cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus P2P Faster Speeds

N/A

Hello,
Would it be possible for PlusNet to make our torrents run at 100kb/s during off peak time such as 01:00am to 06:00am.
Please tell me this isn't too much to ask forSad
I am only getting 4kb/s during off peak.
Surely they could spare us a little more Smiley
Thanks
Stephen
18 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Broadband + isnt designed for downloading. It is designed for the conventional user wishing to browse the net and read/send emails.

This is displayed on the product comparison table upon signing up for a particular product

If your looking at downloading then you should really be looking at the PAYG or even premier packages as these two are more designed for the downloader.

Regards,
N/A

As you can see it says I'm frewuently downloading and gaming.
I am not but maybe I download once a month from torrentspy.
I should be able to get a decent P2P speeds.
Maybe BB+ should be limited more maybe 5GB a month.
If you go over this they should either bad P2P or make you go to Premier!
Would PlusNet take this up?
Could a moderator have a look at this suggestion please Smiley

Best Wishes
Stephen
N/A

I see where you are coming from.
Although not a frequent downloader you still wish the speed to be there when needed. This is only something PN can answer but I would have thought that you are given an allowance (which should be faster than your stated 4k) and thats about it.
Have you tried altering the settings a little to see if this makes any difference to enable a faster transfer speed?
Community Veteran

In order to keep the cost of the BB+ product down, there has to be compromises in either speed of features. PlusNet have decided to limit the speeds on P2P/binary usenet to do this so it is highly unlikely this will be changed.

If you really want faster P2P then you need to move to a product that allows this - either PAYG or premier.
N/A

Can you please give me the excact speeds you should receive from a decent torrent download please!
Thanks
Stephen
p.s. Do torrent downloads speed up during off peak hours?
Community Veteran

Not possible because it depends on how busy other BB+ users are and how many others are trying to download P2P/usenet. Figures of between 2Kbs and 10Kbs have been posted by BB+ users in the past.

It is traffic shaped to be a best attempt, meaning all other traffic will get priority and if any bandwidth is left, it goes towards ALL P2P/usenet downloads. When things are very busy, there is very little bandwidth left hence very slow P2P traffic.

The peak period appears to be all the time now on BB+ as the speeds don't change much.
N/A

Can you please make it clear when answering the BB+ queries that the same limitations are applied to the premier account instead of misleading them into wasting there money to upgrade to what you imply is the pn "download" package.
N/A

yeah seriously, "premier" accounts, such as mine offer no improvement for p2p downloads, they are just as rubbish on and off peak.

in fact so much so, it's unusable.
N/A

Yes we should,When i get files its at stupid times like 3am, which is way off peak, and i still get no higher than 6kbs.
Alecto
Grafter

@defunct/misterjesus
That is simply not the case.
There do seem to be some premier customers with P2P problems, but many, myself included, reach acceptable speeds on BB Premier, certainly before 4pm.

Why exactly I can reach 200kB and more when they can't I've no idea, but don't see why Pn should be throttling their accounts and not mine. I'd suspect the BT network and/or their settings/seeds etc.
N/A

@gpattison/

never happend with my old ISP.

used to get craking speeds when I was with Eclipse.
Alecto
Grafter

@misterjesus
But that was before everybody and his dog got 2Mb.
Yes Pn are doing some throttling, but the BT network simply can't cope with the quadrupled volume that they've unleashed on the system by upgrading everybody to 2Mb without thinking about it.

I wonder what you'd get on eclipse now.
N/A

well it was last month. admittedly.

/ I dunno give everybody the Internet and it will only mean tears before bedtime really.

having said that I've had home DSL in one form or another since 2000, and this is probably the slowest it's ever felt to use.
Alecto
Grafter

give everybody the Internet and it will only mean tears before bedtime.

True.