I have been sent the BT 15 questions thing, to which i did respond saying i had already gone thru this, but there has been no follow up to that as of yet. Of course i am currently paying for a service that I cannot use Sad

Chris
JonathanW
Grafter

Please try and keep in mind that the faults team who liase with BT don't work at the weekend, so depending on when you responded to the ticket, they might not have seen it yet.

Once everything is sorted out though, the billing issue can be looked into for you. Though it isn't possible to say what'll happen, as it does depend on several factors.
N/A

Looks like your line might not be good enough for 2meg (not what you want to hear I'm sure but that's the laws of physics im afraid) Sad

I had similar problems when I upgraded from 512K to 1mb (I shouldnt be even able to get 512K). I cured this by rewiring my home phone cable with UTP as it was simply interference in the house which was causing it, and now my 1MB is rock solid.

If you can, post your line stats during the periods of when you are getting disconnected (try and do this when the line is sync'd and connected). It may be the case you have to stay on 1Mb Sad
N/A

gotdsl

thanks for your thoughts, but..

yes I am limited to 1mb because my line is too poor for 2mb. when i do sync it is at 1mb. The issue is not that I cannot get 2mb as I already know that nothing can be done about this. The issue is that even at 1mb the line keeps losing sync. I will post the stats when i get home tonight....indeed if i can actually get online, but from what the BT man said I am within the limits of the 1mb requirements. - but not by much.

chris
N/A

Hi Sounds like we are experiencing a similar problem to you deck.

We have been running a broadband connection with plus net for 18 months and upgraded to a 2MB connection in May of this year. However our line will only support 1MB but that was fine and everything was fine and running smoothly.

About a week ago we started having problems, especially in the evenings. Our broadband disconnects of its own accord and when we try to reconnect get a DSL Sync error.

We don't understand why it has suddenly gone AWOL, can someone offer us advice please?

Many thanks
N/A

that sounds very similar to me. Been looking at the BT upgrades schedule and apparently my exchange was due for an upgrade about the time things started going wrong....coincidence?

Chris
N/A

I think u missed this thread Wink
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34945
anyway my connection has been working fine again since friday.so hopefully i'm out of this nightmare..

btw my problems started the 27th october.....was that when your problems started too?
N/A

no its more like 4-6 weeks ago now.
N/A

Hi welcome2earth.

I just read through the 5 pages of posts in that link and it sounds very similar to the problem I am having. Did plus.net/BT ever give any explanation as to what was the cause?

cheers
N/A

Please try and keep in mind that the faults team who liase with BT don't work at the weekend, so depending on when you responded to the ticket, they might not have seen it yet.

Once everything is sorted out though, the billing issue can be looked into for you. Though it isn't possible to say what'll happen, as it does depend on several factors.

Jon Whiting
PlusNet Customer Support

Hmmm... wonder where i heard this chestnut before...

similar thing happened here , same things said,

Z I L C H

Am i glad i have my mac key, waiting for the changeover as i type.
Glad to see the back of certain goose stepping moderators as well.
N/A

Grrrr!!

quote from ticket "
To book an appointment please call our support line and choose option 6 from
the main menu. This will allow you to leave a message to advise of
convenient appointment times. An engineer will then be booked and a member
of our faults team will return your call to confirm the appointment date and
time.
Regards, "

ok, so where is the support phone number? seems to be very well hidden on this website.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Our support number is 0845 1400 200, and can be found at http://www.plus.net/support/general/contact_details.shtml.
N/A

ok thanks.

Can I suggest that it is also put clearly on the "Contact Us" page, as this is where one would expect to find it.

Chris