Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefits of LLU to Us (The Customer)

N/A

right there are a few benefits I know of
higher upload speed 800k
upto 24mb - no advantage to alot of people, i be lucky to get 2meg on adsl 1

But the main advantage is that the costs are cheaper for plusnet so how about in return for plus net paying cheaper costs that we get a few gig extra at peak time, then i'm sure you wouldn't get half of customers opting out.
18 REPLIES
N/A

lolololoololololololololol good one, Plus net doing something good for us Wink
N/A

There are possible advantages with contention and general bandwidth availability for the customer especially as there have been more and more VP problems with BT recently. There is also the possibility that a close relationship between PlusNet and the LLU providers could mean that problems get addressed quicker than they do now (due to BT being somewhat variable) and that new technologies appear for customers more quickly. In the longer term the competition provided should be good for all customers.

Of course, we all know all too well the downsides in the short term and the fact that the although we know BT can be slow and cumbersome, we don't know anything about the LLU Wholesale providers or how well the relationship between them and PlusNet will work. PlusNet have stated that the trials have gone well, which is encouraging, but frankly has no bearing on how things will work with a full roll out. It's easy enough to keep a few hundred trialists happy, a large customer-base is a whole different story. Look at the way PlusNet has changed as it's grown Wink
Community Veteran

Another advantage is faults finding reporting and fixing are all done a lot quicker with Tiscalli than BTw, Tiscalli have a far more advanced faults system and general ISP system which runs a lot better than BTw's e-Co system
Community Veteran

For me - cutting BT out of the loop would be a massive advantage.

My impression so far, is that BT couldnt find their backside with both hands, never mind a fault on an ADSL line.

Upload speeds would also be an advantage, especially when administering a website, and uploading a 30mb database or reverting back to backup copies of a forum etc..

The major disadvantage is the cost of a cease and reprovide if you want to move.
N/A

This is something I was alluding to but have no personal experience of. Hopefully it will be the case, but it largely depends on the interface between PlusNet and Tiscali which is also an unknown. I don't blame people from feeling concerned that now there's another party for the buck to be passed to when things go wrong.
In the long run though LLU as a whole is definitely needed and should bring benefits to all customers and it's good to see PlusNet getting involved and I hope more suppliers are used with the focus on quality not just cost cutting.
shellsong
Grafter

Unfortunately BT is still in the loop between you and the exchange even with LLU
LiamM
Grafter

As far as I know Tiscali also have much better backhauls from the exchanges into their own network - and exchange contention is seen a lot less.

My maxdsl performance on my own exchange is not as good as I'd been hoping or expecting tbh. And same on other exchanges too.
MrToast
Grafter

Re: Benefits of LLU to Us (The Customer)

right there are a few benefits I know of
higher upload speed 800k
upto 24mb - no advantage to alot of people, i be lucky to get 2meg on adsl 1

Actually the upload on ADSL2+ us up to 1.5Mbps. The 800k figure is for ADSL1.

The differences are not dependant on LLU. BTw could also offer the same speeds as LLU in many instances since any recent DSLAM they have is also ADSL2 capable. The choice as to how they operate their network is a commercial one and of course may change.
willhome
Grafter

i believe he meant the upload on the 8mb serive is about 800kbps.

also on 24mpbs it get be *upto* 3.5mbps... and at the moment Be are trailing 2.4mbps
Community Veteran

Unfortunately BT is still in the loop between you and the exchange even with LLU

That is true, which means for physical faults, a customer would still be waiting on BT.

For faults like mine that appear to be related to technical issues and probably the DSLAM or some other BT related box, it gets rid of their rubbish service.
N/A

sounds good so it would cut alot of plus net expenses, know two people on adsl max on my exchange and they reckon they are getting less speeds than what they were with 2meg, so less contention could be a winner
Community Veteran

Can people sign up directly with Tiscali on their LLU service?

Ive looked and can only see up to 2mb. ?
shellsong
Grafter

Don't even think about it! :shock:
Community Veteran

Why not ?- Ive been without a connection for almost a week now, for the third time in a few months.

Plusnet seemed to be trying to resolve this with BT, after constant whinging in threads and tickets (i doubt it would have moved as quickly had I not been constantly nagging).

Fortunately I wa at home when BT wanted me to try logging into various test logins, then they say they cant see me as connected - which means someones been trying to test the wrong circuit! Now PN have gone quiet on the ticket, and it seems nobody is in any danger of fixing this over the weekend.

Ive started a spreadsheet of various suppliers - tiscali and wanadoo are on the list.

If it werent for UKonline having closed the doors on the Chesterfield exchange, or carphone warehouse having an 18 month contract I wuld have gone by now.

Im looking at eclipse too as their18.99 package seems to be a decent fit for my needs.

I have completely lost faith with PN and their ability to talk to BT and resolve anything. The fact that their product has idle timeouots also seems to have caused confusion at BT - as they started off a conversation to me trying to tell me that my line was dropping the connection regularly, so it was myrouters fault - so I had to explain about PN's brilliant decision to implement ile timeouts on a broadband product.

What confusion is this going to create when the MAXDsl is training? The DSLAM will provide a speed and the connection may well drop after 30 mins, so will the DSLAM think "oh - thats obviously to fast" and drop it down, only for the router to drop it again in half an hour?

Its a complete farce, and regards my own particular connection, they have shown that this secial relationship with BT is almost non existent, and if your fault cant be fixed during the week, then you have to wait over the weekend, as PN dont employ people who can work on various things over the weekend.

So yes in short I am thinking about it, and Im even looking at such suppliers as wannado - as they couldnt be much worse at fixing this problem.