cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus HTTP speeds slashed to 30 KBytes/sec

N/A

I have tried several HTTP downloads across the web, including the Plusnet speed checker. My HTTP speeds are down from 230 KBytes/sec to 30 KBytes/sec.

Plusnet, as you have a policy of not telling us when you cripple our connections, I can only assume this is what you have done.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Just so I can get in first - try the BT speed test Cheesy
N/A

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user ************* and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1942 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 217.47.200.61, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.
bj
Grafter

My BB+ connection is running OK (235KB/s AG speed test).
N/A

lamden, are you on a static IP?
LiamM
Grafter

No problems here on Broadband Plus. Just done a new install and downloaded updates, drivers and software at 230-240k/s
N/A

Liam, are you on a static IP?
N/A

Liam,

Oliver I would imagine and I hope I imagine correctly, has been placed on a static IP on BB+ and is being monitored and heavily profiled.
Just out of interest Oliver, what were you usages in november and october etc if you dont mind me asking.

Regards,
N/A

Tom, I have not exceeded any published limits. It's ridiculous people have to keep asking each other "what is your usage" in order to find out what the hell Plusnet are playing at.
N/A

Oliver,

I am not here to pass judgement. I am only asking to see if there is a similar sort of patern emerging somewhere.
It is afterall your right to not disclose your usage and I am not going to think any different for you not doing so, but it would help us better understand.

Regards,
N/A

I am only asking to see if there is a similar sort of patern emerging somewhere.

That's my point. Plusnet shouldn't keep us guessing like this.
bj
Grafter

lamden, are you on a static IP?

Oliver,

No. Its definitely dynamic. My usage is 1-2GB/m.
LiamM
Grafter

I was using a dynamic IP.... not static.

There are no published limits because it depends on the usage of everyone on the platform.

My theory is that there will be a percentage of the heaviest users that use the service in an unsustainable manner. And this will be the cut-off point.

e.g. if the top, say, 2% of users use the same amount of network bandwidth as the remaining 98% then it's these people that are using the service in an unsustainable manner. As such it's no set limit or cap, it just depends on the behaviour of other users on the platform on the whole. You have to take in the wider picture and not just single users.

That is only an example, I hope you understand what i'm getting at, it may not have been very well explained.

Plenty of other ISPs do the same thing, Tiscali, Virgin, Wanadoo etc... all their "unlimited" services come with an acceptable / fair usage policy that states they will profile or monitor connections that impact on the service for everyone else. They don't state any limits because they do not really know them. It depends on the performance of the platform, and the heaviest users can be identified when looked at alongside the majority.
N/A

They've given me no warning that my connection would be slowed down for all traffic by 87% if I hit 5 GB. Now presumably I'm stuck at this speed until my next billing date.
mike001
Grafter

if I hit 5 GB. Now presumably I'm stuck at this speed until my next billing date.

Your traffic profile is reset at the beginning of each calendar month, please see the following link for details:

https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36802

Coppyed from my own ticket :-(

Peak-time usage so far this month: 202.74MB

Peak-time usage Nov-Dec 9.91GB

I am on Broadband Premier ....or should that be Broadband Pathetic

usenet speeds are form 0 upto 23Kbps
speed test shows 1925.1