cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Premier price query

N/A

Hi there, received an e-mail from plusnet yesterday evening which contained the following information:

- What happens to my account?
1. There will be no change to the subscription for your service. 2. We will improve the contention level that you registered for, from 50:1 to 30:1. By managing broadband through contention, we can continue to provide you with an enjoyable Internet experience without introducing fair usage guidelines.

I am on a 1Mb Broadband Premier contract and currently pay £29.99.

Because of the extremely confusing events of the past couple of weeks I now have no idea whether I am paying more for this service than I should be!

Please could someone inform me if my monthly payment should change (although from the text above it seems to say it will stay the same).

There are numbers and prices plastered all over the place in this forum but they only add to my confusion, for example it seems there are people paying £21.99 for 2Mb?

Sorry if I should have put this in the 'FUP Withdrawn' thread but it has become so monstrous that I feel it would be ineffective to answer my query.

Thanks.
20 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Unfortunately, Plusnet won't be making an announcement about the new Premier products until 28th April.

It is my understanding that you will then be able to switch down to £21.99 Premier (which will be 2Mb) Free of Charge should you wish to.

Unfortunately I'm not very clear about the whole process myself, so don't quote me on that.
Alecto
Grafter

According to their announcement, if you pay to go down to £21.99, they'll refund the £14.99 - so you might as well do it before the rush.
See item 18 here

Presumably they're thinking about how to handle all the people paying for old-style 1Mb and 2Mb accounts without giving them their money back.
N/A

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, so i rang Plusnet yesterday to ask why i am paying £29.99 for 1mb premier when others are paying £21.99 for 2mb.

Heres the answer:
" you are paying for an older service. There is nothing stopping you from upgrading to 2Mb for a fee of £14.99"

So i said, seeing as i'm paying more can i have the regrade for free?

" no, but you can also downgrade your account if you like also for a fee of £14.99"

This all sounds a bit incredible to me, So i then asked if i will get a refund of the £7 difference.

Again "NO"

So before i started ranting down the phone i hung up
LiamM
Grafter

According to their announcement, if you pay to go down to £21.99, they'll refund the £14.99 - so you might as well do it before the rush.

It is no longer possible o change your package within Premier, until April 28th.
N/A

Thanks for that reply Liam.

Am I correct in saying that at the current time there are people with 1Mb lines paying £21.99 (because they wanted to be on 30gb FUP)?And now these people will have their regrade fee reimbursed?

If so, then as things currently stand I am paying £8 more than someone and we are both on exactly the same product 'Broadband Premier 1Mb' with no difference between us in terms of FUP and contention.

Surely this cannot be true, and if it is then I would expect to be immediately put on the £21.99 band in time for my billing date which is tomorrow!

The situation gets even worse if I consider the people who thought they were on 70gb FUP and could potentially pay even more!

Sorry if these issues have been discussed, but could a member of the CS please answer me? I have only made 2 posts and I promise to disappear back into the ether once my query has been answered!
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks Liam. They don't tell you that.
So if you didn't get in with the downgrade before FUP was scrapped, you've missed it.
N/A

Bit of a slow typer so I didn't see the posts after Liams while I was writing my second post!

Thanks for your answers guys, they are very helpful and a lot more concise and succinc than any I would have got from the cs team I feel.

Looks like I will just have to pay more for the same service but at least I know there are others in that boat with me!

Moving house in 2 months and was going to get Plusnet at my new place but don't think I will bother now.

I am sure I was asking questions that have already been answered so thanks again for the help.
Alecto
Grafter

according to this you'll get a free package downgrade.

Information is creeping out all the time!
Julie
Grafter

this so called info creeping out all the time is not good enough...
we need this second official announcement ...
Plusnet get the facts sorted and publish this 2nd announcement to your customer base before they all lose faith completely...if they haven't already :roll:
N/A

I am guessing earliest that will happen is the 28th though. After my billing date.

Although I am doubtful it will even happen on the 28th, i expect that this free regrade will somehow morph into a cost of £14.99 or something.

Oh well, so be it.
LiamM
Grafter

Yes, once the new packages are announced, AFAIK you can have one free downgrade. So if you're not already on £21.99 Premier, then you can downgrade to it for free. This will eventually be for 2Mb once all the free upgrades have occured, unless you jump the queue, or have 2Mb already.

Higher speed products are going to be more expensive.

I'm not sure what happens for people with billing dates between now and the 28th, or indeed for all the people that didnt downgrade because of the FUP. Plusnet haven't been very forthcoming, but I would be pushing for a refund if I was you, given that you couldn't downgrade before your billing date.
Alecto
Grafter

this so called info creeping out all the time is not good enough...
we need this second official announcement ...
:

I'm sure we'll get the announcement once they've worked out what they want to do. :roll: I suspect the target of the 28th is like a Blair target - i.e. a figure they've thought of that might be nice, bearing no relationship to what can be done or ought to be done in the time.

It won't be long before we see on the forum "Sources close to Plusnet say that......."
LiamM
Grafter

Funny. Cause the usergroup have seen the announcement, as have I. So it could be possible.

Won't be me tho!
Alecto
Grafter

I gather Plusnet have just recruited Alistair Campbell as Director of Communications. Tongue