Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

British Gas - A Lesson for PlusNet?

N/A

Don't normally read the Indy... but:

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article2079362.ece

Perhaps a lesson for PlusNet, and disgruntled customers (like me) too?

I'm off to get my MAC code...
15 REPLIES
James
Grafter

It's hardly appropriate. It we were to drop our prices further, usage allocations would drop, amongst various other changes.

Good luck with your new ISP.
N/A

Ah, but you could have passed on savings gained by switching all those people to LLU.

Companies always try to claim that something has to be reduced for price cuts. British Gas saying it needs to lay off staff, PN saying it would have to reduce bandwidth. Yet in both companies, profits are up.
James
Grafter

I don't think we've actually saved anything yet by switching people over to LLU. Bear in mind that we had to pay ~£30 to migrate people over in bulk. That'll take time to recoup the savings.
N/A

Probably wasn't really worth it, when you think about the increased number of problems relating to LLU users, increased support workload, and the fact that all those £30's need to be recouped? Especially when some people have been moved back to IPStream since being moved over against their wishes or without warning. A whole lot of potential profit down the drain, surely?
James
Grafter

I don't think it's any kind of secret that the LLU migration process was a mess.
N/A

Well, a lot of your customers did warn you that Tiscali suck.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
James
Grafter

Not disputing that at all.
GersFans
Grafter

Good luck with your new ISP.

Thats the sort of answer that offers little hope for this ISP.

Time for a MAC right enough!!
James
Grafter

I was actually just being polite. He said that he was getting his MAC Code, which I then assumed would mean that he was migrating to a different ISP.

It's a sad day when I'm being critisised for having manners!!
N/A

Re: British Gas - A Lesson for PlusNet?

http://news.independent.co.uk/business/news/article2079362.ece

Not quite that rosy though.Although they said in the Guardian I quote

"Centrica said it would now be able to cut bills in March"

Just recieved a letter from them informing me that in march 2007 that they are introducing and again I quote "From March 2007,British Gas will be introducing a late charge of £5 for late-paying customers"

Giving with one hand taking with the other :-)
thehatman
Grafter

I've had my problems with PlusNet, but I just want to support James on this thread as his being honest is something I value when I don't want to hear excuses or spin.

The same goes for Mand Beckett. These people improve my impression of Plusnet.
N/A

I don't think it's any kind of secret that the LLU migration process was a mess.

It wasn't secret before you ignored your tech-savvy customers and proceded anyway....
N/A

Ah, but you could have passed on savings gained by switching all those people to LLU

Um, actually they did. There was a posting that said due to doing so it freed up bandwidth on the core service and the usage limits were increased.
channel
Grafter

Um, actually they did. There was a posting that said due to doing so it freed up bandwidth on the core service and the usage limits were increased.

As we have all learned over the last few days, PN's published usage limits are an illusion. Trying to get near them, through the e-coli throttling, is difficult enough. Once you get anywhere close the throttling is increased to such an extent that "broadband" becomes "only-just-broader-than-narrowband".

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Duplicate post removed.