cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Guarantee

N/A

Broadband Guarantee

The broadband guarantee wherby you are able to try F9's service for 45 days and leave

With nothing to lose

We're sure that you'll be delighted with broadband from Force9. If you're not completely satisfied, we'll pay for you to leave.

Looks pretty good huh? A great incentive to encourage users to join F9 and slow the system down even more :?

Apparently there is a catch (isn't there always?). Reading the discussons on the +Net forum about people who have requested their MAC, I read about one customer who has been on the service for less than a week and wants to leave. Apparently, he still has to pay the £14.99 fee which was waived when he migrated in. F9 will only pay the £12.99 (which is less than the migration fee, if it isn't , why are F9 still charging £14.99?) cost of migrating if the new provider charges.

Buyer beware methinks!!!!

Mark
15 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

yep,

i read the migration offer a while for someone to move over and ended up telling if they did and didn't like then it would cost to move away again, even though it states its free and f9 will pay for you to move.

They can't actually charge you anything not even the £14.99 as they state its free, and if your not statisfied with a product by law, you are able to return that product without any loss to you the consumer.

if after 45 days you decide to move then yes f9 can charge for usage from the 45th day, but anything offered within the free period they can't charge you for. As with any contract you have a cooling off period (usually 14 days with no cost to the consumer) and f9 have set theirs to 45 days.

regards
mike
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Broadband Guarantee

Hi,

The offer of free migration is seperate to the PlusNet guarantee and has a seperate set of terms and conditions which would still apply.

The £14.99 charge represents the cost to us of the original migration in, whilst it is waived up front this is on the condition that you stay for 12 months. Cancellation for any reason within that 12 months means that the fee must be repaid.
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

but if a user decides the service is not suitable to their needs within 45days they have a right to cancel with no cost to them.

the Force 9 Gaurantee

We're sure that you'll be delighted with broadband from Force9. If you're not completely satisfied, we'll pay for you to leave.

All of our broadband products come with a unique guarantee: if you're new to Force9, you'll get a relaxing 45-days to experience our broadband service to find out if it's right for you. If you're not completely satisfied during this time, we'll pay for you to change to another broadband provider.

Once you've experienced our award-winning service and value, we're confident that you'll stay with Force9 broadband. You can take advantage of the Force9 Guarantee if you're new to broadband or if you are changing from another broadband provider.

With nothing to lose, why not try us today?

now reading that, that says to me if i didn't like it within 45days of migrating from another isp to f9, then i can move again at no cost to me (the consumer) and that f9 will pay all costs for me to move.

now reading the T&C's

This offer applies only if you are a new Force9 customer
This offer applies to customers who decide to"migrate out" their service.
You must tell us within 45 days of your service being activated if you wish to take advantage of this offer.
The date at which your contract ends will be 30 days from the date we confirm receipt of your request to migrate. We will waive any outstanding service contract term. However customers will still be required to pay any deferred hardware/activation costs outstanding.
We will pay the lesser of:
£12.99 (Inc. VAT), or
the cost charged by your new provider for carrying out the migration.

the interesting bit in the above is:
We will waive any outstanding service contract term.

which again says to me I definitely wouldn't have to pay anything as F9 would cough up for me to move to another suitable provider.

then theres:
However customers will still be required to pay any deferred hardware/activation costs outstanding

but if you're migrating from another provider there shouldn't be any hardware costs as you wouldn't be buying hardware as you will probably already have it. Not only that there would be no activation costs outstanding as you state 'move to f9 for free'.

the only mention of a £14.99 fee is:
*It is free to move to a service based on your existing BT product type. However, changing the speed or contention rate of your service is subject to a one-off fee of £14.99 and will take place 5-7 days after your new account becomes active.

so if a user takes them same contention/speed again there is nothing to pay.

So from reading all the above and the advertisements displayed, the product is being misrepresented if there is a £14.99 fee to pay if you move with the 45 day cooling of period, the migration is not actually free unless your willing to stay with F9 for 12 months, which in turn DOES affect the customer's statutory rights, as you are forcing them to stay for a 12 month period to actually receive the free migration.

In all F9 need to mention on the advertisement that there is a £14.99 fee if you cancel the contract and move with-in 45days.

But if the contract is cancelled within the cooling off period then the customer has to be returned back to original standing, any hardware received within that period has to be returned to the supplier, unless the customer has purchased the hardware in a single payment transaction. The goods must also be returned with original packaging and in good condition.

a nice link to look at both by F9 and consumers is:
http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/distancesell.htm

regards
mike
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

now reading that, that says to me if i didn't like it within 45days of migrating from another isp to f9, then i can move again at no cost to me (the consumer) and that f9 will pay all costs for me to move.

That's the way I would read it too. The following is the interesting bit though, as I pointed out earlier:

The date at which your contract ends will be 30 days from the date we confirm receipt of your request to migrate. We will waive any outstanding service contract term. However customers will still be required to pay any deferred hardware/activation costs outstanding. We will pay the lesser of: £12.99 (Inc. VAT), or the cost charged by your new provider for carrying out the migration.

What does the £12.99 represent? It isn't the cost of the migration as that is £14.99. So if your new provider charges £14.99 (which is doubtful as most ISP's absorb the cost AND DON'T CHARGE if you leave within 12 months) then it WILL COST you to leave F9, at the very least £2.00.

Mark
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Guarantee

The £14.99 only applies to customers who migrate in, without the special offer you would have paid that upfront, but instead we waive that fee if you stay for 12 months.

The PlusNet/Force9 Guarantee allows a customer to break an annual contract within the first 45 days, but as 45 days is less than a year the £14.99 charge would stand had they migrated in.

If they are new signup and paid the activation up front then there wouldn't be that charge.

The £12.99 covers the cost paid to the new ISP for migrating in should they charge a fee for this.
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

did anyone read the link i posted

this is an extract from it

The main provisions of the Regulations are that:

• Consumers must be given clear information about the goods or services before buying;

• Goods must be delivered within thirty days unless agreed otherwise;

• Consumers have a cooling off period in which they can withdraw from the contract for any reason. The cooling off period begins as soon as the order has been made. In the case of goods, it ends seven working days after the day of receipt of the goods. In the case of services, it ends seven working days after the day the order were made. If the consumer agrees to the service beginning within the seven days, the right to cancel ends when the service starts; and

• Where consumers notify the supplier in writing or another durable medium that they wish to cancel the contract, they must be refunded within 30 days all money paid.

read the first line, consumers are not given clear information, on the initial screens regarding the product/service they are buying into, which in turn means that f9 cannot charge the £14.99 as this not clearly mentioned

I have also regone through the links on the front pages for T&C's and F9 Gaurantee, for the migration offer and there is not mention of the £14.99 on either of those.

Also the the new T&C's you are taken too, take effect from 16th September, while the previous ones only go upto 24th August, meaning that T&C's between these 2 dates are not listed, which in turn would suggest there were no actual T&C's for migration's between this date.

I have also done a search on those pages for both '14.99' and 'migrat' and their is nothing regarding migration, so when are customers taken to the migration T&C's, as this link should be available on the initial screens, and it should also be mentioned...

regards
mike
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

Hi,

The offer of free migration is seperate to the PlusNet guarantee and has a seperate set of terms and conditions which would still apply.

The £14.99 charge represents the cost to us of the original migration in, whilst it is waived up front this is on the condition that you stay for 12 months. Cancellation for any reason within that 12 months means that the fee must be repaid.

Quick Question,

If the two different products are on two different terms and conditions, why are the two offers on the one page, would it not make it easier to understand to all customers that the migration offer and the guarantee offer is on separate rules/conditions

I've not really being following this on the forums, however, after taking a look at the WebPages in question, it does look a little confusing, considering you only have one link to one set of terms and conditions on the "Move for Free pages" and where there is no mention of any addition charges made by f9
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Guarantee

I'm not really sure how the distance selling regulations apply to the Force9 Guarantee. The cooling off period doesn't extend into the 45 days that the guarantee covers.

The migration out fee is listed here, which is linked via the signup pages.

There is now only one set of main T's & C's which covers every customer.
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

Sorry Dave,

if you choose 'Move for free' icon and click on either the F9 gaurantee or the T&C's links you don't get the migration information T&C's

the links on those pages only link to the latest T&C's which don't state anything about migration

from the portals i've followed the following route

clicked on signup which takes you to http://www.f9.net.uk/residential/

then clicked on the already got broadband image to arrive at http://www.f9.net.uk/products/offer.html?link=res_index

clicked on force9 gaurantee link --> http://www.f9.net.uk/features/customer_guarantee.shtml

then terms and conditions link --> http://www.f9.net.uk/features/guarantee_terms_and_condtitions.shtml

then terms and conditions link --> http://www.f9.net.uk/info2/legal/index.html

and still can't find the link to the migration information from any of those pages

now the link you mention is taken from the following

*It is free to move to a service based on your existing BT product type. However, changing the speed or contention rate of your service is subject to a one-off fee of £14.99 and will take place 5-7 days after your new account becomes active. See our FAQ for more information on BT product types.

but not many would bother to look at the FAQ especially if they are migrating as they will probably know what BT product types there are....

a link to this should be on the migration pages and not as an FAQ but as and addition to the normal T&C's

regards
mike
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Guarantee

During the signup process itself there are several links to that FAQ where it states that there would be a £14.99 charge should you migrate out within the first 12 months. I will see if I can make it more prominent.
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

During the signup process itself there are several links to that FAQ where it states that there would be a £14.99 charge should you migrate out within the first 12 months. I will see if I can make it more prominent.

I think thats the point most people are trying to make, its ok to charge this, however you must make it clear to all customers, its needs to be right in front of you, not hiding away somewhere on the website.
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

yep, that is correct, they need to have this in the T&C's instead of an FAQ.

Or even on the first sign up page so people are aware.

Currently I would say if F9 tried to charge people this they would have a hard time enforcing it, as its not officially in the T&C's or on the sign-up page, but hidden in an FAQ which not everyone is going to read.

regards
mike
ukbrown
Grafter

F9 Guarantee

How much do F9 pay you when you leave, I'm thinking of leaving.
N/A

Broadband Guarantee

When you sign up for something, dont you read agree with the terms and conditions? I have never heard of anyone saying that you must read agree to the terms and conditions and all FAQs contained within this siteHuh

Think PN are having a laugh with that one. Also, FAQs can be changed without warning, whereas T&Cs cant, so making you agree with something in a FAQ really is taking the *you know what*. Any other FAQs I'm supposed to have read when we signed up nearly 3 years ago??

Cheers for looking into it dave.

Regards,
Dan