cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brilliant!

N/A

Brilliant!

Cheesy

Wish to congratulate Plusnet on the recent announcement of 8MBit/s-24MBit/s speeds from April onwards at no extra cost (subject to line tests - speed dependent upon package). Well done.

Best news I have hear in ages!
18 REPLIES
N/A

Brilliant!

it took me ages to get a 2mb line so i'm not holding my breath but 8mb would be nice.
N/A

Re: Brilliant!

Wish to congratulate Plusnet on the recent announcement of 8MBit/s-24MBit/s speeds from April onwards at no extra cost (subject to line tests - speed dependent upon package). Well done.

They'll have to "upgrade" the Ellacoyas to "manage" all that extra traffic :twisted:
N/A

Brilliant!

Bear in mind gerrynoble, at 8mb speeds it's going to be alot easier to pass through the 20gb threshhold than ever before. In fact, given that after the 2mb speed increase all this capping started i see it as possible that there may be a trade off of less than 20gb in order to pay for the 8mb connection........since there's no sign of any extra charge for the connection as yet.
shellsong
Grafter

Brilliant!

It aint yer speed as costs yer-- its yer bandwidf mate! Tongue
N/A

Brilliant!

Yep.

The faster the connection, the less time you can actually use it!

You cannot deny that IF you say that an ISP is giving "free" upgrades.
N/A

Brilliant!

If you are a heavy user you need high speeds and preferably no limits...
If you are a light user you dont need high speeds and limits are not of great concern

for me there is no point at all having those speeds with current restrictions, and if you dont download movies/games etc then i dont see much point in having such high speeds anyway. So its a bit of a paradox

Just got telewest in my area so ill be signing up for 512k service (soon to be upgraded to 2mb) only 14.99 and it is really unlimited unlike this crap.

smell ya later plusnet! :twisted:
N/A

Brilliant!

8 meg speeds are useful to people with moderate usage requirements, not just high end users. I downloaded a 350mb file last night on usenet. This took me an hour on my 1meg line. It would take 7.5 minutes on 8 meg. Its simply not true to say faster speeds only benefit heavy users.
N/A

Brilliant!

phewes,

Agreed. I am not a high user, infact I consider myself to be a light to moderate depending on the month and time of year.
I sometimes treansfer files that are large ( between 500mb and 1.6gb ) and on 2mb this is speedy compared to my 512 days or the 56k era. But I would still much rather have 8mb for browsing and then I have the extra speed when needed.

Browsing at the moment is slow anyhow, I cannot put this down to anything more than my network load and the contention and usage of the plusnet network though.

Regards,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Brilliant!

As a very light user I am only hoping that I will get off my present 1Mb limit to 2Mb or a bit better. However the one advantage I see for me is the near doubling of upload speed to 448kbps . Providing, and this is the part I haven't been able to confirm, I can get the maximum specified upload speed with a relatively low download limit.
N/A

Brilliant!

i didnt actualy mention moderate users in my first post btw!!
Fair do's its nice to get a file fast whoever you are!!

I think for some people the high speeds will be a good thing but for users like me (moderate - high) it will just be no time before you hit the limits. I beleive the majority of people on my subscription type are moderate to high users and they will not be as thrilled with the speeds as the lighter users.

It just feels to me like they give you a Formula1 car but your only let you drive halfway home in it. :roll:
shellsong
Grafter

Brilliant!

At least you get to drive the rest of the way home at high speed a month later! :lol:
Discostoo
Grafter

Brilliant!

only 4 days until my limits are reset......it'll be like xmas again! Tongue
N/A

Brilliant!

:: Breaks out into song ::

"OOhh I wish it could be christmas ever monthhh, cause I would get a reset for my alloooowwaaance. OOOhh I wish it could be christmas every monthhhh, so let the bells ring out for christmasss"

Sorry , im sad aint I Wink lol

Regards,
N/A

Brilliant!

Bear in mind gerrynoble, at 8mb speeds it's going to be alot easier to pass through the 20gb threshhold than ever before. In fact, given that after the 2mb speed increase all this capping started i see it as possible that there may be a trade off of less than 20gb in order to pay for the 8mb connection........since there's no sign of any extra charge for the connection as yet.

8Mb allowances and caps are different.