cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beta News Server

N/A

Beta News Server

Started off being a quite rapid piecde of kit. Now it's slower than the 'old' one in all respects. :?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Beta News Server

There seems to be an issue with the synching of the servers - reader1 is behind reader2.

It looks like one of the readers is lagging behind in the headers....Im subscribed to both seperately rather than "beta.usenet.plus.net" and can see that "reader2" has all the posts yet "reader1" is lagging behind...I believe the error is when you get the header from reader2 and try to get the article from reader1!

I'll be looking into the readers configs next week but these should catch up over the next hour or so.

If you want to subscribe individually you can use

ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net & ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net

Ben
N/A

Beta News Server

How does that explain that I d/l headers from the Beta server at 170 kB/s and the old one at 242 kB/s Screenshot available of d/l speed meter)?

I wonder why there have not been any significant responses to the 'New News Server' thread in the F9 feedback NG?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Beta News Server

Hi,

I'm sure Ben will look into this during the week. Have you tried setting up the individual readers as Ben suggests to see if there's any improvement?
N/A

Beta News Server

Hi,

I'm sure Ben will look into this during the week. Have you tried setting up the individual readers as Ben suggests to see if there's any improvement?

I don't need to. I have set up Forte Agent to use both servers and I can access them simultaniously or separately.

I must say that F9 seems to have largely ignored the NGs regarding the beta server. I had to have a look around to see where the topic was being discussed.

Cheers,

Guy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Beta News Server

Hi Guy,

I don't think it is a case of ignoring the newsgroups, for myself I've been reading the various feedback and posts regarding the beta platform but haven't responded to all the threads because there hasn't been much I can say to some of them.
I know that Ben has been reading all of them and where issues have been raised he has looked into them.
We do appreciate all the feedback that has been given so far, it has certainly helped to get us into the position we are currently at.
N/A

Beta News Server

Hi Dave,

Some kind of feedback or comment would have been appreciated.

Take care,

Guy
jberry
Grafter

Beta News Server

Hi there,

What we really need for this sort of testing is all the feedback in one place - which is why we have set up a beta test forum in the PlusNet forums. If you want posting access there then sign up for a PlusNet free account (any username) and then PM me (or whoever is working at the time) and we will be able to give you posting access.

Regards,
N/A

Beta News Server

What we really need for this sort of testing is all the feedback in one place - which is why we have set up a beta test forum in the PlusNet forums. If you want posting access there then sign up for a PlusNet free account (any username) and then PM me (or whoever is working at the time) and we will be able to give you posting access.

That was a good secret, that again should have been announced in the NGs IMHO.

Too much hassle to arrange to post in the special forum, a dedicated NG would have been easier...assuming that F9 has faith in the hardware ;-).

Take care Josh.
N/A

Beta News Server

I would guess more people read the forums than read the newsgroups.... and to add the forum on PlusNet took all of about 2 minutes anyway.
jberry
Grafter

Beta News Server

Yep, that's the main reason we chose a forum - it can be done quickly without any need to get the overworked network team involved. Adding newsgroups is, by comparison, a PITA.

Regards,