Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Premier Update

Ben_Brown
Grafter

Broadband Premier Update

Dear customers,

As a follow-up to last night’s update on how we manage our network, I’d like to keep you abreast of some issues that have arisen.

Following customer feedback and some detailed investigations that our engineering team have undertaken, it has come to light that a small number of Broadband Premier customers have been assigned an incorrect traffic shaping profile. This has meant those customers are seeing significant reduction in file-sharing download speeds.

We believe this has affected around 2,000 of our Broadband Premier customers. Where we have assigned an incorrect profile we will be amending this during the next 24 hours and those customers should see a noticeable improvement. We applied a fix to some network equipment this morning and will apply further upgrades tomorrow morning.

The vast majority of Broadband Premier customers should only be seeing a small percentage decrease in file-sharing speeds during busy hours.

Earlier in the week we also posted a security update for customers announcing that we were blocking an increased number of ports to protect our customers. Following customer feedback that this was negatively impacting some IRC applications we will be removing those port blocks from Broadband Premier customers during the next 24 hours. As these will be removed we’d like to remind customers to ensure they have adequate security measures in place.

I would like to apologise to customers for any inconvenience this has caused you. We realise that the changes we have made has caused some angst for some of our customers. I would ask customers to be patient with us and understand that we are at the leading edge of issues that are facing the whole industry – that is how to manage services to give great performance and great value, while introducing line speed increases and changing traffic profiles as high-bandwidth applications become more popular.

Yours faithfully,

Neil Armstrong
Head of Marketing, PlusNet
13 REPLIES
simonh
Grafter

Broadband Premier Update

So much for it being a problem at our end.
N/A

Broadband Premier Update

Haha, you just reminded me about them saying that.

Meh.. it's always our fault, remember :lol:

oh and 2 words:

Still Throttled
N/A

Broadband Premier Update

To be fair, I just want my speed back.

If an error has been made, found and actioned. I can wait.
simonh
Grafter

Broadband Premier Update

Still throttled, yes, but let's see just how much of a reduction in speed there is when it works properly. My objection isn't really to the actual shaping (provided it's really only 5%), but to the complete change of product. Whatever +net say, IMO it is a new product and should come with a new price.
N/A

Broadband Premier Update

Aye.

They have done signifigant changes, and if they want to put port restrictions on it again, they should consider making a new product for it.
N/A

Broadband Premier Update

Accidentally assigned 2000 customers the wrong traffic shaping profile? Rubbish. Hand in the cookie jar again. They just hoped we wouldn't notice.

At least it's getting sorted now. Until the next time someone makes a "mistake"
N/A

Broadband Premier Update

Well without sounding like a sheep, thanks for fixing it. BT is flying along now.
N/A

Broadband Premier Update

Hmmm.

Glad it's being sorted.

But...

From what I remember from the ..er.. discussions that went on, I though that the shaping was applied across the board for each account type.

So how do 2000 accounts 'accidentally' get a different profile? And especially one with such a significant effect on performance. Someone, somewhere has allocated that profile to just those accounts. If it was a mistake on the ratios, surely it would have gone acroos the board as all the premier users should get the same shaping. Whay were those 2000 in a different group?

Also, how does it take so long for it to show up? Surely just looking at one of the accounts affected (someone will have raised a ticket) would have shown up that the wrong profile was allocated, leading to the others?

So yes, I'm pleased it's being sorted. But the reason sounds a bit, well, weak.
LiamM
Grafter

Broadband Premier Update

I believe that there is more to this than PN are letting on. But if they promise to have it sorted within 24 hours soon. Then that sounds good to me.

I don't have much faith in getting much more info out of PN on this one.
N/A

Broadband Premier Update

Well, we all know they didn't put as much effort into all this as they could of done, as they didn't even announce it untill a day after (or something) it happened.

Probably unorganised jargon that went on.
simonh
Grafter

Broadband Premier Update

A huge balls up, more like.
N/A

Broadband Premier Update

Well I'm glad it's sort - just in time I was going to reformat my harddrive as I had run numerous tests to see if something was wrong at my end, and if I had reformated I was facing at least two days of putting the computer back to the way I like it!!
I only hope that +net have learnt something from this and that we, as customers, will not have this sort of thing happen again, and any future changes that +net feel they need to impliment are posted for discussion, with us the customers, before being implimented. There are some very intelligent people using this board and their opinion would only help +net with any future changes.

Not so sure this is sorted downloading a file with 10 seeders 49 peers with an average of 44% completed - I've got 0% completed downloading at max 10kbs it's going to take me 13 days counting a day as 24 hours
Community Veteran

Broadband Premier Update

Yip, PN generally provide a very good broadband service but their communication leaves a lot to be desired of late - consulting with a wider section of their user base than the UG can only be a good thing even though the UG do a great job they can only show their views to PN when consulted on something others don't know about where as if the wider community were consulted they would be able to get a wider representation of views on the issue in question.