cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband PAYG suggestion

Community Veteran

I've had a look through the last few months' worth of topics in the Ideas forum and didn't see this, so thought I'd just put forward the following:

Would it be possible for those on Broadband PAYG to, say, pay an optional couple of quid extra a month to have unlimited downloads during off-peak hours? Or even if not unlimited, just, something that's better value than the £1/GB we pay at the moment. Obviously I don't know what the economics of PlusNet are like to much great detail, but the way I see it is this: most PAYG users will be too nervous to do any heavy downloading because of the relatively high cost per GB of doing so. At the same time, PN are always saying they have spare capacity during off-peak hours. Thus, my suggestion would be a win-win: PAYG users can do more downloading (provided they don't mind scheduling it for during the night), and PlusNet get to make a bit more money from the spare capacity they have off-peak.

Thomas
3 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

I've sort of suggested something like this before but maybe I could expand on it here.

1) Have a basic connection fee-- say £12-14 per month that pays the BT connection costs plus admin/ PN basics

2) Give the customer a "purse" that they can add money to

3) Price bandwidth according to, say, three different time bands. For example:
i) Off Peak midnight to 8 am -- £0.30
ii) Normal 8 am to 4 pm -- £0.60
iii) Peak 4 pm to midnight -- £1
(Adjust the times/rates to fit prevailing circumstances/ PN financial model)

4) Make it so that unspent "purse" contents get carried over to the next month

How's about that then guys and gals? Wink

Gerry
Community Veteran

Sounds like a good idea - maybe have it operate like a PAYG mobile phone, where you can top-up by as much money as you want to for the convenience? Although that could create issues with billing, as there's the £15 or so that'd still need to come out each month. Hmm...

Thomas
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Thomas,

One of the things we are looking into bringing later in the year is to not include overnight usage in PAYG customers totals. We'll post more details about this nearer the time.