cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus - Slow FTP speeds

Wheel_nut
Grafter

In response to a ticket I raised a couple of days ago, I have had a response stating that:

"The slow ftp speeds, should have been resolved as of yesterday, can you confirm that the problem still exists?"

Can anybody shed any light on what has been done to fix this issue?

I am currently downloading the 15.7 MB file at 21.8kB/ sec predicting completion in 9 mins. Is this as good as it is going to get?
39 REPLIES
Community Veteran

With the recent ellocoya profile changes and the prep for the 'vision 2006' changes, the FTP protocol was sometimes mistakenly included with the P2P and usenet restrictions for some account types and some users. The work that was carried out yesterday was to stop this situation occuring and thus give you back the FTP speeds you had previously.

As for your speeds, what account type are you on? BB+ does I believe still have some speed restrictions for FTP during the busy periods.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Peter - read the title.
To answer the question. On BB+ you will see very poor download speeds on FTP at the moment. However according to this post by Jon Whiting it should improve soon.
However, as far as FTP goes on the Plus account, this is something that we're looking at and will have something in place to improve this over the next few days.
rammie1976
Grafter

I'm getting increasingly fed up with +net not telling the customer what's happening until after its happened.

Yesterday everyone was saying BB+/ftp gonna be rubbish at peak times - so I did some late night d/ling still at rubbish speeds.... Evil

....now you say I needn't have bothered and if I'd waited I could be ftping today at much better speeds (which I am as well, but if I'd known this yesterday I wouldn't have wasted time messing about, I'd have waited until today).

So what else is gonna happen to BB+ that you're not gonna tell us about until we've wasted time trying to fix something you broke??

I don't expect an answer, obviously!!

I will never recommend +net to anyone without extreme warnings as to their shocking disregard for the customer.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Peter - read the title.
To answer the question. On BB+ you will see very poor download speeds on FTP at the moment. However according to this post by Jon Whiting it should improve soon.
However, as far as FTP goes on the Plus account, this is something that we're looking at and will have something in place to improve this over the next few days.

I think the changes that Jon Whiting alluded to happened last night and the pathetic 25Kbps speeds I am seeing today are by design.

If there are any REAL PlusNet reps reading this, you really need to give us a CLEAN allowance on all protocols and declare what that allowance is. Also declare the extent to which you will throttle each protocol if the allowance is exceeded. I need to know what I am paying for. It is ridiculously unfair for you to change the profile at your will.... even if your T's&C's allow you to do what you like to protect your network.

..... a bewildered and now irritated PlusNet customer! :x Evil Evil
JonathanW
Grafter

These are further changes that are being looked at today, and should be implemented over the next couple of days.
rammie1976
Grafter

My speeds have changed once it would seem. So what new changes - roughly - less speed, more speed, no speed?

I've had a couple of disconnections today again - would that be down to +net's messing? Evil
JonathanW
Grafter

It'll be to improve things for people on the Plus package.

As for disconnections, that should be anything to do with changes being made on our side. As anything of that nature that could cause disconnections would be announced via service status.
rammie1976
Grafter

pardon me if I don't belive you, although I'm not suggesting you're intentionally lieing - but how long did it take for +net to admit to being at fault for the last lot of disconnections?
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Jon, Have a read of your last two posts and then tell us in plain english what you are trying to say.

You persist in posting strings of words that tell us nothing. Do you know WHAT the changes are or what they will achieve if they are successfully implemented?

We are your customers who have paid in advance for this service. Stop treating us like mushrooms. That is most insulting.

If you want to continue this privately, please e-mail me. Stewart and Neil know who I am and my username will allow you to contact me. I hereby give you the permission you need to contact me.

R
dannykos
Grafter

so - having switched from BB+ to PAYG last week because of the apparent ftp implementations of the vision for 2006 - now - apparently - it was all a big mistakeHuh?? why did nobody from +net come on and say - sorry chaps, bear with us and it'll all get sortedHuh? there were at least 4 threads going on about poor BB+ ftp speeds, and at no time was it made clear that this was anything other than a policy decision. Evil

so should i change back to BB+?
kitz
Rising Star

Basically the ftp problem with the BB+ accounts was first raised via PUG late last week.
By pointing out a few valid cases, whereby certain users have had difficulty using genuine ftp downloads Im hoping that this has strengthened what we are saying.

Neil has today told us that hopefully some fixes will be put in place soon
We dont know what the "fixes" are.. and in all probability I wouldnt be surprised if jon doesnt know yet either.

I really can understand you BB+ers being annoyed about this.. I would be.

However can I ask you BB+ers to work with us on this one... if you are having a problem with ftp.. can you post the speed you are getting... what you are trying to download and from where.

A good example would be dsouza's case whereby he was trying to download his printer divers from HP

Printer Driver (15MB) from the HP Support site http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en〈=en&cc=us&os=181&product=60098&dlc=en... and it is going to take me 4hrs 36 mins to download the Driver!

Dunno if it will do any good but at least it helps identify that there is a problem.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

I have just downloade my Benchmark FTP file (15.7MB) in 1 min 11 secs at 237KB/ sec.

Perhaps PlusNet have backed out the disasterous change until an alternative solution is Specified, and Tested before applying it to the Production Environment. ........ OR, could it be that the coders are working live on the Production Environment and this is a blip while they are making the new changes ........ OR what do I knowHuhHuh Im a fee paying mushroom!
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi Kittz and thank you for your informative post on what is going on behind the scenes to bring BB+ to an acceptable level of service.

Thank you also for your appreciation of my (our) frustration with the degradation of service and the lack of information on its restoration. You will see that a user has already jumped ship on the basis of the belief that this was to be the new level of BB+ service.

I am still concerned at the apparent lack of change control processes which should have caught this in test. Our ADSL service is not just a nice-to-have toy but a communication service upon which my family and I have grown dependent. It needs to be reliable, resilient and above all else, predictable in its availability. That said, I will leave this in your capable hands while I hibernate for a couple of days.

R
kitz
Rising Star

>> I am still concerned at the apparent lack of change control processes which should have caught this in test. Our ADSL service is not just a nice-to-have toy but a communication service upon which my family and I have grown dependent. It needs to be reliable, resilient </snip>

I totally agree with you

Peter has since posted a bit more info in another thread thats also very relevant in case anyone else is following this.

>> I will hibernate for a couple of days

No dont do that.. continuation of posts from users like yourself is vital to be able to give constructive feedback to Plusnet on how the platform is performing.