cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been a member for about 48 hours, P2P?!

N/A

Hi Plusnet,

I'm the main user of the account, which is in my dads name.

I'd like to know a straight answer to the following question :

Q) Traffic-Shaping? I'm getting 5% of my maximum speed [Line 2272Kbit, achieving 10kb/s] when using P2P services.

I accept the liability that arises with P2P, but use it for obtaining Linux Distrobutions, which often run into GBs, and I think that this 10kb/s limit is disgusting.

-----------------------------------------

I'm going to say one thing. Your Customer Services phone-line is actually surprisingly efficient. It is a shame I am disappointed with the product you offer regarding P2P usability. I mean, I pay an extra £7 per month over a normal user for your P2P oriented service, and yet I find myself subject to such restrictions.

Basically, this email constitutes one of the following :

1) Please could you let me know why I am only receiving 5% of your stated service, or

2) Please refund total amount as your service is totally below what is as expected from the description given.

Sorry, and I am normally laid back, but lets be honest, If I told you I was giving you a magic upgrade to 100Mbit ADSL, and then let you know you were restricted to 5Mbit because you got your buisness tools from a P2P network you wouldn't be impressed.

I've set up port-forwarding on my router, I've used a variety of clients, and I've used a variety of PCs.

Please, just let me know what is what. Be aware though that if this 5% I am receiving is to be expected, I will assume you to be providing inadequate consideration of the contract between us, and I would natrually assume you would reimburse me any losses regarding my entering into this clearly dishonest contract.

Thanks in advance for your help with this matter,

Ben
22 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

What product are you on according to the Account Summary page? Hvave you also ensured that the Surf option is disabled?
N/A

another satisfied customer
N/A

I made sure that I changed from Plus [which my dad accidently signed up for initally], to Premier, approx 20 days before my Migration date.

EDIT :

04/08/2005 BPXXXX [censored] PlusNet Broadband Premier - Up to 2Mb £21.99 (monthly) Complete

I wasn't aware of this 'Surf' option, thanks for bringing it to my attention, although it was turned off [that is, classed as 'unrestricted'].

I hope I don't come across as a total arse, I just think that to advertise as 2272Kbit and to deliver approx 128Kbit speeds on P2P, considering I am on the Premier package, is a little misleading.

If anyone else is having similar issues, I'd recommend they reply to this thread!

Best Regards,

Ben
N/A

Hmm that's odd. I had a look at your hostname and it appears to be in a dynamic range (ends dyn.plus.net) - which Premier certainly shouldn't be. My guess would be something isn't right, and you've been put onto the Plus product by mistake.

It's worth raising a link:contact us ticket to find out, although the response times are quite high at the moment unfortunately. Maybe better to call in (especially now, there's not much of a queue).
N/A

B.T.W, if it helps, I currently use the following

1x BT Voyager 2000 Wireless 802.11b ADSL Router & Modem.

PC1 is connected to the router via Patch lead, PC2 via 802.11g Belkin USB adaptor. Both have the same '10kb/s ish limit',

For the purposes of testing this connection, I had Firewall turned off, and had Port Forwarding configured for the 'listen' TCP ports of my BitTorrent clients.

I'd like to stress at this point that I am not a '5gb per day leecher', I am someone that uses the BitTorrent network for getting the open source Linux Distributions, and don't see why I should suffer 10kb/s?!

Regards,

Ben
N/A

/

Just made a quick call to Customer Services, they said to restart router and try out this new Static IP, I'll let you know how I get on Wink
Community Veteran

From what Chris has found (dynamic IP range) you may have been put on the wrong profile (i.e. the BB+ profile and not the premier one) which would explain the slow P2P speeds which are what you get on BB+.

This is definately one for PlusNet to investigate.
N/A

Hi,

Called Customer Services, got through after about 25 seconds, problem now sorted following a change at your end and a restart of a router.

Not massively impressed with the slight cockup on your part but you still kick Pipex's ass!!

Cheers Plusnet, you'll know if I'm ever disatissfied again Wink
N/A

I'm glad your problem was sorted !

I just wonder how many other ISPs would have fixed your problem at 2 am, on a SaturdayHuh Could anyone post a list of ISPs with similar CS? And their prices?
N/A

Hmm that's odd. I had a look at your hostname and it appears to be in a dynamic range (ends dyn.plus.net)

Hi

Is it possible to explain how one see this information from a hostname? Just nosey Smiley

Stuart
N/A

Moderators and admins have a little IP button next to the post Smiley
krodgers
Grafter

Re: Been a member for about 48 hours, P2P?!

I accept the liability that arises with P2P, but use it for obtaining Linux Distrobutions, which often run into GBs, and I think that this 10kb/s limit is disgusting.

Are you sure about this - Linux distributions via P2P?
I've only ever used FTP, and I might be wrong, but I didn't think that there was any +Net restriction/shaping. I seem to get distros, updates etc. quite quickly.
Also, of course, they aren't the sort of thing that I "must have now" - I'm generally quite happy to start the process and leave it running in the background.
e.g. while composing this I just started a Knoppix download to check, and it's coming in at 70KBps - about 60 times faster than your quoted speed (mine is Bytes, yours is bits)

Where/why do you use P2P for them?

Ken Rodgers
N/A

Ta eurotrain4 - at least I know I wasn't missing something Smiley

Stuart
N/A

Linux distrobutions via P2P help spread the load. Especialy withint the first week fo release.

You can find it slow within the first week of FTP, but P2P can sustain high speeds after as little time as 1 hour.

Indeed. But PlusNet can't tell if what you are downloading is legal or illegal. It is not their remit to do this, additionaly, it is illegal for them to determine this.