cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

N/A

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

It has become apparent from customer feedback and from our own testing that our existing Usenet (newsgroups) infrastructure is no longer meeting the needs of those customers using this platform for binary downloads.

This is also coupled with the fact that there has been a huge upsurge in binary Usenet postings recently. For example Giganews have reported a 15% growth in binary Usenet postings within the last 30 days alone and are predicting that this will continue. Our news platform was never designed to cope with these sorts of volume, and it is clear that we would need to make significant ongoing investments in order to offer a reasonable quality binary feed.

We have investigated a number of options for better Binary provision, including re-design of our server configuration, equipment upgrades and outsourcing to a third party provider. At this stage however, we have been unable to source a sustainable and financially viable alternative. The binary Usenet service will be withdrawn from April 3rd 2006.

Therefore the decision has been made that it would be better to focus our existing investment in hardware on the provision of a text-only newsgroup service. As a result of the lower load on the same resource, and the extra redundant storage, this text service will deliver exceptional performance and will prove a reliable offering for all of our customers in the long term.

We understand that a number of customers who use Binary newsgroups will be disappointed by this step but we hope people will understand the reasons for this change and that many will benefit from a higher quality text feed, rather than a limited and incomplete binary feed.

Customers may also be interested in the following Usenet services, which offer binary Usenet services without making a charge:
http://www.yottanews.com offer 1GB per month for free
http://www.readfreenews.com/ offer a free binary feed with 3 day retention

Many additional commercial Usenet providers exist within the market. Please see http://docs.newzbin.com/UsenetTongueremium_Providers for an independent comparison of some popular offerings.
39 REPLIES
mininut
Dabbler

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

So will we be getting a reduction in our monthly bill?
ggiannandrea
Grafter

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

first we are capped now this,,,,should be renamed pussnet
N/A

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

As I'm sure you already realise, asking questions like that mean that no one from F-Nein/Pussnet will ever post in this thread again, right? :x
ukbrown
Grafter

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

I would like a reduction of £2.50 p.m. compensation as well please.

Can all those affected (everyone) leave for free Huh?
mininut
Dabbler

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

They'd better answer my question. Firstly they implement the traffic management without telling us which meant I got capped for about half a month and then had to shell out for software to manage the times/speeds. Then having done this the usenet service went down the drain.

Now they've decided that I'm going to have to shell out even more money for binary usenet access. Suggesting that we use a free provider capped at 1GB per month was extracting the urine at a high level.

So I'm making the assumption that they'll drop our prices by around £5 per month to cover the loss in service.
N/A

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

Suggesting that we use a free provided capped at 1GB per month was extracting the urine at a high level.

Especially when the free provider (Yottanews) allows a single connection @ ~150kbps.

I'd like to re-iterate ukbrown's question about disconnection charges. The Usenet service was the *only* feature of F9 that was making me stay rather than going off to AOL (who are still 100% unlimited bandwidth) or another proper ISP, and after last year's announcement that F9 were "committed to providing the best binary Usenet service of all UK ISPs", I definitely think that this is a serious change in their T&C's and as such we should be given the ability to leave the service without paying any fees.
ukbrown
Grafter

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

The T&C's unfortunatley are quite clear in simple queens english somewhere in all the legaleese that you do not read it says :-

We can change these terms anytime we like, we do not have to tell you that we have changed them, you may have to find out for yourselves.

One plus mark for PN then, they told us !!
N/A

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

Terminating Services
Your contract with Force9 can be terminated by:

1. Us giving one month's notice to you.
2. You giving one month's notice to us.
3. You giving us immediate notice within the 14-day notice period if we inform you that we are increasing our charges or changing the conditions of your Contract to your detriment.

Taking away binary Usenet is definitely to my detriment, so I'm assuming I've got 14 days to cancel with no disconnection charges?
ukbrown
Grafter

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

I stand corrected
N/A

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

Does this means that F9 will be removing the cap on monthly usenet access?

Now the only binary usenet access will be external access, will the restriction be lifted? ie Do F9 still see the need to limit a service they are won't be providing?

I never did understand why 15Gig of usenet bandwidth per month was seen as worse than 20Gig of http bandwidth or 30Gig of p2p bandwidth.
okmbok
Grafter

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

Ok When is the Price reductions taking place?Huh
N/A

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

Ok When is the Price reductions taking place?Huh

There isn't.
Marteknet
Grafter

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

I wonder if some bright spark will start converting binary to asc, then upload it to the text server, to be downloaded and converted back. huge file sizes. slow file transfers, but no extra cash outlay, this could just happen as people on a limited budget are surprisingly inventive when their hand is forced.
N/A

Binary Usenet Withdrawal

Unless things have changed significantly in the last 6 or 7 years since I last accessed a binary newsgroup - that's already what happens. Newsgroups (usenet) can only cope with text messages - so some bright spark already came up with the idea of encoding stuff.

Binaries (zips, exes, rars, etc) are encoded in a similar way to mime encoding (how mail attachments are generally done). At the time the latest thing was yEnc - though I'm sure stuff has moved on since then.

Most newsgroups were named to say they included binaries, some didn't. Some very iffy people used to take over very very infrequently used newsgroups and post binaries so that people who ISP's who didn't normally carry binary groups could still access them.

How the ISP's coped with this depended which ISP you were with, they either included most newsgroups but excluded particular named newsgroups (usually pron*) or excluded all newsgroups and then included names ones (and so ensured they knew what they were getting).

*spelling mistake deliberate for a change

I guess now things are a lot more organised, with automatic checks of message headers, etc and checks of newsgroups that suddenly jump in size.

Back in the day, I used to use a newsreader called "Agent" - it's still going and from a quick mooch around their website is still very well supported. One of there recent additions (promised about 7 years ago and delivered recently) is handling of multiple news servers, allowing you to connect to multiple free servers in order to make sure you get all the pieces of particular binary message, even if there are pieces missing from your usual server. There may well be better newsreaders out there - but I always liked this one, so thought I'd give it a plug. ( http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php ). So use all the free servers F9 suggested, and get a service similar to a pay newsgroup site (I'm sure there's very good reasons why it's completely impractical and won't work - but it's the thought that counts)