cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking access to adult websites

N/A

I have tried, but I cannot seem to find any information on this subject. Can anyone tell me if PlusNet provide a way of blocking access to adult websites.

I know that there is 3rd party software available to manage web access, but I am concerned with this being circumnavigated.

I would feel much happier if access to adult web sites could be blocked directly through PlusNet account settings. Can this be done?
12 REPLIES
N/A

At the moment I don't believe it can be done at the PN end (and if someone can circumvent the software they've probably got the smarts to get your ac password but thats another matter), but recall something in one of the product update emails that it might be offered in the future (as we've got no kids not an issue I'm too concerned with)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

At the moment we don't offer any content blocking of this kind, although we are currently trialling a service called Streamshield internally which does allow this. The trials at a fairly early stage at the moment so no final decision has been made over when or if it would be available for customers but it is something we are looking into.
N/A

More info on StreamShield here.
There are plenty of computer and router based filtering solutions out there. If you are concerned about software on your computer being circumnavigated, you may be best off looking at some of the router based filters. Of course, with any attempt at filtering content, there is usually a way around it.
N/A

Thanks for the FAST replies!

Yes I am concerned with account password security and with the fact that there is ‘usually a way around things’. I hope that PlusNet develop Streamshield asap as I am sure many are worried about this.

What would really help would be if PlusNet incorporated a website accessed list into their usage reports. If this could not be circumnavigated or deleted, this would really help in preventing this problem and give peace of mind.

Currently website accessed history can be too easily deleted, but using the ‘clear history’ button.

Thanks again.
N/A

There are plenty of solutions that you can implement yourself that have these features, and even anything PlusNet implement could be bypassed.
I'd hope that anything that PlusNet eventually chose to implement would be a premium paid for service so (1) not cut into the margins for those of us who don't want this sort of service and (2) be completely optional.
N/A

I suspect you'd be better off getting a router - set it to log all outgoing connections to port 80 and keep the logs on the router and review at your lesiure (or use a syslog daemon to collect the logs onto your PC - set them so only you can delete the logs).

If you look at a router like the Netgear DG834 it also has website blocking built in and can use Trend Microservices to block 'unwanted' content.

(routers also tend to be more stable than usb devices).
N/A

Hi,

At the moment we don't offer any content blocking of this kind, although we are currently trialling a service called Streamshield internally which does allow this. The trials at a fairly early stage at the moment so no final decision has been made over when or if it would be available for customers but it is something we are looking into.

Has anything come of this trial?

As a parent who recently discovered his eight year old visiting inappropriate web sites I'd very much like an ISP based parental control offering. If this isn't imminent I'll be looking more closely at the router based option (Netgear’s DG834G or DG834N). Does anyone have any experience of this to share?

Parental control (content filtering) seems to be an annual topic :?
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23977&highlight=content+filtering
James
Grafter

This might be of interest.

http://www.metronet.co.uk/support/security/webcontentfiltering/

May well be a plan to implement this within PlusNet at some stage. I shall make a suggestion Smiley
Liam
Grafter

This is something that we are still looking into, and we are still looking at StreamSheild but we've not been entirely happy that we can run with it as a product offering just yet.

Security and privacy is very important to us and this is certainly something we'd like to offer. We have been working closely with StreamSheild who, themselves, are continuing to develop their product rapidly.

Once we are confident we have found the right solution, and that it is stable and scalable - then we'll certainly look at implementing something like this.
Firejack
Grafter

Nothing can replace supervision. All the web-filtering software I've seen in School/College/Work cannot do the job effectively. You can get an innocent looking E-mail that ends up following a chain of links to something very suspicious.

For anyone under 15 I don't think they should be using the Internet unsupervised. I know when I've had my young cousins around this is the only way of stopping them accidentally finding something that they didn't into to find.

No web-filter will be 100% safe.
N/A

I use a product called safety.net (www.netveda.com)

It seems to work OK, although it's not very easy to configure.

The kids have a different login on my PC to me.
Safety.net is configured to be strict with their login, but not mine.
shellsong
Grafter

When my son was under 15 he was reporting security flaws to his IT teachers that they knew nothing about!

My approach with him when he was younger was to warn him about the sort of dangers he could experience from dodgy sites and on the whole let him get on with it.

By checking the browsing history occasionally it became pretty clear he was being responsible about things although once or twice he visited rather dubious sites that he clearly found repelling Wink