cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus

N/A

Broadband Plus

That would be fair enough, looking at my line noise of attenuation upstream: 31.5 db and attenuation downstream: 55.5 db I very much my doubt if I could run faster than 1Mb anyway. I made a decision a few months ago to stop using P2P and did not want to move onto a 1Gb restricted account as I thought it would be too restrictive to my surfing habits as I do enjoy downloading the odd Linux DVD, drivers etc...
So what if I don't have a static IP address, there's no big deal there and if anyone has seen my website, I doubt whether it even is 5Mb let alone 100Mb Tongue
The most important thing to me is the unlimited email addresses as I use a different email address for every site I subscribe to.

Gav.
17 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband Plus

Hi has any more details been released about Broadband Plus. In particular,

1) How does one convert from the pay as you go scheme? Does it cost anything?

2) What specifically will be speed limited? Just P2P and usenet etc. or other stuff. How will this be calculated? What speed will tghis tuff be downgraded too?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Broadband Plus

Hi there,

To upgrade from the Pay As You Go ADSL product to BB + will be free assuming:-
1.\ You stay on the same speed, and
2.\ Your new package costs more than your old one. In this case there would be no fee if your subscription cost stayed the same either.

Broadband Plus operates using highly advanced deep-packet inspection equipment of which we are one of the first, if not the first ISP to implement in this country. It can be fed packet signatures from known traffic such as P2P, NNTP, HTTP etc. The equipment can learn any number of packet signitures and as such is capable of detecting sub-classes of traffic, eg. eDonkey and Gnutella, keeping P2P as an example, would both have different signitures.

We are not going to throttle the speed to any predefined amount. Imagine it as a big pipe. When this pipe becomes congested the system will attempt to 'squeeze' unwanted traffic down to make way for higher priority stuff. Lets assume 50% of the stuff is http and 50% is P2P or other low priority traffic. The pipe is getting full so the P2P stuff is squeezed down to 40%. This then allows 10% to be reassigned to the higher priority stuff. Slow downs would be seen with P2P but there would be no noticable difference with web browsing etc. Technially speaking it's not quite as simple as this but hopefully you get the picture.

Web browsing and email etc will take highest priority.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Broadband Plus

What about other stuff that comes with Lite and Premier?...
- email delivery by SMTP
- free domain hosting
- 250 MB of web space
- keep existing static IP
etc.
Will all that also be provided on BB+?

In other words, is it just the throttling and price that changes, or are there other differences?

Geoff
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 69

Broadband Plus

Taken directly from the blurb:-

Broadband Plus also offers customers unlimited email addresses, Webmail, on-line entertainment, 100MB Web space, spam filtering, email virus protection, dedicated games servers and local rate 24/7 technical support.

Basically your webspace is reduced to 100MB. SMTP delivery may be possible. I would have to get that confirmed. You can only host one domain name and I think you still have the £/mnth option. The IP address will be marketed as dynamic. My understanding is that it will be static until we have finalised the system we will use to allocate dynamic IPs. If you need a static IP, do not sign up for BB+

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Broadband Plus

I see this product is available to select now, but I still have a question about what will be limited at busy times, after reading this on the "Data Transfer" tab for the product:

With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Now file sharing, that's clear enough. BitTorrent, eMule, Kazaa (Lite), etc... I had been expecting those to be limited.

But what about this "downloading" bit? Let's take a specific example. Let's say I wanted to download this 107 Mb Quicktime trailer for Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, from Rockstar Games website, via HTTP.

I am guessing the speed of this would not be limited, since it is HTTP traffic. Is this correct, or is the traffic shaping system able to go beyond seeing that this is HTTP traffic, and actually identify it as a large download? Also, regardless of if that would be limited or not, what if it was FTP instead of HTTP?

Finally, a specific question relating to speed limiting of online games. I intend to be playing Guild Wars once it comes out in late April. Generally this will be fairly low traffic, supposedly playable over 56k (though I'd hate to try that). It does have occasional large downloads as part of the game though; 30 or 50 Mb here or there, when entering a new area that needs new graphical data. Are there any plans to limit transfer related to online games?

That's all for now, thanks for any assistance Cool
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Broadband Plus

To be able to say at this stage exactly what would be affected by the shaping is difficult, and I mean that as a specific rather than a generalisation.

By default P2P and binary news are deprioritised and web traffic and email get prioritised. Everything else sits in the middle.

However, one of the things with the product is that we are reserving the right to manage the traffic as needed. So it might become more "intelligent" in shaping traffic.

Essentially if you want to do lots of large downloads then Broadband Plus isn't the right product, now and again shouldn't really be a problem, although you may not see the downloads at full speed.

Gaming fits in the middle of the shape, so gaming traffic will take priority over P2P and so should give good performance.
N/A

Broadband Plus

OK, that answers my questions well enough Dave, thanks a lot Smiley

Broadband Plus (from Broadband Lite) here I come!
N/A

Broadband Plus

In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

I was wondering if this means that the traffic shaping will only be applied during "peak" periods (using the definition from the FUP for BB Premier) or that it would be applied at any time of day when the service becomes congested.

I like the idea of games and web browsing having priority over P2P etc, and if the traffic shaping was only during peak hours, maybe people could leave their downloads to be done during the night....?

If it's just a case of shaping being applied to the service any time it's busy... maybe that's less of a good idea. Even less so if it's applied on a user-by-user basis regardless of the overall load on the network.

Anyone got any idea on exactly how this will be implemented, or is it still under discussion?

Cheers

Simon
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Plus

Hi Simon,

If traffic levels are similar on Broadband Plus to that on Premier then you would be seeing faster speeds overnight on P2P than during the day. However I should say that if you want to do a lot of downloading, even in the quieter periods then Broadband Plus probably isn't the right account.

The amount of shaping and the amount that speed will reduce will depend on the overall volume of traffic. When it's quiet, as we currently see overnight, then speeds on P2P will be faster than during the busy times. How fast and how slow they get will depend on the overall level rather than applied on at an individual user level.
N/A

Broadband Plus

...SMTP delivery may be possible. I would have to get that confirmed. You can only host one domain name...
...If you need a static IP, do not sign up for BB+
Well, I gave up with BB+ and went for PAYG Sad
I can't see why it is necessary for PN to insist (eventually) on dynamic IPs for the BB+ product.

Geoff
N/A

Broadband Plus

I presume they are not changing to dynamic for any technical reason but to sort out the power users from the rest.

But I must say, it is one of things that is making me thing that BB+ is not the way to go.

Basically I think it is unreasonable to assume that just because I use it as a server that it is an unsuitable package, especially when it would just be the occassional SSH in fro work.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Plus

If you are just using the static IP for the odd SSH or RDP into your home connection then you can always use a service like dyndns.org.
N/A

Domains

hey guys

I sometimes host a counter strike listen server in the evening so me and my friends can all play together (normally it supports about 8 people, i'm on 512), i just moved from lite to plus keeping my 512 speed. I use the static IP so that my friends can add it in their favorites in steam and join quickly that way. Having to give a different IP out to all of them each time we wanted to play would be a pain in the backside. Wouldn't you agree that maybe giving the option of having a static IP for a certain amount per month be a better option?

Also if you need a domain name just type in www.yourdesireddomainnamehere.net.tc and register one for free Smiley
(http://www.smartdots.com/ is the free domain supplier)

Thanks plus.net, your services still amaze me Cool

Ant
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Broadband Plus

Unfortunately a static IP address isn't available on BB+, however as Dave said a service such as dyndns.org should make hosting services easier.