cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus VPN issues

N/A

Hello,

Since last weeks announcement of issues on the Broadband Plus platform I have been unable to connect to my work VPN via Broadband. Has anyone else experienced any issues here?

According to my help desk at work it only requires 1 packet to be dropped for the VPN to cut off. So could this be the cause of the issues?

Cheers,
14 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi,

Have you tried changing the firewall setting to low, via the connection settings area of the portal?
N/A

Hi James,

The short answer is no - I'll pop over there now and have a look - is there a reason why this would have changed recently?

Cheers
James
Grafter

Yes.

The Broadband Firewall was recently added, defaulting to "high" to all BB+ customers. You should have received an email about it?
N/A

Well that looks like it could be the cause of the problem as it was set to High and it quite clearly states the Low is the only VPN friendly setting.

Have I missed an announcement somewhere? Shockedops:

I've set it to low and will check it again when I get home tonight. Thanks for your help James.
N/A

Dear James and all,

I've just been though exactly the same loop - no announcement email, VPN packed up, eventually (5 days later) discovered the need for "LOW" firewall setting (after rebuilding the router, spending an hour on the phone to our corporate IT support people :roll: )

I suggest Plusnet resends this phantom email!

Nick
sam
Grafter

Its not possible for us to send the mail again to the 1000s of Plus customers but I will email this to you if you wish.

Alternatively you can look at this email ( SN38659086) in the my questions area of the help and support section.

Let me know if you want me to email a copy of your email to you.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In addition to the email, a service status announcement was made stating that the firewall would be on for all BB+ users.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

I assume a firewall = off setting is VPN friendly too
N/A

Indeed, off is compatible with all traffic :shock:
N/A

surely the ellacoyas could have generated a list of users using VPNs - and then that list of users been sent an email saying "your firewall has not been activated, etc."

or are they not that intelligent?
jdharris

I didn't receive the email either. Not been able to connect to VPN since last Thursday (when I first noticed it). Saying that it an announcement was put up is pretty useless to those who don't come to the plusnet site regularly (most people I'm guessing).

Luckily, as a last resort I did a quick search of these forums before calling Tech Support. As it is, I've had quite a bit of disruption because of this and my work has been disrupted. Not impressed.
Community Veteran

surely the ellacoyas could have generated a list of users using VPNs <snipped>

or are they not that intelligent?

This is hellacoya we're talking about here, the unintelligible *intelligent* traffic shaping system :lol:
Community Veteran

If you are relying on VPN for work, then BB+ is not really a suitably account.

Chilly
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Correction:

If you are relying on VPN for work, then BB+ is definitely not a suitable account.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)