Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Fault Checker

Snarf
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker

Says when I raised a ticket (no. 21072056) that

"The tests on your broadband connection have now started. Please check this Question in about two hours to see the results of the tests."

That was nearly 24 hours ago! Surely someone ought to edit the default text to remove the two hours if that's never going to be met. Anyone else experienced this? What is going on and when will I get my results?
21 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Broadband Fault Checker

I have the same problem, no sync on router since yesterday morning, tried resetting the router, removed all extentions, plugged router into BT's master socket, changed filter, reported the problem using automated tool at 4:45pm yesterday (13/1/07), was told to check back in 2 hours for the results of the test, but that was over 30 hours ago and still the results of the test has not appeared, and I still have no access to the internet.

Moderators note by James (sallyandjames) : Removed full quote of preceding post. link:rules
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Broadband Fault Checker

Hi,

I've passed both tickets on to the faults team for you, for some reason it has done the automated BT checks on the lines so hasn't moved on.
Snarf
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker

Thanks Dave.

Got the following test results

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
NTE In Service
NTE Power On
Bypass Not Activated
MUX In Service
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 35.5 dB
Margin 17 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 1146
Speed 448 k
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 58.5 dB
Margin 7 dB
Errored Seconds 11
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 1261
Speed 2112 k

DSL MAX
Downstream Line Rate 1728
Downstream Line Rate Timestamp 10/01/2007 16:04:51
Maximum Stable Rate Re-set (Y/N) N
Profile Change Time 18/10/2006 00:00:00
Maximum Stable Rate 1152
Fault Threshold Rate 806
Interleaved Opt In

From what I can gather, my line isn't very good quality, the SNR is far too low and the loop loss is pretty high. The BRaS profile for the line is 1500, but the max stable rate above says 1152.

The only other option open to me is to move the router downstairs to the socket there (it's the nearest one to the outside cabling, we don't have a proper master socket, just a grey box outside connecting the cabling from BT to the house). I can't see that this is going to make a big difference to the line quality though. Only conclusion I can see is for someone to manually reduce the profile to 1000 and go from there.

Any other comments?
N/A

Broadband Fault Checker

I also have an issue with the fault test. I started it a 11.46pm on saturday and only got a response today monday at 1.43pm so a bit more than the two hours advised to wait and check back for a response.

Further confused by the response recieved.

"The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service"

What does speed result none found meanHuh.

My problem is that i currently only have a 1.5Mb connection according to the bras profile and it has been stuck at this since the start of the year.Previously when i had no problems bras was 3500 and even 4000.

My exchange has no issues now, although it did have in december and this was resolved in late December. Prior to this i was getting around 2.5mb still below what i had for several months after being maxed back in april. Although as the exchange was marked with issues waiting to be resolved in nov-dec i could only wait till that happened before raising a ticket. ID 21072672

However from the time i was first max'ed april last year,i was getting a stable connection of 3.5mb-4mb with my modem reporting synch over 4000 consistantly.

On running the bt speed test again now it says my line is currently capable of

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2112 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1290 kbps

So this brings me to wonder what has been changed by BT since the exchange problems have been resolved? or is the problem more specifically a line fault? as i have had a stable connection for 5-6 months since being maxed at 3.5-4mbs

Apologies if you feel i have hijacked this thread a little. I thought it was relevant.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Fault Checker

From what I can gather, my line isn't very good quality, the SNR is far too low and the loop loss is pretty high. The BRaS profile for the line is 1500, but the max stable rate above says 1152.

Yeah that's a pretty long line at 58dB attenuation. That's just within the old limits for a 1Mbps line. For the current sync speed of 2112kbps the BRAS profile of 1500kbps is correct. To go up to 2000kbps the sync rate would need to increase to and stay at or above 2272kbps.

The maximum stable rate is probably right, this doesn't actually affect the speed of the connection but is the lowest sync rate seen in the first 10 days. All this really does if give us/BT a figure to go to determine if your line sync rate decreases to a point that is classed as fault.

The only other option open to me is to move the router downstairs to the socket there (it's the nearest one to the outside cabling, we don't have a proper master socket, just a grey box outside connecting the cabling from BT to the house). I can't see that this is going to make a big difference to the line quality though. Only conclusion I can see is for someone to manually reduce the profile to 1000 and go from there.

It doesn't need to make a lot of difference, probably just enough to increase the SNR by 3 or 4dB which a dodgy extension cable or faulty filter can easily cause. If not then the answer is for BT to increase the target SNR on the line so it syncs at little lower and improves stability that way.
Snarf
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker

Yeah I was wondering about my line length with that sort of attenuation. Thing is I know that shortest distance to the exchange is never the actual distance of your line, but I'm only 2km from the exchange, and for those sort of figures I'd expect to be over 6km away. So either I'm being routed an extremely long way around, or something is wrong with the line.

I'm going to try and borrow a modem/router that actually gives line statistics so I can see if there's an internal problem, otherwise I hope Mr nice BT engineer will pay a visit and come up with a magical solution (hopefully external so we're not charged!).
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Fault Checker

My problem is that i currently only have a 1.5Mb connection according to the bras profile and it has been stuck at this since the start of the year.Previously when i had no problems bras was 3500 and even 4000.

The BRAS profile is correct for the current sync speed of 2112kbps, so something has caused the sync speed to decrease. Can you post your line stats? If the line became unstable at any point then BT may have increased the target SNR (and lowered the sync speed) to improve the stability.
Snarf
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker

2nd question - can a dodgy filter that's just being used for the phone line only cause interference on the ADSL connection?

I have a filter downstairs that the phone is connected to and one upstairs that the router is connected to. I just tried swapping them over and my d/l speeds dropped to between 400-600 kbps instead of the normal 1300-1500.

I wouldn't have thought however that a dodgy filter that only the phone is connected to would affect the ADSL line.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Fault Checker

Yep, certainly can. Anything connected to the phone line, whether in-line with the router or not can cause problems. One of the most common problems people have when setting up the broadband connection for the first time is to forget to filter something on the line (either causing no sync, reduced speeds or a dropping connection).

Same thing applies for a dodgy filter, again doesn't have to be in-line with the router but can easily be enough to cause "noise" on the line or even create a loop on the line (where the copper pairs touch each other).
Snarf
Grafter

Broadband Fault Checker

Ah well removed said "dodgy" filter and moved everything onto the one good filter I have, no change in the sync speed though - I'm almost hoping there is a problem somewhere now so that there is something to fix Smiley

I'd be interested in seeing another woosh test though just to see if I have made any difference. Anyway next update on the ticket is on Thursday, let's see how things go then!
N/A

Broadband Fault Checker

The BRAS profile is correct for the current sync speed of 2112kbps, so something has caused the sync speed to decrease. Can you post your line stats? If the line became unstable at any point then BT may have increased the target SNR (and lowered the sync speed) to improve the stability.

Hi Dave

Up Stream 448 (Kbps.) 0 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 2112 (Kbps.) 0 (Kbps.)

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 17 dB 6 dB
Output Power 11.5 dBm 17.5 dBm
Attenuation 19.5 dB 37 db

The thing that is most frustrating is that i have had months of a stable connection at 3.5-4mb april - october ish.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Fault Checker

I'd be interested in seeing another woosh test though just to see if I have made any difference. Anyway next update on the ticket is on Thursday, let's see how things go then!

Not sure how easy that is to read (I'm using a different woosh test to the faults guys), but I've added the results to the ticket.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Broadband Fault Checker

Down Stream 2112 (Kbps.) 0 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin 17 dB 6 dB
Output Power 11.5 dBm 17.5 dBm
Attenuation 19.5 dB 37 db

The thing that is most frustrating is that i have had months of a stable connection at 3.5-4mb april - october ish.

Hmm, that's a little strange. The downstream attenuation figure is 37dB, which first indicates the line isn't that long - 3 maybe 3.5km, but also that it's under the old limits for the fixed rate 2Mbps (2272kbps sync rate needs to be below 43dB). And yet your SNR is 6dB. Something there is causing increased "noise" on the line which means to sync with a 6dB target SNR the speed is has decreased. I was half expecting to see a 12 or 15dB SNR.

First thing to do is make sure you've tried it at the master socket, swapped the filters and tried it without anything else connected to the line, assuming that's all been done and it still syncs at 2112kbps then we raise it as a sync speed fault. BT say the FTR (fault threshold rate) for your line is 2396kbps, which means that if it's sync'ing lower than this we can raise a sync speed fault.

If it's any help, according to BT the speed dropped from around 4Mbps to just under 2Mbps at 22/12/2006 17:35:57 (to within an hour or so). Does this tie in with anything? Don't suppose the Christmas lights went up then and are still up or you got a new phone/fax/alarm?
N/A

Broadband Fault Checker

Dave Thanks very much for your assistance,

Which has been much more helpful than csc ticket response with the latest a cut and paste job on it being a rate adaptive service, details on what to do on a newly maxed line (10 months since maxed) and to use the broadband fault checker, which i had already done and was the reason ticket was started.

That aside back to your info. I have connected to the test socket and got the following result.

test socket no filter, no other connections

Data Rate
Down Stream 4192 (Kbps.) 0 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin 25 dB 6.5 dB
Output Power 12 dBm 19.5 dBm
Attenuation 19.5 dB 38 dB

test socket with filter, no other connections

Stream Type Interleaved Channel Data Rate Fast Channel Data Rate
Down Stream 3776 (Kbps.) 0 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin 23 dB 7 dB
Output Power 12 dBm 20 dBm
Attenuation 19.5 dB 38 dB

This certainly implies that i seem to have an internal wiring issue. And interesting that the filter connected to the test socket also caused a drop in connection speed.

And finally the faceplate replaced on the main bt outlet and with all other telephone equipment disconnected.

main bt socket faceplate replaced and filtered nothing else connected
Data Rate
Down Stream 2752 (Kbps.) 0 (Kbps.)

Noise Margin 19 dB 6.5 dB
Output Power 11.5 dBm 18 dBm
Attenuation 20 dB 38 dB

So i just have to discover what has changed in the internal wiring as when the faceplate is connected it all goes wrong.

As you pointed out the BT speed dropped at a precise time/day (more info than csc gave and i dont think they actually understand the problem or have looked into it as much as your good self) The drop is strange as no changes were made at that time to any connected telephone equipment or connection and nothing was added (xmas lights up long before then and down for ages).

I was guessing that i may have a faulty filter but with nothing connected to any telephone point and the faceplate reconnected to the main telephone point i get the very poor result as detailed above 2752. So this seems to be a wiring issue rather than a filter as i tried swithching the filters round incase one was duff.

So i guess i either need to check behind all extension faceplates ( all wiring internal wall/loft hard wired no external plug in extensions)for a loose wire and if after that it isnt resloved it will need to be a BT visit to checkout internal wiring. Starnge that it suddenly becomes noisey/faulty for no reason, but i guess thats what its has to be.

Dave thanks again for your more thorough assistance and any further suggestions gratefully recieved.