cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blip logic?

Community Veteran

Blip logic?

I was under the impression that if an otherwise stable line dropped speed suddenly but then went back to normal it wouldn't affect the stable rate.

At around 5.15 this morning, there was a loud thunderclap, which did something or other which caused our upstairs phone (and maybe the others but I don't know) to make a single ring.

I hoped it hadn't damaged the router and as it's working fine I assume not.

According to the router log, it lost sync at that time but reconnected at once. When I looked at the sync speed, it was a little lower than usual (4800 or so as opposed to being in the usual 5000s) and noise margins and attenuation up a fraction but no more than occasionally happens normally.

However, as the internet seemed sluggish to what I've grown used to since last Autumn (when BT apparently fixed whatever they denied had been causing speed fluctuations, and the line became stable) I checked the stable rate and found it had dropped from the usual 5000-5500 down to 2000, rather than the 4500 I would have expected to see from the current sync speed.

Surely it's just this sort of happening where blip logic should come in. As it is, I'll have to wait probably till Wednesday to get full speed or near to full speed back again, which is very annoying.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Blip logic?

Hi,

It depends on how long it stayed sync'd at a lower rate and whether there's been any other decreases in sync in the last 14 days. If there's been another drop in sync speed in the last 14 days then that will have been the one where the blip logic took effect (which you may not have noticed), so when this drop in sync happened it dropped the throughput down straight away.
Community Veteran

Blip logic?

Thanks Dave. There's no way I can tell how low it went this morning or for how long, but there haven't been any other actual disconnections showing in the log for ages. I suppose it's possible that there were earlier disturbances this morning, before the thunderclap which woke me up, which might have made the speed drop down low. (I think the ring on the phone was more to do with the router as it's happened once or twice in the past when odd things have been going on connection-wise but it was immediately after the thunderclap.)

The phone line was noisy this morning too but I did the BT 'Quiet Line Test' and the noise cleared while doing it from each phone and it's fine now. I also unplugged everything, rebooted the router etc just in case there was anything amiss this end.
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Blip logic?

Yeah, could be that it dropped in sync rate once which you didn't notice and then a second time which you did (which would stop the blip logic). Or it may have stayed sync'd at the lower rate long enough to stop the blip logic. Should go back up in a few days though.