cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus Members

N/A

Broadband Plus Members

Anyone else here start their Broadband Plus Account around October 2005?

I was looking for a broadband service provider in 2005 and came across Plusnet advertising a £14.99 2mb Broadband Plus with Unlimited Downloads.

I thought that was the best offer Id ever seen so I went for it.

A little while later I learnt about the "Sustainable Usage Policy" which basically meant that my "Unlimited Downloads" account was being very much limited to about 5-7GB per month according to guidlines.

Now all that stuff has dissappeared, the advertising and policy which I was getting used to are gone and Ive been asking Plusnet about it because things have just gotten worse and they say.

"
Dear Mr Donaldson,
The Broadband Plus account was never advertised as unlimited. In fact, it was introduced as an "entry - level" product, specifically for people who would have low usage and has always had limits.
The current usage limit before incurring account specific restrictions is 4GB per month at peak times.

Regards,
link:CUAremoved
"

So I cant prove what I paid for and wanted from Plusnet but admitting their faults and apologising for their actions would be the least they could do.

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Removed the CSA's name as per link:rules .]
19 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband Plus Members

Sorry I didnt see anything about having moderators names in a quote but I will remember that for the future.
N/A

Broadband Plus Members

I signed up for Plusnet BB+ in May 2005, I cannot remember it being advertised as unlimited, I can recall thinking that I would try Plus and if my usage went over 10Gb a month I would have to upgrade to Premier.

What would have been the point in having Broadband Premier if everyone could download unlimited on Plus?
MrToast
Grafter

Re: Broadband Plus Members

Now all that stuff has dissappeared,

You could always try www.archive.org and see if its there.
Community Veteran

Broadband Plus Members

No PN product has been described as 'unlimited' since late 2004 for the very reason it never has been. You may have got your wires crossed with the unlimited emails that are offered.

BB+ has always been a traffic shaped product right from its introduction.
N/A

Broadband Plus Members

No, it wasn't advertised as unlimited.....but they did splash very misleading statements around such as "no need to worry about how much you download"...and PN staff on these forums said "We are happy for you to download up to 50 GB off peak".

Just consider it a lesson learned.....ill never fall for the misleading advertising again.
shellsong
Grafter

Re: Broadband Plus Members

Now all that stuff has dissappeared,

You could always try www.archive.org and see if its there.

Last time I tried looking there most of the useful stuff had disappeared-- I believe site owners can ask for pages to be removed and I wondered whether PlusNet had done just that!
N/A

Broadband Plus Members

it used to be unlimited, and now they are saying it never was?

ah well, who knows with these things any more
suec45
Grafter

Broadband Plus Members

They DID advetise BB+ as unlimited becasue they said traffic management will stop you downloading too much.

I really worry about people on BB+ nowadays because Premier has become the new BB+, how bad can BB+ be now? I hate to think.
N/A

Broadband Plus Members

It had been advisted has unlimted, I got caught out to by it.
Liam
Grafter

Broadband Plus Members

No PlusNet broadband product has been advertised as Unlimited since before we even launched Broadband Plus.

We've always tried to make it clear that Plus is for lighter usage and we will manage it accordingly.
N/A

Im not alone then

Ok so Im not alone then.

Plusnet definitely did say something about unlimited downloads because I remember that as being why I chose Plusnet in the first place but I think they had some clause on it I didnt see until later when I was already with them like..."sustainable usage policy applies".

Also I found this article on ZDnet http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communications/0,1000000085,39282114,00.htm
heres a quote from it if you dont want to go read it:
"
A senior PlusNet executive has hit out at those in the broadband industry who advertise free or unlimited connectivity, including partner Tiscali.

Marketing director Marco Potesta told ZDNet UK on Thursday that the industry was "mis-selling on free" and wrong to advertise services as "unlimited".

"There's no such thing as free and no such thing as unlimited," Potesta told ZDNet UK on Thursday. "By definition, network is finite, the resources in the network that can be applied to customers is finite. We came clean real quick on that one, but I don't see Tiscali coming clean on that, I don't see other people coming clean."

"

So if Plusnet has come clean then why dont us as plusnet customers who were fooled by this "unlimited" myth know anything about it?

All we see is new policy and new advertising, I dont see anyone apologising publicly or coming clean and admitting what they have done to the customers?

Also Plusnet are still putting the Unlimited downloads advertising out there look its still online...
https://portal.plus.net/switch/compare_us.shtml
N/A

Broadband Plus Members

We've always tried to make it clear that Plus is for lighter usage and we will manage it accordingly.

What product would you recommend for heavier use then? I'm using around 12GB per month, 1GB of it at peak times, mainly FTP and email. Premier 1 clearly isn't designed for this kind of useage because FTP is slow as a snail after lunchtimes.
Liam
Grafter

Re: Im not alone then

Also Plusnet are still putting the Unlimited downloads advertising out there look its still online...
https://portal.plus.net/switch/compare_us.shtml

Ummm... I can't find the "Unlimited" reference on there. I do see "No Fixed Download Limits" with a link to our Sustainable Usage Policy, however.
N/A

Broadband Plus Members

Hmm, seems the link to the SUP is broken though.

https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/sustainable_usage_guide.shtml

Takes you to the help and support section rather than the SUP. The 7th link down is labelled for the SUP, but that does nothing...

Have the content teams dropped the ball when they refreshed some of the pages Liam?