cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed Measurements Vary

N/A

I have just checked my Broadband speed and notice a significant difference if I use Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. IE appears to be 3 times faster than MF.

I don't understand this because the PlusNet speed test should surely be testing the 'line' and not the software used - i.e. the SPEED of Broadband should basically be the same. (Shouldn't it?)

If I am getting the IE speed, then I am happy - if it is the MF measurement then I am not.

Any explanation from PlusNet, or anyone else?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Just tried mine.
IE 1734.1
MF 1915.1
N/A

Interesting, but surely there are slight variations all the time so it will hardly ever be exactly the same when tested on two different browsers. e.g. Firefox at 10.25 then IE at 10.27.
My results using the DSLZone test are
Firefox 1924 (at 10.30pm)
IE6 1935 (at 10.32pm)
Firefox 1930 (at 10.46pm)
hitachi
Grafter

Most speedtesters use java, the application of java may be different between the browsers.
N/A

The checker PlusNet use (which is publicly available for download, but I can't find the link) is done in JavaScript, which is a very poor choice for testign speeds.

In a nutshell, speeds will vary from browser to browser, PC to PC and even from user to user (upon the same PC and browser).

JavaScript is reliant of making a note of the time the test starts, stops and calculating the time it took to download X bytes of data. The problem is, if the PC or browser is busy, then the start or stop events may be captured incorrectly.

This gives false/invalid readings.

I don't understand this because the PlusNet speed test should surely be testing the 'line' and not the software used - i.e. the SPEED of Broadband should basically be the same. (Shouldn't it?)

Well, to get pedentic, all tester much use some form of software at the end of the day. Computers can't function without instructions.

There is a lot more involved in how speed testers function. I can give you several reasons why the PlusNet one is good, and several why the ADSL Guide one is bad.

However, my own opinion is that the PlusNet one is very very poor, and I no longer tell people to use it as an example.

The BT Speedtester uses the same technology as the PlusNet one, only in a different way. They are subject to the same flaws, but I trust the BT one way over the PlusNet one.