cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bounced email

N/A

Bounced email

Does anyone know why, when I send emails to other people with Plusnet accounts, even though I put a message subject and text in the body, they get bounced with the message that they are probably spam because there are no message headers.

I'm using Outlook 2003
6 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Bounced email

I would guess it is due to the lack of a Message-ID header, which the PlusNet servers are set to reject to try and cut down on mydoom emails.
Community Veteran

Bounced email

Can you post the full header of one of these bounced messages?

I have just sent an email to myself without any problems.
Ianwild
Grafter

Bounced email

I would be 98% certain that this is because neither the mail client or mail server you are using when you send that message (Presumably from outside of our network!) is generating a message ID on the mail.

While a message ID is not absolutely required for an email to be valid, the RFC for email states that this 'should' be present. This was put in place because the recent My Doom Virus doesn't send messages with IDs and it enablked us to block the vast majority of these emails, which at the time were responsible for significantr problems with mail delivery.

Really, the answer for you is to find out why the mail server your using doesn't generate a message ID.

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

Bounced email

I guess the question to ask is are you sending from a pusnet email address or from outside PlusNets network. Posting the header will allow us to determin if it is the missing message-ID that is the cause.
Ianwild
Grafter

Bounced email

The post came from Outside the PlusNet network fyi...

Regards,
N/A

Bounced email

The post came from Outside the PlusNet network fyi...

That's cos I'm at work now, whereas the errors occurred late last night when I was at home.

I'll post the headers when I get home.

When I sent the messages originally, I used 3 different non-Plusnet mail servers (because of error messages, not because I was spamming).

I'm puzzled that all three didn't generate a message ID.