cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beyond a JOKE

N/A

Beyond a JOKE

What with ADSL always losing its signal, last minute postings saying there is going to be maintence that will not disconnect you and you will not have to reconnect, then when you do get disconnected and try to reconnect you can't, so you phone coustomer services to ask why and get a message saying the ADSL is down and a BT engineer is on route to mend it, no time scale given, although according to the original posting they should be their already I ask........Plusnet what the hell is going on and where do I apply for my compansation for lose of servise Once againHuh??
This is NOT REALLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH and although I can understand that you will try to pass the buck onto BT, you are as much to blame for letting them get away with it all the time.
Pete Tovey
15 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Beyond a JOKE

> What with ADSL always losing its signal, last minute postings saying there is going to be maintence that will not disconnect you and you will not have to reconnect, then when you do get disconnected and try to reconnect you can't, so you phone coustomer services to ask why and get a message saying the ADSL is down and a BT engineer is on route to mend it, no time scale given, although according to the original posting they should be their already I ask........Plusnet what the hell is going on and where do I apply for my compansation for lose of servise Once againHuh??
> This is NOT REALLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH and although I can understand that you will try to pass the buck onto BT, you are as much to blame for letting them get away with it all the time.
> Pete Tovey

Dear Customer,

We apologise for this unexpected outage, we are putting pressure on BT to resolve this ASAP. Please see Service Status for the latest information available.

Regards,
Rob
--
| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

N/A

Agreed.

Time to sack some managers and grovel Plus Net. This is very amature behavior. I appreciate that you are making efforts to fix the recent problems, but you are not giving enough notice for downtime. You are also failing to control these projects properly.
N/A

> Agreed.
>
> Time to sack some managers and grovel Plus Net. This is very amature behavior. I appreciate that you are making efforts to fix the recent problems, but you are not giving enough notice for downtime. You are also failing to control these projects properly.

The ADSL problems have now been resolved. I must stress that this was effectively beyond our control, the problems arose when BT were carrying out maintenance on a router managed by them.

Obviously the quality of service our customers receive is of paramount importance to us and our Networks team are now investigating the cause of the outage with BT.

Regards,
Rob
--
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business

N/A

> > What with ADSL always losing its signal, last minute postings saying there is going to be maintence that will not disconnect you and you will not have to reconnect, then when you do get disconnected and try to reconnect you can't, so you phone coustomer services to ask why and get a message saying the ADSL is down and a BT engineer is on route to mend it, no time scale given, although according to the original posting they should be their already I ask........Plusnet what the hell is going on and where do I apply for my compansation for lose of servise Once againHuh??
> > This is NOT REALLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH and although I can understand that you will try to pass the buck onto BT, you are as much to blame for letting them get away with it all the time.
> > Pete Tovey
>
> Dear Customer,
>
> We apologise for this unexpected outage, we are putting pressure on BT to resolve this ASAP. Please see Service Status for the latest information available.
>
> Regards,
> Rob
> --
> | Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Customer Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
>
>
> Thanks for your reply, you have neglected to let me have details of your
Compensation procedures, as I wish to make a claim for lose of service
once again and will be claiming for lose of service for the other periods
of inactivity, of which I have kept records.
Sorry but I pay PLUSNET for a service to which you have not supplied at
times and although you blame BT, they are your supplier not mine.
Thanking you in anticipation of a prompt reply,
Pete Tovey

N/A

> >
> > Thanks for your reply, you have neglected to let me have details of your
> Compensation procedures, as I wish to make a claim for lose of service
> once again and will be claiming for lose of service for the other periods
> of inactivity, of which I have kept records.
> Sorry but I pay PLUSNET for a service to which you have not supplied at
> times and although you blame BT, they are your supplier not mine.
> Thanking you in anticipation of a prompt reply,
> Pete Tovey
>
>
Hi,

You are correct in stating that we supply the ADSL service to you, however as with most dial-up services, ADSL is not a guaranteed service. If you wish to pursue this matter you can do so either by Contact Us or by writing into us and we can look at your case on it's own merits.

Regards,
Rob
--
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business

N/A

Come on guys, give Plus a break. I doubt there is a service provider anywhere is Europe that has 100% uptime. We all know the technology behind telecommunications and how volatile they can be, believe it or not, downtime does happen. Also, working in Network support, what would you rather have. 1. A connection that was unreliable and Plus informing you that this will be rectified in a weeks time to ensure ALL subscribers are given advanced notice. or 2. Immeditae rectification with little or no advanced warning. I know which I'd prefer!
N/A

Well said!

As plusnet keep pointing out they do not gaurentee a connection! From a personal point of view i wish i could actually get dsl to have the problems with!

Also think of the comparative cost of being always on with a modem, compair that to the cost of your dsl package! Then moan about getting a raw deal!

>
> Come on guys, give Plus a break. I doubt there is a service provider anywhere is Europe that has 100% uptime. We all know the technology behind telecommunications and how volatile they can be, believe it or not, downtime does happen. Also, working in Network support, what would you rather have. 1. A connection that was unreliable and Plus informing you that this will be rectified in a weeks time to ensure ALL subscribers are given advanced notice. or 2. Immeditae rectification with little or no advanced warning. I know which I'd prefer!

--
Turtel
http://www.turtels.cjb.net
N/A

Being one of those who will stick with the dial-up connection, I wonder how much you would have to pay to have a guaranteed service?

I run a service business and always tell my customers that I can only guarantee service for 1 hour per year.

BTW the BBC site has never gone down - but we pay for it!

Norman
--
N/A

> BTW the BBC site has never gone down - but we pay for it!
>
> Norman
>
> --
I have seen parts of it not working. Every website every ISP has downtime.

Power to you home is meant to be always there, but we still get power cuts and no one gets compensation for that.

So as other people have said give plusnet a break.
N/A

>
> Come on guys, give Plus a break. I doubt there is a service provider anywhere is Europe that has 100% uptime. We all know the technology behind telecommunications and how volatile they can be, believe it or not, downtime does happen. Also, working in Network support, what would you rather have. 1. A connection that was unreliable and Plus informing you that this will be rectified in a weeks time to ensure ALL subscribers are given advanced notice. or 2. Immeditae rectification with little or no advanced warning. I know which I'd prefer!

Sorry but it is attitude like yours that keeps us from all recieving the service we expect and pay for, as stated we pay plusnet for a service that because of there supplier, BT, we are not getting, so if we give them a break and they in turn give their supplier a break, we continue to get shafted.
what we should be doing is collectively taking action so that plusnet is forced to take action against BT and not keep fobbing us all off.
Regards,
Pete.
N/A

Hi Pete,

I will try to answer all the points raised in this thread. The first thing to consider is that ADSL is not a guarenteed always on service. We endevour to keep the uptime for the service as high as possible but cannot predict the future.

Taking this morning as an example, BT were remotely doing some work to investigate the ongoing problems with the homegateway routers and this led to a complete outage. An engineer was dispatched and the problem resolved as soon as possible.

In instances like this we cannot give any advance warning. ADSL is a new technology, and like all new technology it has problems - and as such there are no specific SLA's or compensation for generic outages.

If you are looking for the top end of support then you would need a leased line - 99% uptime, 4 hours response time to all faults and a guarenteed fix within 24 or you start getting money. Provided by us (through BT) this will cost you around 10 - 20 times more than ADSL and if you are more than about 50 miles from our offices this price goes up exponetially.

ADSL will reach this stage eventually and we do have plans to sell a product called totalcare, so that faults are resolved faster - but this again is only available on Business Products.

I hope that this explains things a bit.

Regards

Josh
--
| Josh Berry.......................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technichal Support.......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.............@http://www.plus.net

N/A

Again last night I could not get a PPP conection to PlusNet. I tried for 2 hours.
This morning it worked fine without me even having to boot anything or changing any setting. Clearly a PlusNet problem again. And as usual Plus Net is blaming BT.

The professional approach would be to e-mail users before any major service work that might disrupt the service. And make sure the service is NOT disrupted by having backup systems in place.

Plus Net is clearly only a "toy" ISP, not suitable for professional work. I would never be able to depend on PlusNet for serious work. And saying that you need a leased line for this kind of work is simply not true. I work in IT, and have depended on non-leased lines for years without problems of any kind. Bad excuse!

My service works aprox. 50% of the time. That is simply not good enough by any standards.

I have 9 years ISP experience now, from Luxembourg, Denmark and the US. NEVER have I come across a service as unreliable as the one I get from PlusNet.

I have stopped sending tickets in about these problems, since I never have had any help this way.

I am sure this works for some users, and people coming from a 33K dial up might think it is fast. But compared to all other broadband connections I have had, Plus Net is extremely slow.
--
N/A

> Again last night I could not get a PPP conection to PlusNet. I tried for 2 hours.
> This morning it worked fine without me even having to boot anything or changing any setting. Clearly a PlusNet problem again. And as usual Plus Net is blaming BT.
>
> The professional approach would be to e-mail users before any major service work that might disrupt the service. And make sure the service is NOT disrupted by having backup systems in place.
>
> Plus Net is clearly only a "toy" ISP, not suitable for professional work. I would never be able to depend on PlusNet for serious work. And saying that you need a leased line for this kind of work is simply not true. I work in IT, and have depended on non-leased lines for years without problems of any kind. Bad excuse!
>
> My service works aprox. 50% of the time. That is simply not good enough by any standards.
>
> I have 9 years ISP experience now, from Luxembourg, Denmark and the US. NEVER have I come across a service as unreliable as the one I get from PlusNet.
>
> I have stopped sending tickets in about these problems, since I never have had any help this way.
>
> I am sure this works for some users, and people coming from a 33K dial up might think it is fast. But compared to all other broadband connections I have had, Plus Net is extremely slow.
>
> --
>

Hi,

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing. When the problem occurs are you able to login with username bt_test@startup_domain (no password) and browse to www.bt.net/digitaldemo ? This will prove whether certain parts of the network are functioning.

We do announce all scheduled maintenance work via the portal, the idea of a mailing list has already been raised and we're looking into the feasibility of implementing this. Wherever possible we do have backup systems to cope with outages but with ADSL being a new technology it is not possible to provide a completely uninterrupted service for all customers due to various factors (individual line faults for one).

We have a large proportion of business users and it is not true to say we are unsuitable for professionals. As has been stated ADSL is a new technology and does not come with guaranteed uptime levels but obviously we are doing everything we can to keep this to a maximum, both in maintaining our DSL pipe and pursuing individual customer faults with BT.

If your service has only worked 50% of the time then this is clearly an issue with your individual circuit/account and not the generic issues that have occurred with our ADSL pipe. We will be happy to continue looking into your fault and pursue it to a resolution, in particular if you could let us know whether the above test works when you can't login with your own username.

Regards,
Rob
--
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
N/A

Snip > > Plus Net is clearly only a "toy" ISP,

Snip > I have 9 years ISP experience now, from Luxembourg, Denmark and the US. NEVER have I come across a service as unreliable as the one I get from PlusNet.
> >

I have a similar amount of experiance with ISP's in this country, and I have to tell you Plus Net is the best. The tech support lads, work hard to solve most issues as soon as posible, and they our definately a toy ISP. You may have problems thats fair enough, so work with Plus Net to sort them out.

Alan