cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Outage

N/A

Broadband Outage

Reference this mornings broadband outage following maintenance, is it not possible for you to post a message on a dedicated faults line. Putting info on a webpage is not much use if the connection is down. Having a faults line would save customers the hassle of trying to work out if the problem is with their own machine. Your general customer number 0845 1400250 was, needless to say, permanently engaged.
8 REPLIES
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Broadband Outage

Just to add a bit more to that idea.

Our electricty supplier has a very simple idea. When you phone the fault line if there is a known fault you receive a message about this before you are put through to the fault queue. You can then just hang up as you know they are already aware of the problem.

We had a similar idea in the insurance company I worked for. I programmed the voicemail system with a set of standard messages and all a helpdesk person had to do was type in a preset code to switch a message into the queue messaging system. This saved us being bothered with lots of callers just reporting the same problem and also allowed them to return to work knowing we were already working on the fault.

Just my 2p's worth.
N/A

Broadband Outage

Hi,

In the same spirit as the two previous people, I think this is an excellent and logical idea. I know from bitter experience that the one thing that systems administrators hate is being bombarded & overwhelmed by users all telling you something you already know i.e. the server or network is down or my username & password wont work,etc,etc. Anything that buys support staff & network engineers more time to resolve the problem without the users bombarding them has to be very welcome indeed.

**Like others have said a simple message that says YES! we know we have an outage and YES! we working to fix it as we speak would save alot of stress all round.

**How about a dedicated web page that is shown when the portal is down or is unavailable due to maintinence, or when there is a major network outage. so that instead of server not found errors. The user might be re-directed from the normal portal web site URL to the dedicated URL & message page? just another idea.

Ivan
N/A

Broadband Outage

Our electricty supplier has a very simple idea. When you phone the fault line if there is a known fault you receive a message about this before you are put through to the fault queue. You can then just hang up as you know they are already aware of the problem.

Good idea, but just to add that with electricity, you have to ring from a landline for area specific faults. If you use a mobile you get a load of gobbledygook and lots of keys to press to get the same information. Whether that would be the same with an ISP, I don't know.

Mark
Pendragon
Rising Star

Broadband Outage

Well we may not get a reply from F9 but I did notice this small paragraph in the
'Product Annoucement' threads.

As well as reviewing our network resiliency since the event, we are now also carrying out a review of our Service Status communication mechanisms, including the positioning of recordings on our phone system

So someone reads this thread Wink .

Regards, Colin.
N/A

Broadband Outage

Hi colin,

Excuse me if I'm NOT jumping up and down at your previous posting, frankly this kind of support idea is so basic I'm gobb smacked they havent had this in place years ago. Come on its NOT rocket science, if F9 really wants to be cutting edge then I think they're going to have too do better than this IMO? Its common sense stuff doesnt take much grey matter.

Ivan
astarsolutions
Grafter

Broadband Outage

I have 2 internet connections with F9 luckily only one went down so I could view the service status throughout the problems, the thing that annoyed me the most was the fact that they weren't kept updated.
At one point the comments said that they hoped to have a fix in about an hour and the post has been placed well over an hour ago; if they had been updating this every 15 - 30 minutes I wouldn't have had to open a ticket increasing the backlog for the support staff.

The same thing would apply to a phone announcement whats the point of one when it isn't updated often enough.
N/A

Broadband Outage

Hello Arthur

In reply to your post above, Yes! I agree with what your saying but having worked in IT myself as a systems administrator. Its the old catch 22 situation when systems go down or there are serious technical problems that affect hundreds of users at once. Its often all hands to the deck and pumps, time is of the essence i.e. the meter is ticking away & the costs are ratcheting up.

In these kinds of circumstances if my experience is anything to go bye? then staff tend to be more focused on solving the problem/s and less concerned about giving customer updates. No! I'm NOT excusing the lack of communications but I am less willing to dam staff out of hand for trying to resolve what can be extremely difficult problems even for experienced engineers.

**That said unfortunately, F9 do have a very poor track record in communicating with real customers and that's a criticism I still personally feel remains valid today. In fact its tended to become worse over the last few years since it was floated on the stock market. One of the common feelings I have about the lack of communications is that technology is all very well but I do get extremely exasperated when I feel its being used to hide behined and not face or talk to customers i.e. avoid talking to or answering customers concerns. Sadly, this is a game that increasingly large numbers of companys play, its NOT just F9 its endemic in our society IMO. What one can do about it is another problem though.

Ivan
Pendragon
Rising Star

Broadband Outage

cyteck posted this;

Come on its NOT rocket science, if F9 really wants to be cutting edge then I think they're going to have too do better than this IMO? Its common sense stuff doesnt take much grey matter.

Hi

I agree it’s not ‘rocket science’ but if the company I worked for is an example then it is often the ‘internal politics’ that slow the system down.

I administered a very large telephone system for a number of years and it was only after a major year 2000 upgrade that the system would even handle ‘messaging inserted into queue’ type messages. Before that each message was recorder on a RAN machine and played back at preset intervals, not at all user friendly.

The internal politics come into play when you have ‘customer facing’ messages. For internal messages any person will do to make the recording as only staff will hear it. For external messages most company’s require a ‘Voice of the Company’ ( this took quite some time to resolve in my company ). Preferably female, a female voice carries better due to their high frequency voice patterns and usually have a calming effect on irate callers.

The messages have to be ‘Company Approved’ so as not to convey even the remotest suggestion of problems within the company and to instil a feeling of ‘OK they are doing their best’ into the ‘customer experience’. In my company this involved the HR department, the IT and telephone departments and eventual sign off by a Director no less.

So although it is on the face of it a simple thing to do, depending on the infrastructure and politics of the company it can be fraught with problems. I wish F9 the best of luck because if they get it wrong then everyone will hear it.

With regard to your second post to 'Arthur', I agree with what you say having been at the sharp end like yourself. The only thing you concentrate on is 'The Now' sod the rest, that can wait.

And dosen't it always happen just when a Director gets up to make a company presentation Shockedops: .

Regards, Colin.