cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus

N/A

Broadband Plus

Can anyone give an explanation on the 'Broadband Plus' product mentioned in Plusnet recent e-mail ?

Is it going to be something that has smaller download cap but still has ability to have fast speeds ? but is less in price than the £21.99/30gb product.

Apprechiate comments

Andrew Beevers
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Broadband Plus

I posted this in another thread

Whilst I can't give you all the details on Broadband Plus, simply because not everything has been decided upon yet, I can give you an idea.

Broadband Plus will first be based on MaxDSL so you will be able to get the fastest speed that your line can support.

Second it will be a service that is network managed, or has QoS applied to it. What this will mean is that while your web browsing will be nice and quick all the time the "heavier" less bursty types of download like P2P or binary newsgroup downloads will see a slowdown during peak time.

At launch time there will likely be a few different options with different levels of QoS rather than different levels of fair usage.

Whether this package will be more suitable than Premier would depend on what you use the Internet for. If mainly web browsing, email, chat, text newsgroups, small downloads, anything where the traffic is bursty or where constant bug downloads are required then I would say it would fit the bill.
Ianwild
Grafter

Broadband Plus

To add to this, I posted the following in other forums this morning:

Broadband Plus will be delivered with no fair usage levels, and will cost less than Premier. This product will fill the remaining gap that the Pipex products here, along with the likes of AOL, are now looking to capitalise on. We should have lots more details in the next week or two, but I am confident in saying that PlusNet really will have a range of products that suits just about every requirement, and we will do so at a lower cost than any of our competitors.

These things do take time and as you may have noticed (With the Wifi Trials to be announced later today), there really is an awful lot happening at PlusNet right now. Broadband Plus won't be the end of it either, with even more to come from us in the next month or two that is going to result in direct savings for consumers all round.

Broadband Plus will be sold on the basis of speed (With an entry level 512K price that knocks socks of the 256K Pipex offer), the nature of this product is that it will more closely reflect the advertised contention, implemented through Qos rather than fair usage. As I say, this is the same approach as is being taken by ISPs like Pipex now.

I can give you technical details of how the QoS will be implemented, but not quite yet. The short answer to this is that the equipment we are currently trialling is capable of ensuring everyone sees great performance, but at the same time ensures that overall levels of high volume traffic types can be managed (Where a traffic type isn't neccessarily defined by the port on which it operates). Until the testing is complete, I wouldn't want to preclude events by saying anything further.

Hope those two answers give you the info you need - Apologies if they are a little out of context.

Regards,

Ian
itchyfeet
Grafter

Broadband Plus

Don't these statements contradict each other?

Broadband Plus will be sold on the basis of speed (With an entry level 512K price that knocks socks of the 256K Pipex offer)

Broadband Plus will first be based on MaxDSL so you will be able to get the fastest speed that your line can support.

So will we get the fastest speed our line will support, but have to pay more if our line supports a faster speed?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Plus

Hi,

Sorry for confusion, under Broadband Plus your line will be provisioned on MaxDSL, but the speed you connect at will be determined by which package you subscribe to and managed by us.

This means that for example you could initially subscribe to a 1Mbps Broadband Plus account and then upgrade to 2Mbps without the need for a BT regrade.
the_norris
Grafter

Broadband Plus

So with this - where will not be a regrade fee? As this can be automted via a option on the customers portal - Eg Upgrade to speee.... etc.

Phil
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus

We will most likely have to wait for the formal announcement before this is made clear. I would not be surprised if downgrades attract a fee of some sort just like the current products.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Plus

Yep, a downgrade within the Broadband Plus product set would incur a fee, but upgrade won't, plus it would be able to be done within a few minutes rather than a week as speed increases are done today.
N/A

Broadband Plus

I posted this in another thread

If mainly web browsing, email, chat, text newsgroups, small downloads, anything where the traffic is bursty or where constant bug downloads are required then I would say it would fit the bill.

I take it that you're taking about MS Updates there :twisted: