cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittorrent not working at all

N/A

Hi everyone. I'm subscribed to the 512k ADSL Home surf package and am using a Netgear DG834G v2 Router.

I can't seem to get bittorrent working in the slighest. I've tried tonnes of different ports (6881, 7100, 25000, 48000, to name a few) opening all of them in my firewall settings properly like I should.

I've got the latest version of Azreus and the latest firmware for my router. I've tried it with Upnp disable and enable and nothing happens.

A friend wrote a quick program for me to test if the ports were actually open, and they were, at point I was recieving connection through one of the ports (with azreus closed, think it wa sppl still trying to connect to me afterwards). My friend was even able to send a message to me through the port using telnet.

In the Details of each torrent in azreus I can see people connection but they only ever get to the pending/connecting stage, I don't get green lights in Azreus on the torrents either.

I signed up in March 2003 and have had bittorrent working, on my old PC which has been upgraded, on the PCI modem i got when I signed up. I havent had BT working on this router but BT stopped working before I go the router anyway.

I have no idea what is causing this, everything seems to be set up perfectly and i've tried everything. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It's because you are on homesurf where P2P and binary usenet is blocked. Why not downgrade to Broadband + at 14.99/month where you will be able to do P2P but it will be slow or upgrade to premier at 21.99/month where there are no restrictions on what you use it for. If you downgrade to bb+ you will be charged 14.99 one off fe but would make this up fairly quickly as you will be saving £4/month (homesurf was £18.99/month i belive?)

Hope this helps.
Alecto
Grafter

And before you answer that it used to work, yes it did even though it wasn't supposed to.
It was only when Pn acquired the facility to monitor all traffic on all lines to see what kind it was that they were able to stop P2P on Homesurf accounts. Happened a few months ago, I think.

So you've just been lucky in being able to use it for all this time when in theory you shouldn't have.

Tongue
N/A

go for the 21.99 for some reason last night i was downloading at 380 and uploading at 150kb which i dont think even possible but it claimed it was so who am i to challenge a computer that can count better than me
N/A

But if I downgrade to the £14.99 a month option I will get a download cap right? We don't have one at the moment nor do I want one of any sort.

Why is it people using a cheaper option than us have access to p2p but we don't?

Thanks, Mark
Alecto
Grafter

It might help you to look at the product features list which shows what each package can do and the difference between them.

If you want to do a lot of P2P, then Premier is the one for you, as P2P is throttled on BB Plus, and the PAYG packages are not throttled, but have quite small download limits which you would probably exceed.
Community Veteran

But if I downgrade to the £14.99 a month option I will get a download cap right? We don't have one at the moment nor do I want one of any sort.

Why is it people using a cheaper option than us have access to p2p but we don't?

Thanks, Mark

The two packages I suggested are not capped. BB+ P2P is throttled to prioritise web surfing and e-mail but it is still not capped. Premier is uncapped and unthrottled.

The reason people paying less get P2P is that they are on a newer package - the homesurf package is not sold anymore but PN are under no obligation to inform you about every new product that comes out.
N/A

The reason people paying less get P2P is that they are on a newer package - the homesurf package is not sold anymore but PN are under no obligation to inform you about every new product that comes out.

And hence many of the problems and cause for queries. Would be much easier and less admin if when old products are superceeded current customers are moved to the new products (even if the price isn't changed).
hitachi
Grafter

I believe homesurf has a static ip and full webspace access, existing users would not be best pleased to find themselves moved to bb+ with its restrictions.
N/A

Some may well prefer the dynamic IP and other changes (P2P though restrcited). Honestly though I think everyone should get the choice of dynamic or static addresses.
hitachi
Grafter

I quite agree some will some wont, this is why accounts should not be changed automatically when new account types pop up when something as fundemental as that is changed.
suec45
Grafter

You need to change your account to one which suits your needs better.

If you need to use BT then I suggest the Premier account at £21.99

Premier will let you use BT as it was meant to be used, it would either be throttled or not allowed on BB+ or the account you are on now.
channel
Grafter

Premier will let you use BT as it was meant to be used, it would either be throttled or not allowed on BB+ or the account you are on now.

Not true. Premier is also throttled, just less so than BB+ (which is crippled, rather than throttled).