cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blown equipment?? Anyone else??

N/A

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had hardware mysteriously go out (permanantly) after the upgrade?

The reason I ask, is I went through the upgrade (if you want to call it that) this past weekend (Sun). My connection was down for the entire day. Once it came back up, late Sunday, my VOIP modem (which is plugged in to the ADSL router) mysteriously would not connect. Upon investigating further, the modem appeared to have died. I find it rather strange that it worked flawlessly before the upgrade for the last 1.5 years, and then ironically, at the same time of the upgrade, it just ceases to stop working. I had to have my VOIP company send me another one as a replacement, and the new one is working fine.

I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced this, and if anyone knows if there could have been some kind of surge sent through the phone line during the upgrade, which made it through the ADSL modem, but hit the VOIP modem and knocked it out permanently? Would something like that be possible? :?:
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I think this was just a coincedence. The upgrade does not change the line electrically or involve any changes other than a config change at the exchange.

It is more likely that a power surge knocked it out than anything coming down the phone line - could it be the power supply that has gone, rather than the unit itself?
Community Veteran

If I recall there was a fair bit of thunder and lightening round about that time.
One blast caused a mains flick that shut down the router and all of my PC's. The office where my wife works 6 miles away from me was also affected by this and all of their PC went off.
It also affected a fiends router and I had to reset everything for her as something had become corrupt preventing login.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've had a router die on me like this, it was just before christmas last year. One morning the sync light wouldn't come on and there was no chance of a connection. I thought it was PlusNet at fault - but it took a couple of days and I tried a different router and all was fine.

It was nothing to do with Max, as this connection still hasn't been enabled yet...

Can't remember the weather the night before, being some time ago Smiley

But it does happen.
N/A

Yeah, that's what I figured too, that it was just a strange coincidence. I mean, if it was a surge through the phone line, you think the DSL modem itself would have been taken out first, not the VOIP modem which sits behind the DSL modem. I do have all my equipment plugged into a surge protector power strip, but if the power supply went bad, it could have fried the modem too.

Peter, to answer your question, I checked the old unit with the new unit's power supply, and no luck. It's definitely the old unit that went.

As I said, I thought it was most likely a fluke as well, but, you never know until you ask.
N/A

Yep, When I got the maxdsl upgrade, my USB modem suddenly started to connect less and less, then it had an odd problem of causing my pc to reboot, then it died. So I bought a new, but PCI modem.