cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus - is it suitable... ?

N/A

I'm thinking of recommending BB Plus to my girlfriend as she is looking for a new internet supplier. I really wanted to get other users oppinions on the trafic shaping used on BB Plus?

My girlfriend does not use bit torrent, she does not download movies, etc etc. She mostly just surfs the web and emails, but very occaisionally does download MP3's over P2P.

It is not very often that she downloads music at all, but with BB Plus is the traffic shaped to such an extent that even very small amounts of P2P will download at snails pace, or does it only really affect heavy P2P users like bit-torrents?

Thanks for your help. Smiley

Aaron
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sign up for PAYG, now has 2GB of allowance as standard and there is minimal traffic shaping. 2GB sounds plenty for that type of usage.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

And if she can schedule the downloads overnight (midnight to 8.00am) then it shouldn't count towards the usage.
N/A

And if she can schedule the downloads overnight (midnight to 8.00am) then it shouldn't count towards the usage.

Dependant on how VMBU treats her, as the off-peak times cannot be guaranteed day by day.
Community Veteran

Agreed - that's why I said "should" however if I understand the second post by Ian Wild in this thread correctly it should be fixed very soon
N/A

I don't see any reference to VMBU and its associated issues (incorrectly reporting bandwith usage) in either post by Ian Wild on that link you provided.
Community Veteran

This is taken from Ian's initial announcement
Details of new projects added since the last update

There are a number of improvements planned to our billing systems over the next few weeks which will make this more robust and easier to understand for customers. We will provide more details when these changes are made.

The other major development work planned in the next few weeks is in resolving the numerous issues with the View My Broadband tool and the surrounding processes. This includes things like improving emails which are sent to customers, speeding up the time it takes for our system to update and resolving the remaining usage display issues that some customers have experienced.
My question (2nd post)
The one part which does encourage me is that you are looking at the View My Usage tool - I do hope this will address the time lag in switching from paid to free for PAYG customers at midnight.

Ian's response (3rd post)
Yes - Mark Wilson will hopefully update the other thread on the time change thing, but this is being worked on with a view to completed development by the end of next week - There seems to be a straightforward solution.

Does this clarify it.
Alecto
Grafter

Re: Broadband Plus - is it suitable... ?

I'm thinking of recommending BB Plus to my girlfriend

Sounds like a good way of making her an Ex-girlfriend !! :lol:

I wouldn't recommend BB+ to anybody for anything. It's bottom of the pile when it comes to shaping.
If she uses a lot, get Premier, if not, get PAYG.
N/A

This is taken from Ian's initial announcement
Details of new projects added since the last update

There are a number of improvements planned to our billing systems over the next few weeks which will make this more robust and easier to understand for customers. We will provide more details when these changes are made.

The other major development work planned in the next few weeks is in resolving the numerous issues with the View My Broadband tool and the surrounding processes. This includes things like improving emails which are sent to customers, speeding up the time it takes for our system to update and resolving the remaining usage display issues that some customers have experienced.

The above quote isn't in Ians announcement on that link, it's contained in a different page which is linked to at the top of that announcement, which contains an announcement by Alistair Wyse. Hence the confusement!
N/A

I wouldn't recommend BB+ to anybody for anything. It's bottom of the pile when it comes to shaping.

Or something else like Nildram or Zen.
Community Veteran

@fairdinkum
Quite right I went to the link from Ian's post without looking at who actually issued it
Shockedops:
N/A

Sounds like a good way of making her an Ex-girlfriend !! :lol:

LOL... OK maybe PAYG is the way forward. Thanks.

Did look at Nildram as the've got a very similar PAYG deal, but her familiy lives in France so Plusnets international calls package just clinches it... i think.
N/A

Calling France = 0.5p/minute on a BT line using 18185
aeroalfie
Grafter

PAYG all the way Cheesy
N/A

AOL 1MB unlimited for 14.99 might be a better bet. If she does decided to download a few albums or watch streaming video, you might find that she has been limited to 128 K. Atleast with AOL this doesnt happen, she might not get 8MB , but will get a consistant 1 MB and a free wireless router