cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Speed Increase

N/A

Big Speed Increase

I was sufferening from slow net browsing until i tried (firefox) since i changed this 2mb internet seems to have been boosted from 56k speeds onto 2mb, i have used it now for 2 weeks and it as made a diffence..

give it a go
http://www.getfirefox.com
13 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Big Speed Increase

Indeed I find Firefox a lot quicker.

I recently found a new feature too, which I find useful. It is opening up multiple tabs as your homepage(s). Simply open the pages you want in tabs, go Tools > Options and under Homepage press the "Use Current Pages" button. Then whenever you open Firefox, the tabs open and pages load. Nice and quick on 2Mb, but not so fast on my friends 512k.

I've been using Firefox since the first beta came out yonks ago. Tis a very stable, responsive browser.
N/A

Big Speed Increase

Yep, been using it for a while. Definately faster than IE for me.
N/A

Big Speed Increase

only 1 thing i aint found yet, that made me want it in the 1st place, i use about 7-10 websites at a time and my friend says firefox dont fill the taskbar at the bottom but it does, he said they should be a drop down box near the addy box, from what i can remember
N/A

Big Speed Increase

hit control and T for a new tab, they sit just under the address bar.

Cheers for that other tip Liam, thats a handy one Cool
N/A

Big Speed Increase

thats what i wanted, will that keep working up there now or will i have to hit ctrl+t to get me up there

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Full quote of preceeding post removed as it is not needed.]
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Big Speed Increase

I'm not a big fan of Firefox, I use Opera. I like the mouse gestures and the handling of tabs "out of the box".
N/A

Big Speed Increase

You can speed up firefox even further by typing about:config into the browser bar and changing the following settings

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once rather than the standard 1 request.

Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

It really speeds up web browsing with broadband.

Mouse gestures and tabbed browsing are available on Firefox (tabs out of the box, mouse gestures by extensions).
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Big Speed Increase

Mouse gestures and tabbed browsing are available on Firefox (tabs out of the box, mouse gestures by extensions).

I know, but the tabs don't behave how I like them to, the last version I tried needed to have an extension installed just to change the order of them and to open new pages in a tab rather than a new window.
N/A

Big Speed Increase

Cheers Pochard
Just made the changes you suggested and the difference is amazing Cheesy
I thought Firefox was a big improvement over IE - well it definitely is now!

Rob
N/A

Big Speed Increase

I know, but the tabs don't behave how I like them to, the last version I tried needed to have an extension installed just to change the order of them and to open new pages in a tab rather than a new window.
You can open links in a new tab in Firefox by middle-clicking -- this will work with a middle button or by pressing on a scroll wheel.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Big Speed Increase

I can do that in Opera. Also I really like the "Notes" functions in Opera.
Community Veteran

Big Speed Increase

Opera for me to m8 Wink

Allthough I have firefox as well and have managed to set it up to work almost identicaly in all respects to Opera! Except the notes feature, which is very good idd as you say Wink

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. There is no need to quote all of a preceding post as it serves no purpose.
N/A

Big Speed Increase

For the notes functionality in Firefox you should try the Scrapbook extension. It's really good!!

Sam