Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus???

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Broadband Plus???

i apologise in advance for this rant!!!

I am a lite user ie Surf, E-Mail etc, and occ download updates and patches, occ stream movie trailers, and talk to family abroad over MSN with a webcam. Struggle to get to 1.5Gb a month never mind 4!! I though BB+ would be ideal for me but its becoming increasingly apparant that its not!!.. Surfing at peak times is at best laggy, at worst unusable, e-mail takes an age to download, and getting updates for printers etc if they are on FTP sites is nigh on impossible, even getting updated drivers of NVideas site is crap, also streaming the occ movie file is laggy. This to me is unacceptable. I keep within the confines of the product by a large margin, but the product itself is unusuable. Why oh Why do plus try and sell this product. I know they say its not for heavy downloaders, but I dont see myself in the category at all. I feel I am left with 2 options:-

1.. Upgrade to PAYG, with the occ risk I may go over the incuded 2Gb of useage.
2.. Move ISPs with all the problems with E-Mails addresses etc and updating logins etc etc.

Some people may say stop whining and move product, as it costs the same, but the point I am trying to make is that the product is not giving what it says it does. Why should the lite users be made to suffer for the selfish lot who download Gb of data. Cany the hellecoyas distinguse bewteen users as well as traffic and not throttle the hell out of everything. Hopefully if I move to PAYG, if I am still seeing speed issues, this is inexcusable from Plus, as the PAYG profile is the 2nd highest on the list of priorities, whilst BB+ is bottom. Also its not due to exchange contention as the exchange has just gone back into the green again, after weeks in the red.

Again sorry for the rant, just had to get it off my chest.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus???

It's always better to get things off your chest ... but I'm not sure it's the product design or management at fault (although it could easily be PN's network of course).
I'm a BB+ user and do all the things you do, and I get perfectly good enough performance. All this while my exchange is on red too.
So maybe you need to raise a ticket and ask PN to check that all is well before you shell out for an upgrade? It'd be a pain if you paid only to find nothing had improved ...
MrToast
Grafter

Broadband Plus???

I have no personal experience of BB+

However, if you are sure you are within the descritopn of the product and it is not delivering what it says on the tin you might consider raising a ticket through 'Contact Us'.

In the end there may be a fault that can be fixed. I've seen other posts on here from those whose accounts had not been set up on the correct profile.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

Broadband Plus???

unfortunatly it doesn't matter what package you are on , you will still be hit by huge throttling in all areas of your account.

I am on BB Premier 8 MEG, but I , along with thousands of others have to compete with severe slowdowns in all areas. P2P,FTP,USENET,HTTP,E-MAIL will all be severely thottled thanks to the ellacoya management regardless of the package you are on ..

I can't get over 10-20KB/s in any area, regardless of what I am using and as a result find it impossible to reach the 20Gig limit on the account. Don't you see, this is what plusnet want so they aint gonna change it or invest in extra capacity.

Just look at these forums and the amount of complaints about speed, its now just laughable. There are numerous threads complaining about the terrible speed of pop3 email retrieval but as usual no answers from plusnet.

Best advice is to request your MAC and leave, its unfortunate but its what you have to do if you want to use your connection for what it was designed for.

Many respectable ISP's would welcome you, and wouldn't reward your faithfulness by slamming you with HUGE speed restrictions ..

:roll:
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus???

Thanks

They have had BT look at my line, and they say all is well, which I agree with. I first thought it was due to exchange contention, but now exchange green, and to be honest all the issues only started approx 4 weeks ago, and the exchnage has been red for approx 3 months.
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus???

Just been informed my customer services via a ticket, that to downgrade my account to PAYG(??) I need to pay them £14.99. This is just laughable that they want me to pay to move to a service that will meet my needs, from a service that should do, I need to cough up more money to them. Shoddy!!!!
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus???

huh?

PAYG is the same price as BB+ and therefore there should not be the £14.99 charge.

In theory BB+ is the right product for you however due to printer drivers and stuff being often delivered by FTP the shaping kicks in as FTP is classified as bronze.

PAYG should get round this and IMO is a far better product - but why should you have to change product when you are on one that should meet your needs with no problemsHuh?
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus???

FTP is such a moveable feast though Daniel and while I can get 700KB/s off peak from some sites, it can be as low as 20KB/s (even off peak) ... the inconsistency is itself irritating.
suec45
Grafter

Broadband Plus???

Hesketh, raise a ticket.

You are the perfect buyer of Broadband Plus, so if it is not working for you then there is something wrong somewhere and Plusnet will acknowledge this.

Although we had a hellish week, just last week, my FTP speeds are back to normal, pings are fine, I havent used P2P yet.

When James is back on Monday, have a chat with him, I am sure he will sort it out for you.

There have been problems with all things the past week, but it seems to be sorted for me now, have you tried these things today? Or are you going on how it has been the past 2 weeks?

The only thing you should have poor speeds on is P2P. FTP should result in reasonable speeds, and you should get good pings for gaming and good http speeds on BB+.

Raise a ticket and explain what you wrote in the original post.
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus???

Thanks suec45

I will post another ticket, and see what happens, although I did post a ticket a couple of weeks ago complaining of PPP disconnections and speed issues, and plus recommended PAYG for me, given my useage. I will try and contact james next week.
suec45
Grafter

Broadband Plus???

Hmm why would they recommend PAYGO when you are the perfect customer for BB+?

If BB+ doesnt work well for you, then its not going to work well for anyone.
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus???

i think the situation is, whilst on paper BB+ is the perfect package for a lite user, the amount of bandwidth throttling going on, and BB+ being at the bottom of the queue, makes it unusable for anything more than surfing and E-Mail. TBH, it was better last night, except for trying to download a printer driver for my father, from the epson site. Download speeds ranged from 5kb to 14kb!!! when speedtests show a download speed of just under 4meg. I presume epson is using an FTP site, and that the hellacoyas are just throttling the connection. It was at 6pm on a sunday evening.
suec45
Grafter

Broadband Plus???

Yes, you are probably right.

You definitely would be better off on PAYGO, but the fact that with your extremely light usage, you cant make BB+ work, doesnt bode well for the package overall.

Its one thing to throttle down P2P, but so many sites use FTP that you are going to be severely limited in what you can downlaod if FTP is throtled heavily.