Hi

Got the following message when trying to email the Environment Agency:

XXXXX@environment-agency.gov.uk
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host cluster3.eu.messagelabs.com [85.158.137.147]:
553-Message filtered. Please see the FAQs section on spam
553-at http://www.messagelabs.com/support/ for more
553 information. (#5.7.1)

When I went to the site, it said something about Spam - what can I do about this, as I need to email this person regularly? Said it was permanently blocked.

Kerri

PS If responding, please bear in mind that I am technically clueless! Shockedops:
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Blocked mail

The short answer is that the Environment Agency spam protection system from messagelabs, falsely believes that your message was spam.

There is very little PlusNet can do about this.

As it said on the massage labs site, this may because PlusNet's mail server has been added to spam black lists.
This issue has been discussed in detail on these forums in the past. And messagelabs are using these black list inappropriately.

If you have a non PlusNet e-mail account such as hotmail or gmail then retry with that account.

Chilly
Griffo
Grafter

Blocked mail

I'm having similar problems here. I have an IMAP inbox that I connect to at home, where the ISP is PlusNet. When I try to send messages to certain addresses, I get this error...

OUTLOOK 2003
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'<e-mail address>' on 30/04/2007 17:10
553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1)

However, when I use the laptop at a friends house or in the office, these messages seem to send fine from another ISP. The mail servers are kept in tact and aren't changed. So is this a PlusNet problem somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Blocked mail

Andrew,

What outgoing mail server address are you using and have you raised a ticket reporting the issue? It could be something to do with the permissions of your IMAP account.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Griffo
Grafter

Blocked mail

Bob,

I haven't raised one yet no, thought I'd see if anyone else had this problem.

Mail servers are the one's connected to the IMAP account. When I connect at home on my PlusNet connection, some addresses work and some don't, they come back as 'blocked'. Whereas, when I'm connected on another connection and ISP, it seems all the messages send fine on the IMAP account.

Any ideas?

Andrew
the_groundsman
Grafter

Blocked Mail

This is a real concern for me.

One of the main reasons I joined Plusnet from Orange was that my mail wasn't getting through. and was blocked by pretty much everyone (hotmail and AOL

At orange it was the case that you could have anythingyoulike@orangeusername.co.uk, so thats similar to anythingyoulike@username.plus.com.

The fact that Orange nevertook this seriously made get a mac and come here.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Blocked mail

Mail servers are the one's connected to the IMAP account. When I connect at home on my PlusNet connection, some addresses work and some don't, they come back as 'blocked'. Whereas, when I'm connected on another connection and ISP, it seems all the messages send fine on the IMAP account.

I suspect it's down to the outgoing mail server settings. When you are connected to us then you'll need to set the outgoing server to relay.plus.net but if you connect to a different ISP you'd need to set it the SMTP server for that ISP. I'm wondering if you've got an SMTP server set that's for a different ISP when connecting to us or using our SMTP server when connected to another ISP that's why you are seeing this error.
Griffo
Grafter

Blocked mail

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the input. I've tried using relay.plus.net which looks like fixes this problem. I'm guessing the PN service doesn't like certain SMTP servers other than it's own? I have to change the SMTP server at my girlfriend's too as she is with Wanadoo to use theirs, otherwise mail just won't send. Not just PlusNet then?

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Full quote of the previous post removed.]
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Blocked mail

It's more likely the other way around. There's no reason that you can't use another SMTP server on our network but whether that SMTP server will allow you to send mail when you are connected to our network is another thing. You can only send mail through relay.plus.net if you are connected to our network, connecting via another ISP will give you an error.