cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittorrent - should this be quicker?

N/A

I'm sorry and I know that this has been asked before, but I'm on 2mb Premier and I think that downloading torrents should be a bit quicker than what I'm getting
I'm currently downloading a 1.22gb torrent and the client shows the following

Connected Seeds: 0 (Max Possible 0)
Connected Peers: 60 (Max Possible 1360)
Connecting Peers: 79
Download Rate: 35kbps from 18 Peers
Upload Rate: 18kbps to 10 Peers

The download rate reaches a max of 45kbps and a low of 10kbps and this is after 15 minutes

I *appeared* to achieve higher speeds than this with my previous ISP on a 1mb connection.
Maybe I'm expecting too much, maybe I'm doing something wrong. In any event help/advice/clues would be very much appreciated
10 REPLIES
N/A

Probably because you have 0 seeds.
N/A

O.K. Thanks.
I'll keep an eye on things, but generally speaking all torrents seem to be very slow.
I'll post my observations later in the week
N/A

Bit-torrent is a rather hard one to diagnose. With almost every P2P protocol, there are quite a number of different issues to look into, and even non-fixable issues to think about.

Whilst P2P is a very effecient transfer method (if implimented correctly), it also suffers as much as it gains.

In the case of this torrent, there are no seeds.

With no single complete source, all peers are scrabbling from each other, to get all the parts needed to form a complete copy.

Testing speeds on seedless torrents is a near no-go.

I suggest looking for a test torrent, which are setup and maintained with speed in mind. Once you have confirmed that your setup is sufficient to sustain full speed and you continue to suffer poor speeds, then you can look to seeing if there is a issue PlusNet side.
Alecto
Grafter

Try this test torrent
It was downloading at 230k for me this morning within five minutes, so that should confirm your setup is OK.
N/A

No luck with the test torrent at the moment, just the message
Error: Tracker Response Error:uploaded missing in Tracker: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/announce
Will try later.
Meantime on reconnecting to the file I was downloading originally, the downlaod speed is now 66kbps (still no seeds)
Alecto
Grafter

That's odd. Still working here. Does the port test under "Options" give the OK?
N/A

Maybe I need some help with configuration here :?
The client I use (and have done for some time) is BitLord and I have the following options:

Listen Port : Choose Random Port (Currently 20430)
No Listening Mode (Will greatly slow down your rates)

I have tried selecting various random ports but it makes little or no difference and I've just tried the 'test torrent' again without success (same error message), however my original file is downloading albeit at only 12kbps Shockedops:
Alecto
Grafter

Sorry, can't help with bitlord - I use azureus, which has given no problems at all.
It was recommended by one of the tutorial team ages ago before I got into torrents. Sad
N/A

This what's happening at the moment

Progress 39.5%
Remaining 760.50 MB
Connected Seeds 0 (Max Possible: 0)
Connected Peers 40 (Max Possible: 2574)
Connecting Peers 0
Download Rate 19 KB/s From 18 Peers
Upload Rate 30 KB/s To 17 Peers
Average Download Rate 33 KB/s within 04:26:05
Average Upload Rate 18 KB/s within 04:26:30
Alecto
Grafter

Looks like it's going to be a long job. Cry

You might try downloading and running azureus while you're waiting.