cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitTorrent restricted/'shaped' offpeak?

N/A

My BitTorrent downloads have been incredibly slow recently from Plusnet. Up until a month or so ago, I could be pretty sure that I would get upto 800Kb/s combined download speed during offpeak times when downloading using uTorrent.

Recently though, I'm lucky to get over 100Kb/s using the same trackers with very well-seeded torrents. Right now I'm getting 36.5Kb/s spread over 8 different torrents, all with more than enough peers.

My connection speed tests at around the 6.5Mb region right now & I can download via http & ftp at full speed without any issues. I never download via P2P during peak times as my uTorrent client is configured with a scheduler.

Is this a standard issue across the board with Plusnet these days?
12 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Hi
Look around the forums and you will see that you're not alone.
Mine are still good, touch wood, but many people have your problem.

Enable encryption, if you have not already.

Looka round a bit more and you will find a thread where Plusnet say they are making changes shortly to strangle encrypted torrents and thus improve our service. Yes, I know, but they said it, not I.

So we'll see what happens after they've strangled encrypted torrents too (if they can) and the service is still bad.

Sorry, I can't help other than that. Cry
James
Grafter

Hi there,

I'm going to be posting a reasonably well documented post about this later on this afternoon (aiming for 3pm). Basically, the long and short is that p2p & torrent speeds are currently suffering, but you'll see the specifics later on this afternoon.
Community Veteran

... p2p & torrent speeds are currently suffering ...

During peak times let them suffer and fix the fact Gold/Silver traffic is being dropped.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Thanks for the tip on encryption Geoff. I already had it enabled, but not forced. I'll change it to forced and to not allow legacy connections & see what happens. Which client & settings do you use for BT?

James, I'm assuming that we're not going to like what's posted this afternoon about P2P? Where exactly will it be posted? In here, a different forum, the Portal? I'll keep an eye out for it if I know where to look....
James
Grafter

Already done. In this forum.
James
Grafter

During peak times let them suffer and fix the fact Gold/Silver traffic is being dropped.

SW.
Hi SW,

If you read the announcement I just posted in here, there were no Gold drops last night after some further tweaking.
N/A

I see the post, thanks.

I've posted a reply there for some clarification though, as it's probably more useful in that topic than in here. Would you mind clarifying as per my questions?

Thanks.
Community Veteran

... there were no Gold drops last night after some further tweaking.

Assuming all PAYG traffic is at least Gold, then there was ... because gaming for me was very bad.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
James
Grafter

Some gaming traffic is currently being treated as silver. This relates to Problem 35406 whereby some games are treated as silver as they don't have Ellacoya signatures. Carl is currently looking in to this.
N/A

..whereby some games are treated as silver as they don't have Ellacoya signatures..

BF2 has never had a gaming signature (Is this why it comes up as "other"?) but it has only recently become unplayable Shockedops:
Community Veteran

Some gaming traffic is currently being treated as silver ... as they don't have Ellacoya signatures.

OK, so in other threads it is clear that 'encrypted p2p' is also not known be the Ellacoya. In those threads it states that data ends up as Gold ... how come 'unknown gaming' ends up in Silver.

On PAYG what 'colour' is my traffic? How is it prioritised at all times?

Why did these problems all happen immediately after the power outage at Telehouse?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
N/A

James,

Do you know/have a list of games that are being prioritised as Silver. I only ask because my kids play a less well known game, Lineage II. They're always telling me that the game has gotten progressivly slower. I was wondering if this was why.

If you have a list then players can actively notify you if they have information you need to change/update the Ellacoya info.

Slightly OT.
The other incorrectly prioritied traffic is VoIP (Ventrilo for me). I know it's not being allocated Titanium Priority due to a response from a ticket of mine a few weeks ago.

Thanks