cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus or Pay as You go

N/A

I am currently on Pay As You Go with 2GB paid for each month although I might need 3 GB. I have just noticed the Broadband plus which gives you unlimited data transfer for less money. Is there a catch? I do not do large downloads very often, but I am on line most of the day. The only worse thing with the Plus that I noticed was the contention ratio of 50 : 1 rather than 30 : 1 with Pay As You Go. Is this likely to be significant?
At the moment there is only 1 PC connected, my wife would like her laptop to be able to go on line ( very light usage) would Broadband plus support this
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I am in the same position.
I suggest you hang fire until we get an official response/clarification to my question about FTP downloads on BB+ with the new system.
It looks as if it is being lumped in with P2P and Usenet and hence all downloads from ftp sites will be crippled. This will include all your security updates and any games patches.
Note that at present P2P on BB+ is being quoted as speeds of less than 10kb/s at most times.
kitz
Rising Star

The catch is that p2p and usenet peak speeds arent too brilliant, - in the past they have been appauling during peak, but how they will perform yet under the new vision 2006 announcement today I cant say.

PAYG gets no shaping.

Some of the other differences between the 2 products are pointed out in the table on this page here

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/plusnetfees.htm

>>> I noticed was the contention ratio of 50 : 1 rather than 30 : 1 with Pay As You Go. Is this likely to be significant?

If all you do is mostly mail, surfing and gaming then no.

>> At the moment there is only 1 PC connected, my wife would like her laptop to be able to go on line ( very light usage) would Broadband plus support this

Yes Smiley
Highlighted
N/A

I don’t do gaming
I don’t do p2p, any downloads would be from a web site of a say a manual or program
My online time is typically connected to a few web sites, which continually update
They call it streaming data
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Yes but often manuals or programs are from ftp sites. Check over the discussion on the new vision.
lmhudson
Grafter

David, BB+ is ok if you browse & do E-mail / DL via HTTP. As mentioned above in this thread you may have some issues if your dling from a web site via FTP (You can do it but it will be slow during peak times)

Most web page downloads are HTTP but I would suggest you have a look at the stuff you typicaly download.

If it is FTP all is not lost as BB+ users will see a speed increase off peak 0000 - 0800 (Ish)
Laser
Grafter

davidkelly,

As a BB+ customer I can confirm that web browsing and email work full pelt without issue. Streaming stuff off websites seems ok, Microsoft updates, virus killer updates, internet radio, and so forth have always worked well. People have generally not reported issues with casual use for online gaming either.

There is this issue of whether FTP transfer is going to suffer at peak times under the "new vision". Only you can judge how much FTP you do and how fast you need it to be. It does work, it's just slow.

On the down-side, the general consensus (not tried it myself) is that P2P and binary newsgroups suck big time on BB+.
bj
Grafter

I'm on BB+ and have a monthly usage between 1 and 2.5 GB. Some of my downloads are done via FTP and I need to do them during peak times. Throttling FTP is a deal breaker for me.

PlusNet. More clarification please. And what's this about greater speeds for lighter ueers of BB+?
dannykos
Grafter

go PAYG for the extra £1 month for 2gig you get totally unthrottled Cheesy
N/A

How would I know if a download was FTP or not
N/A

How would I know if a download was FTP or not

if you hover over the file to be downloaded and it says something like "ftp://...." then you are using ftp. Websites being with 'http' or 'https' but ftp sites begin with 'ftp'. All web clients (firefox, IE, etc) can handle ftp downloads in a similar way to http downloads so it can lead to confusion.

Mark