cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Fair-Usage Announcement

N/A

We announced on Tuesday 25th January that we will be consulting with our customers about the potential implementation of a transparent fair usage policy for all broadband services (excluding Lite products). This follows our recent investigations into the management of our broadband platform and communications with customers about sustainable levels of usage on our broadband products.

Please read the information below about our proposed broadband fair-usage system and take a moment to provide your feedback, as we believe this represents the fairest way forwards for all of our customers. We are openly discussing the system in this manner because we want our customers to input into the future of their broadband service.

Our aims with this system are to ensure the sustainability of fixed-cost broadband products without introducing fixed caps. This will allow PlusNet customers the flexibility to transfer more in some months as and when needed, whilst still providing a great-value broadband service for all. This system will essentially ensure that customers with unsustainable usage patterns do not inordinately drive up the cost of supplying the product.

The proposed system is the result of discussions both internally and with the Usergroup over a number of months since summer 2004. We also feel it is consistent with feedback received from the customer base as a whole during this time.

Details of the proposed system

All broadband customers would be notified of a fair-usage level for their broadband service. This level would vary depending on the speed of their chosen product, would take into account only downloaded traffic, and would exclude data transfer between 1:00-8:00 AM.

As a fair usage level is approached, we would alert customers in advance by email. If a customer's data transfer exceeds this fair usage level in a single month, we would send them an email to alert them. There would be no change to their service at this point. This process will be followed again the following month if the usage level is repeated.

We see the system operating such that each time a customer uses more than the fair usage amount it would be recorded against their account. On the third occasion, the process would progress as described below. If at any point a customer does not exceed the fair usage level for a full month, their fair usage status would be reduced by one increment.

Where customers reach this third occasion, three options would be presented to the customer. These options would be:-

• Reduction in speed until the monthly recurrence of their billing day.
  • Extra capacity purchasable in GBs as per Lite broadband products.
  • Assisted transfer to an alternative provider.

----------------------------------------

We believe a system like this would allow our customer base to continue to benefit from a Premier broadband experience that is also sustainable and low cost. We would like to gather feedback from our customers at this point in regards to the system itself, potential thresholds per product and the potential reduced-speed option as could be applied to residential products.

You can provide your feedback here now – http://usertools.plus.net/QL:A4D1F7DA

Kind regards,

Stewart Norriss
PlusNet Customer Support

Related announcements and information
-------------------------
Information about the wholesale costs involved in delivering your broadband connection is also available:
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1101830040.htm

Introduction to contention and how it affects your broadband service:
http://www.plus.net/support/features/contention_guide.shtml
420 REPLIES
SmellyWelly
Dabbler

Without details of what the allowances will be, I can't comment on the details of the scheme.

When will the allowances be published?
N/A

click on the feedback link, they are asking people to fill the survey in, presumably to work out a fair use for each level
N/A

With the introduction of a fair usage policy would customers be given the opportunity to leave without having to pay out the rest of there contract

Only seems fair that with such a drastic change to the T&C that an option be given, after all people have signed up to a 12month contract in the belief that it is an unlimited product :?:

thx
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

To quote Ian from ADSLGuide

The ranges we have proposed are (And bearing in mind this is downloads only and excludes usage between 1Am and 8AM):

512k broadband premier:
Between 30 GB and 70 GB

1Mb broadband premier:
60 GB - 120 GB

2Mb Premier:
80 GB - 150 GB

The point of this questionnaire is that we haven't made a decision yet and won't do so until we have gathered feedback from our users.
N/A

Broadband Fair-Usage

If we are going to be limited then I hope that Plusnet realise they are not the cheapest.

If you pay premier prices you don't expect a cut in service and I agree with the comment of being able to opt out of an existing contract if the terms and conditions change significantly.

£40 a month for 2mb (and it never is that fast anyway, 1.4 if your lucky) is top dollar.

N/A

So they're not trying to find out what users think the limit should be more which of the worst situations they would have to pick if forced to.

Prehaps all this information should be annonced when initial ordering the broadband, and not just at the bottom of a massive terms and conditions.

So instead of offering unmetered or unlimited services are advertised as partially limited

i'll let you work on the marketing as that is that you are getting paid to do, needless to say this change is a major change in the conditions as no proper 'fair use policy' was agreed during sign up and even if it was i would have thought anything under 50% utilization would seem fair.
N/A

Sucks!

I've been using plusnet now for around 4 years as soon as a new connection was released ive always upgraded my account, so im now on the 2Mb Unlimited account or it was when i signed up but now i am being told that i can not download as much as i want! This is out of order I joined up to a unlimited account as i want to be able to download as much as my 2mb line can handle otherwise i would have signed up for one of the lower accounts. I have email a couple of other ISP after reciving this email and the have all told me they know about what plusnet is doing and pomiss in writing they will never do the same.

Why is it plus net are doing this, Do i really have to sign up to another ISP?
serenityvalley
Grafter

I won't be participating in the survey, because there's no way I'm going to be forced to vote for a lower "fair-usage threshold" on my own 512K account, than for the 1MB or 2MB accounts.
Ianwild
Grafter

Our residential broadband products are sold on the basis of being contented at a ration of 50:1. This means you are sharing your available bandwidth with up to 49 other customers. As such you have not bought a product that allows you to continually transfer data from your connection. 1:1 ADSL products are available and cost in the region of £500 - £600 a month. Even under a fair usage system, the account does not have a fixed limit which you cannot exceed each month.

The fair use system would address the fact that a handful of customers do treat the product in a way that makes it unsustainable for us to offer in it's current format to everyone. It only affect a fraction of our customers at whatever level it was set at, bearing in mind that the average usage of a PlusNet Broadband connection is 7.4GB per month currently.

I would add that at this stage this is merely a proposal on which we are asking for feedback and nothing is set in stone. This to us though seems the fairest way to balance the needs of the vast majority of users with the commerical realities of providing higher speed broadband services (Where the differential between a 'normal' user and those who utilise the connection very heavily becomes much more pronounced).

Obviously, should this proposal be progressed, we would make the fair use policy celar on our Webiste, as we do with our Unmetered connect products. Furthermore, customers who did reach the threshold would have the option to close their contracts at that time, should it be something you wish to do. Obviosuly all ISPs are affected by the same commercial landscape though and I would imagine that finding an 'unlimited' and consistantly uncontended high speed broadband product in the future is going to be very difficult.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

I just signed up with Plusnet but if this is the way it will be I am out of here and I think a lot of people will do the same. After all, a lot of ISP's are offering a mitigation system where you can join without a startup fee. You may think your saving money by doing this but the customers you will loose (current and future) will, i hope, make you loose even more money on it.
SmellyWelly
Dabbler

I've just done the sums for a 20:1 2Mbps line, given 7 hours per day at 2Mbps and 17 hours per day at 100kbps (2 Mbps / 20). This gives me a a 30 day month of 212GBytes. I'm fairly sure my sums are right.

Given that, the maximum that the feedback form gives for 2Mbps is 150 GBytes. This *does* mean that Plus are proposing to cap the connection.

Or have I got something wrong.
Ianwild
Grafter

> Or have I got something wrong.

Yep. This questionaire relates to residential products, all of which are delivered at a contention ratio of 50:1.

Regards,

Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: Broadband Fair-Usage

If we are going to be limited then I hope that Plusnet realise they are not the cheapest.

I would like to clarify this point further. There is a significant difference between a hard limit and the proposal we are making. Under a fair usage system, high usage, exceeding the threshhold, even over two months, wouldn't result in any sort of action being taken. We haven't proposed limits preceisely because we don't want to join the masses of other ISPs who have already done this or who we know are planning to in the future.

Regards,

Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

i'll let you work on the marketing as that is that you are getting paid to do, needless to say this change is a major change in the conditions as no proper 'fair use policy' was agreed during sign up and even if it was i would have thought anything under 50% utilization would seem fair.

Is anything under 50% utilisation fair if that utilisation costs us as a business much more money than customers expect to pay for their accounts?

Regards,

Ian