cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing issues

N/A

Billing issues

Hi

I'm having an ongoing problem with billing and I wonder if somebody could give some advice.

I've been on PN's broadband products for over 4 years now and have happily paid for the braodband via credit card all this time. I prefer this as I use the CC to organise all payments and I know where I stand.

I've recently decided to move my phone to PN and this is where it has all gone wrong. I understand for the phone product that direct debit is required and I explicitly set out (support #20127345) that whilst I accepted the homephone billing had to be done be DD that I wanted my broadband to remain on the CC.

I am then informed that it's all coming off the DD and despite speaking to a member of staff who assured me this would not be the case, my broadband fee has been taken from my DD. Working on marginal finance (the reason I moved my phoneline) this has put me in the situation where I'm likely to end up overdrawn because of it.

Of course, with the super-duper help assistant, you can't even speak to anyone about billing and so I'm trapped. My bank has suggested cancelling the DD but that is likely to mess up my phoneline (and probably result in charges being levied).

I'm stuck. Plus.Net don't seem to care that they've cocked this up and I can't get it resolved. There's nobody to escalate it to it appears.

So can somebody point me in the best direction to go? I really wish I hadn't moved my phone across now but if I cancel then I get hit by exit charges.

HELP!! Cry

Simeon
3 REPLIES
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Billing issues

I'd begin by looking at the DD guarantee. When giving a company authority to take money from your account, they also agree to work within the DD guidelines. I've never had a close look at the wording, but know that the money must be return if taken in error.

Looking into what the guarantee means reveals this:

If an error is made by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid.

If any payment is made in error, you should contact your bank or building society who are responsible for giving you a full and immediate refund - even if the original error was made by the organisation collecting the payment.

If you have not agreed to them taking the additional money for the broadband connection, then they may well be in breach of their agreement. You have agreed to them taking money for the phone side only. I would notify the bank of the correct amount that should have been taken, and demand the rest is credited back to your account. The way I read the above quote, they must do this.

I guess the bank then takes it up with PlusNet, and you can tell PlusNet to go ahead and charge your BB to your CC.

Neil
N/A

Billing issues

Thanks for that, I'll look at the small print and see what I can glean.

Interestingly the bank told me they couldn't get involved and it had to be between me and PN to get it resolved. All they said they would be able to do was to cancel the DD but I think that would cause me more grief financially than PN have managed to do already.

Simeon
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Billing issues

Go to the BACS website (www.bacs.co.uk) and look in the DD section. This should tell you all you need to know and verify who you need to take it up with.

Neil