cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bittorrent being choked?

N/A

Bittorrent being choked?

Do PlusNet throttle p2p downloading?
I ask as I'm really getting same result for bittorrents.
very low speeds, even though I've tried numerous clients (bitlord, azureus, tornado, utorrent) and numerous torrent files.
My current torrent is a PRIVATE torrent using Azureus (as are the peers) and there are 27 SEEDS and 0 LEECHERS!
I passed NATcheck http://www.btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
My port is opened and passed test fine. I've tried numerous variations for client speed. currently 40kbs upload.
I seem to upload fine, but dont download jack sh*t.
I'm very sure this is due to PN, I'm on maxdsl with 4.5mb downstream and 510kbs upstream.
I have mcafee's firewall installed, but it allows clients, as I get green face/icon on azureus, bitlord etc.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Bittorrent being choked?

P2P gets the lowest priority on +nets network. That means if other protocols are using all the bandwidth, then p2p won't get a look in.

What is it like overnight when other people are sleeping?

Oh yes, and if you are on BB+ - p2p will be pretty much unusable at any time.

graph here shows how the p2p bandwidth gets squeezed at peak time.
N/A

they are

not sure what's going on - but the shapin has gone too far !
N/A

Bittorrent being choked?

P2P gets the lowest priority on +nets network. That means if other protocols are using all the bandwidth, then p2p won't get a look in.

What is it like overnight when other people are sleeping?

Oh yes, and if you are on BB+ - p2p will be pretty much unusable at any time.

graph here shows how the p2p bandwidth gets squeezed at peak time.

Two questions;
1) what's BB?
2) are there ISP's out there that don't restrict p2p?
N/A

active QoS

plus.net are actively trying to kill of P2P/torrent, as part of their cost cutting.

I don't blame them really - they blame it on router firmware, which everyone thinks = what is that sounds important.

but torrent and P2P has become part of people's life - and if it hogs traffic - well that's it
N/A

Re: active QoS

I guess it hogs traffic, although at the average 8kbs I think thats BS!!! Maybe they could do something somehow and allow people do p2p at a fare speed. Considering I was just downloading of the net today at around 650kbs, That's worse?

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

Bittorrent being choked?

everyone doing p2p has been choked at around 8k - they say it's something to do with the elacoya routers - but don't think so

plus.net have taken ipstream shaping too far.

for those who do not know - BT ipstream have introduced a new shaping packing which allows them to, if required, choose which traffic they require.
N/A

Bittorrent being choked?

BB means BroadBand.

I'm the same with torrents, unbelievably slow and so many disconnections. PN must try to stop you doing this by making it painfully slow most of the time.
We're paying for the service!
N/A

Bittorrent being choked?

I'm familiar with BB=broadband, didn'y understand what he meant. And with regards to p2p choking, hmm, I'm more than happy to switch ISP if I find one that isn't so harsh.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

Bittorrent being choked?

I think what I confused you with was BB+ ?

If so, I meant BroadBand plus - the entry level package. It is sold as "not suitable for downloading large files"

If you are on BB Premier - then you should get reasonable speeds - at least overnight off peak times - unless you have already used close to your monthly limit in which case p2p will be heavily throttled.
N/A

Bittorrent being choked?

I have premier, it cost £21+ a month.
What time exactly is off peak?

Tally
Grafter

Bittorrent being choked?

I have a friend who was with PN and had exactly the same problems with P2P throttled down to well under modem speeds, he left and went to PIPEX he pays around the same or slightly more, but gets full P2P at any time of the day.....

If you are a high user of P2P you should leave!
N/A

Bittorrent being choked?

everyone doing p2p has been choked at around 8k

Um.... nope. If that was the case why have i just done 4.73GB since i came to work this morning. At 8k youd be lucky to get 20Mb an hour.

@machina777

How many of those peers are you actually connecting to?
Do you know if they are blocking uploading, busy uploading at near to maximum to other people on other torrents. Slowed their throughput to the minimum so they can go and play a game, etc.