cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Block MSN ports

N/A

Block MSN ports

Is there a way i can block ports to stop MSN Messenger from working on a computer on my LAN without affecting mine.

My router: DI-634M
10 REPLIES
N/A

Block MSN ports

Hi garytester,

Yes! here are some suggestions:-

1) allow MSN Messenger internet access & then in your firewall app's listing set the permissions to denie the same application internet access. This would block outgoing & incoming access, its stuffed then.

2) You can in windows just rename the MSN Messenger folder inside Program files (from Messenger to OLD_Messenger) also do the same with the messenger.com or .exe files inside the folder, this will disable the program. And it can be easily re-enabled later if required.

3) You can remove the messenger program entirely from windows or XP. Just goto control panel, add/remove programs, see on the left side windows components, open this applet, and scroll down until you see MSN & or Messenger, then just unclick the tick box and setup will un-install Messenger from the machine completely.

**YES! I hate MSN & Messenger too aweful thing & a BIG security risk too.

Hope this helps

Ivan
N/A

Block MSN ports

yes but how do i block it on my router (DI-634M)?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Block MSN ports

You may be able to set up a firewall rule on the router to deny access to the MSN ports from particular LAN IP's, I'm not familiar with that router so how or even if it could I don't know. On my Netgear I can set up outbound rules via the web interface but not sure about other routers.
N/A

Block MSN ports

i just need an example so ive got an idea of what to set.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Block MSN ports

On the Netgear I go to Firewall Rules and click add, select the service I want to block (if it isn't listed add the ports in the Service Menu), select Single User from the LAN users drop down and add the IP address of the PC on the network. Other routers may be different.
N/A

Block MSN ports

i dont know what the ports are for MSN though Tongue, does anyone?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Block MSN ports

Ah, I've found this on the Netgear site

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100495.asp
N/A

Block MSN ports

thanks for help guys ill give it ago!
N/A

Block MSN ports

ok i had alook and got completely stuck, heres my firewall setting template thignie:

N/A

Block MSN ports

Hello garytester,

Looking at your firewall template for setting up a rule/s, it looks pretty straight forwards to me TBH.

1) Name of the rule this is just a lable for the rule your creating so something like BLOCK MSN (Leave enabled) i.e. the rule is active.

2) Action would be deny as per the templete shows already.

3) leave source & destination as * or *.* which means ANY source or destination, leave the IP ranges blank unless to know the specific IP address's, Protocol you need to check wheather MSN uses TCP, TCP/IP or UDP (user data gram protocol), then finally the specific port number that MSN uses as per the information dave gave you. A quick google search will give you the MSN port number or numbers used by the service.

4) Set to ALWAYS (i.e always apply this rule, no special times of the day etc).

5) Apply this rule probably saves the rules settings and makes it active and you should be done.

6) Finaly I would after you have created the rule test that it works by trying to use MSN if the rule/s work then you should get the desired result i.e. blocked traffic on that service. or you could go to one of the secuity websites and run a port scan to test that the MSN ports are closed or blocked.

Ivan