Beats AOL by a million miles

holdtight
Grafter

Without question
7 REPLIES
keef

I would like to say a big thank you to Plus Net.

For the last two years I have had Assholes On Line, and every day I suffered regular outages. My ADSL signal just abruptly stopped, causing their wonderful software to crash and lose everything time and time again. They of course blamed BT and the line quality.

Since changing to Plus Net, I have had no ADSL problems whatsoever, and a continuous service.

Well done Plus Net.
N/A

Using carrier pigeons to send packets back and fourth would be better than AOL.
N/A

Not really difficult to beat AOL though :?
N/A

AOL's bloated software is the cause of many complaints, a nice idea for those who want an easy way to connect, but it's also let down by a lousy network.
Community Veteran

AOL's bloated software is the cause of many complaints, a nice idea for those who want an easy way to connect, but it's also let down by a lousy network.

We were with AOL dial-up for over three years and it could be frustrating at times, holding on for ages and ages to talk to customer services whenever there was a problem with the connection (which was frequently). The only upside was that the calls were Freephone! Sometimes they had a recorded message saying they were aware there were connnection problems but usually it just told you that you could access the Help Centre online, which of course you couldn't if you couldn't connect!!!

When you finally got through to speak to someone, they were always very pleasant and polite but that was about it. The technical help people seemed to know less than I'd worked out myself as regards any questions about the AOL application for Apple Macs. I'll give them top marks for trying but it was always a bit hit and miss and they would often end up learning something by working through a query with me using trial and error.

Having AOL with an Apple Mac became a definite disadvantage as time progressed. PC users had more and more software updates with exra features, whereas we eventually got a version for OSX, which is the new Unix based MacOS, but a lot of the newer features still weren't accessible - even some of AOL's exclusive web pages which can only be accessed via AOL's server wouldn't display type correctly in their own new Mac browser.

The crunch came when AOL started offering Broadband but failed to make that Mac compatible. I looked round at various companies, ringing their customer services and asking lots of questions, as well as going through the websites with a fine tooth comb and found PlusNet the most transparent and helpful, besides which it seemed pretty good value for money - we started with Home Surf for £18.99 per month - and compatible with Macs or any other computer system.

I'm signed up with PlusNet to get Service Status emails, as I'd rather have more information than I need than nothing!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Currently on Unlimited Fibre Extra and Unlimited UK & Mobile Calls
N/A

Not really difficult to beat AOL though :?

Yup. Easy as pie :lol:
N/A

AOL Support is a joke, because the people behind it often don't actually know that much, they simply follow an onscreen guide (a knowledge based application). They feed in the symptoms of your problem, and it tells them what to say back to you. This is why if you run into a problem which isn't in there guide, it's pot luck whether they'll actually be able to solve it.

For a very short while, I had an AOL dial up line on my laptop, and when I phoned support they couldn't help me.

If you want to complete contrast on help support, I changed to Tesco for a while before I got BB with PN, I went to them with the same problem, and the support guys actually talked me though the error and fix it, they were damm good as well. Gave me their personal ext number to phone back if the fix didn't resolve all the problems.