cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block a webcam

N/A

Block a webcam

A computer on my network is using a webcam and ive been noticing over a long period that its related to my battlefield 2 lag, i was playing all day and had no lag spikes at all but as soon as they came on i got some.

Im using a DI-634M router hooked into a Linksys standard ADSL router. How do i block them from using webcam but not MSN altogether?

oli
6 REPLIES
N/A

Block a webcam

One option worth considering, if your router has a firewall that you can configure, may be to identify the ports the camera uses and block them. What effect this would have on MSN, I dont know, but it may be worth considering.
N/A

Block a webcam

Glad to see some one from f9 is watching. But looking at the responses it is only one who is doing this and that means the voice is not big enough to make changes only to appease. Come on f9 let us see more comments from you.
tonymunro
Grafter

Block a webcam

Glad to see some one from f9 is watching. But looking at the responses it is only one who is doing this and that means the voice is not big enough to make changes only to appease. Come on f9 let us see more comments from you.

I hate to defend F9, mostly because they are completely indefensible, but anyway... the original message was looking for technical advice from other users for something that in no way could be considered within F9's realm of responsibility.

I completely agree with the sentiment of your post but slightly confused why you posted on this thread :?
okmbok
Grafter

Block a webcam

Why dont you tell the Webcam user to get a life?
David_W
Rising Star

Block a webcam

The thing with MSN etc.. is that it shifts ports around, if it cant get through properly on port X it will try port Y using UPNP (if available).

I think the problem with the webcam is that its a 2 way stream, lots in, lots out, which will whack up your sent data, and limit your down data.

One thing that jumps to mind with XP is QoS Packet Filter

Not sure how it works, but it might be able to stick MSN onto a much lower priority instead of "gimme as much bandwith as I want!!". Should be installed by default on XP.
ed
Grafter

Block a webcam

Get more bandwidth or tell the web cam user to reduce thier fps / image quality / size

If the web cam user is uncooperative and you have access to the network card / router you try hard setting their connection to its lowest speed probably 10bmps + no duplex. If you're running at 100mbps full duplex you should get more chance at the bandwidth.

Smiley